Grounding Location

Bones526

:
1999 Mazda Protege
I need a good place to ground my system in the trunk. Any suggestions? don't say "sand off a spot and drill a hole in it." b/c i know i can do that, but i'm looking for a conveniently bare metal spot with a hole already in it, preferably with a bolt in it as well. are there any factory ground spots where the taillights are grounded or anything?

You never want to use a factory ground location for audio as accessory pops and noise is all ut gaurenteed if you do. You should sand it but the rear seat belt bolts tend to do the job very well.

1st MP3 in NH said:
You never want to use a factory ground location for audio as accessory pops and noise is all ut gaurenteed if you do. You should sand it but the rear seat belt bolts tend to do the job very well.

something i thought about the other day, what about doing a ground kit for the amp(s) in the trunk? basically have 2 or 3 grounding points, to ensure minimal restance. i know the downside would be a higher chance of getting noise induced into the system, but say you get 2 or 3 good points, wouldn't that work to ensure the best possible grounding?

The best possible would be to use a DMM to find the spot with the lowest resistance, and a snooper (rigged walkmen) to find a queit spot aswell. Multiple grounds can form a ground loop.

i had looked at the rear seat bolts, they looked mighty nice.

what is a ground loop by the way?

1st MP3 in NH said:
The best possible would be to use a DMM to find the spot with the lowest resistance, and a snooper (rigged walkmen) to find a queit spot aswell. Multiple grounds can form a ground loop.

ever used the alligator clips/test leads, like the walkman? dave navone told me that the tape head method was great cause it will allow you to listen for noise in power wires and other stuff, rather than just ground points, like the test lead method;) i just need to find an old walkman to rip apart:D

got wake? said:
ever used the alligator clips/test leads, like the walkman? dave navone told me that the tape head method was great cause it will allow you to listen for noise in power wires and other stuff, rather than just ground points, like the test lead method;) i just need to find an old walkman to rip apart:D

I never used aligator clips only the walkmen

which rear seat bolts? there are some in the far right and left corners, and then there is one on a bracket in approximately the middle of the back of the seats (where they are broken 2/3 to fold down)
The middle bracket looks unpainted, while the ones in the corners are black (painted? dunno.) also do i need to completely remove whichever bracket i'm grounding on and sand under it? b/c there is green paint on my entire trunk floor. or is there no paint under those brackets?

Lasso

Bones526 said:

what is a ground loop by the way?

A ground loop is a condition when an electrical system is connected through more than one way to the electrical ground.

To prevent ground loops, all signal grounds need to go to one common point. When two grounding points cannot be avoided, one side must isolate the signal and grounds from the other by means of some ultra non conductive material. Like plastic or rubber.

Back