Good day for me, BAD day for an RX7

N1XRR

We had an autocross Saturday. I am now driving my buddies Miata as a co-driver as he needs help with working on the car and race tires.

I've been autocrossing for about 4 years now. Since that time I've driven, my 1st gen RX7, the clubs 1st gen RX7, my TII, the clubs 1st gen RX7(again), then finally my Mazdaspeed Protege.

This summer I drove the Protege the entire time with the intent of learning how to drive a "slow" car fast...and boy did I! The last race I was doing things with the Protege I never knew it could do...then my friend invited me to drive his Miata for the next year or two.

We put some used Ecsta V700's on the car and we both did really well...placed 6 and 7th place overall(he pulled .15 seconds faster than me...it IS his daily driver which he has a few years experience with autocrossing). Ahead of us was a few cars with co-drivers. A national-competeting Civic 4-dr SM monster (he wins our events consistantly), a BUILT 'vette(and this guy REALLY knows how to drive) and a E-Mod Miata. All 3 cars are INCREADIBLY fast...and we where right behind.

Its hard to describe how it felt. The car just did exactly what I wanted. I applied the same driving style I did on my Protege to the Miata...and was I amazed. It was also quite amazing to come back to all my friends, who I've been racing with since the beginning, had their jaws on the ground. I was used to driving crappy cars half-way fast...and I learn a lot because of it.

Later that day, we had a problem with the clubs RX7. Someone didn't torque down one of the rear-wheels all the way and it came off...the car jumped 6 feet into the air and landed on the axle. The brake rotor shattered into a thousand tiny peices on impact...ouch. The shock mount in the frame and the axle are bent to s*** now....so we're looking around for another RX7. If anyone has a shell, preferably with an axle, please let me know. We're looking for something around $150-$300.

Summery: I surprised myself and everyone else with my driving, and we also need a new RX7.

hard_launch.jpg

And here is one with the 13x8's.

new_race_wheels.jpg

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Yay for Miatas...especially white ones! I agree that driving a Miata is a TON of fun, they're very nimble, and can be even more so with the proper setup.

BTW, did your friend attend an Atlanta Region auto-x held at little Talledega? The car looks familiar.

Back