Good car to trade in on and resell?

daedalus

:
BANANA OF FURY
As many of you have heard through the grapevine, the banana is being parted out and sold. The reasons why are numerous, but irrevlevant at hand in this thread.

I need opinions here. I'm going to return the car to as clost to stock condition as possible and then i am planning to try and trade in the car. As many of you know, the private sale of MSPs has declined rapidly, and you cant get much more, if any, private party than at trade in value at a dealer.

So here is what i am planning to do. Trade in the car on something newER, but still used (ie. 10k miles or so) locally so i dont eat new car depreciation, and then turn right around (were talking that day) and sell the car.

I will drive it home (whatever it is) and put it in the garage until it sells. It wont be insured, or registered under my name. And yes, i am aware of the technical, questionalbe legality of these actions, but i've had it done to me before, and frankly, i'm not that worried about it.

The idea here is to get out of a car that has a limited market and into something that can be easily resold private party for no loss. Then i can take my money and buy the next car i want.

My question is this, what cars should i look at? I was thinking foriegn, luxury (lexus, infinity, acura), automatic trans, bland colors silver, black, beige... etc. To be honest i dont give a s*** what it is, i'm never gonna drive it. I'll go to whatever dealer gives me NADA trade in value on my car and be happy.

What would be good cars to consider?

So i can actually get rid of the MSP. No one buys the damn things anymore, and most people have been getting like 12,500 at best for them private party. The dealer would give me 13k for my car, and i'm garunteed to get rid of it. I dont want to wait 4-6 months to sell my car.

I want my new car in the garage by the end of summer.

lol... yea, got that... but i need to sell this "in between" car to get the NSX in a reasonable time frame.

If i could get 14,500-15k for my car w/23k miles on it i would be happy, but i dont think thats gonna happen so this is kinda back up planning...

daedalus said:
As many of you have heard through the grapevine, the banana is being parted out and sold. The reasons why are numerous, but irrevlevant at hand in this thread.

I need opinions here. I'm going to return the car to as clost to stock condition as possible and then i am planning to try and trade in the car. As many of you know, the private sale of MSPs has declined rapidly, and you cant get much more, if any, private party than at trade in value at a dealer.

So here is what i am planning to do. Trade in the car on something newER, but still used (ie. 10k miles or so) locally so i dont eat new car depreciation, and then turn right around (were talking that day) and sell the car.

I will drive it home (whatever it is) and put it in the garage until it sells. It wont be insured, or registered under my name. And yes, i am aware of the technical, questionalbe legality of these actions, but i've had it done to me before, and frankly, i'm not that worried about it.

The idea here is to get out of a car that has a limited market and into something that can be easily resold private party for no loss. Then i can take my money and buy the next car i want.

My question is this, what cars should i look at? I was thinking foriegn, luxury (lexus, infinity, acura), automatic trans, bland colors silver, black, beige... etc. To be honest i dont give a s*** what it is, i'm never gonna drive it. I'll go to whatever dealer gives me NADA trade in value on my car and be happy.

What would be good cars to consider?

No offense, but that's the most idiotic plan I've ever heard. You're wrong about trade in. I don't care what kind of car it is, you can always sell it for thousands more yourself. Especially with sites like Autotrader where your buying market is nationwide. Buying another car from a dealer is a horrible idea too. You can always buy cheaper private. Lastly, you're forgetting about taxes. Do you pay title tax in your state?

Once again, i'm aware of the generalities of your statement and agree with them, BUT, the rule doesnt apply to the current MSP market. The average MSP on autotrader has been there for OVER 6 MONTHS. The average selling price on this forum in the last 3 months (if they sell at all, lately, "i cant sell me MSP at all" threads have become quite common) is around 13,000 dollars, which is exactly what i can get from a dealer trade in.

And as for the tax, yes we do, but as previously stated, I AM NOT REGISTERING THE CAR, thus, i am not paying sales tax on the car because it wont be insured or registered.

most STi's and Evo's have kept their value... an Lexus and BMW's also hold their value well... as well

daedalus said:
Once again, i'm aware of the generalities of your statement and agree with them, BUT, the rule doesnt apply to the current MSP market. The average MSP on autotrader has been there for OVER 6 MONTHS. The average selling price on this forum in the last 3 months (if they sell at all, lately, "i cant sell me MSP at all" threads have become quite common) is around 13,000 dollars, which is exactly what i can get from a dealer trade in.

And as for the tax, yes we do, but as previously stated, I AM NOT REGISTERING THE CAR, thus, i am not paying sales tax on the car because it wont be insured or registered.

Has a dealer actually made that offer to you, ironclad? I've had dealers tell me a lot of things and they typically change when it comes time to nail them down.

Also, if you buy a car how are you not going to register it? Even if you did, a third party buyer would be very suspicious as to you selling a car with someone else's name on the title.

Yes, i've had actual offers from 2 dealers for that price as long as i get something above 25k from them.

Well the funny part is, we just bought a car last weekend (my father did at least) from a guy in Arizona who did the exact same thing. He just put temp tags on it and parked it until it sold. Went down to the DMV with my father to transfer the title, put my dads name on it, they signed it, and that was that.

I dont think it should be that big of a deal.

YellowSpeedInNY said:
The msp market may not be good now but you never know in the future, but oh well

im just thinking of keeping the MSP until either it dies out, or i get enough to make a project car, and put an MS3 engine/tranny in it

daedalus said:
Yes, i've had actual offers from 2 dealers for that price as long as i get something above 25k from them.

Well the funny part is, we just bought a car last weekend (my father did at least) from a guy in Arizona who did the exact same thing. He just put temp tags on it and parked it until it sold. Went down to the DMV with my father to transfer the title, put my dads name on it, they signed it, and that was that.

I dont think it should be that big of a deal.

Well I hope it works out for you. Good luck! :)

with out ofense i don't see the point of selling the msP!!! Its a limited car and because of that its special too!! WHo knows maybe it will get more value in the future ( i hope)..

Back