GM Top Engine Cleaner

andrew.savage

:
2006 Mazda 3 5-Door
Hi all, this question is motorcycle related. I was recently advised that to stop the smoking problem in my 2003 Buell Blast, I should use GM Top Engine Cleaner, pour it where the spark plug goes in and then let it sit overnight. So my questions is for one, anyone familiar with this product and does it work, and second, where can buy this stuff, because I cannot find a single place online to purchase it. Thanks all!

Pics for Clicks!

146_03_zoom+2003_buell_blast+right.jpg

Gear_GMTEC130x220.jpg

It's supposedly stronger than Seafoam. I saw a thread on Bob is the oil guy about it. Never have used the stuff but I do use Seafoam in every engine that I have. I suppose you could contact a GM parts supplier to see if its available. 3M makes it and CA outlawed its use. So you might be SOL and if so just go with Seafoam or any other TEC such as BG, Wynne etc. Might have to do several treatments.

Not quite sure what the smoking progblem is. Basically, it burns about 1 qt every 500 miles and the smoke comes out of the exhaust when the engine is coming down in the revs after you give it a good spin on the throttle. It does not happen when you are climbing in RPMS, just when it starts to come back down to idle.

When I was a engine systems tech in the 80's, we would use this on older engines that had a lot of deposits on the valves, acting as a sponge and soaking up fuel, creating a lean condition that was otherwise uncorrectable. The process in which we used it is, you would slowly pour it into the TBI or carb while the engine was running, and stall it toward the end by pouring it faster. Let it sit for an hour or two, fire it up, take it for a hard run, then change all the plugs, oil, filter, etc.

Latest posts

Back