"Genuine" Mazda All-Weather mats - disappointing durability!

J.P.

:
09 Mazda 5 GT, '88 GTX
We bought our 5-speed manual 5 in Late November 2009. Immediately, I bought and installed the factory accessory all-weather mats. By the end of the first winter, I removed them, and installed the summer mats (about 10000 km at that time). I noticed the drivers "heel pad" showed heavy wear. My wife is not the type to wear a lot of dress-shoes, and definitely no high heels, so I questioned the wear. By the end of the second winter (this spring), there was mud on the carpet under the drivers mat. I looked closer, and the heel pad had split about 1" clean through. I asked the local service manager, and he said there was no warranty on mats - just a wearable item. Total crap as far as I am concerned. I still have the original Pants-Saver Wal Mart specials in my other car after 12 years and 277000km. I looked at a used 2007 Mazda 5 automatic with 67000km on it, and the mat was worn through in exactly the same spot at your right foot heel.

I guess I will order Weather Tech fronts, and replace the rear when it wears out. Besides a poor design, the lack of a center-aisle mat, and 3rd row mat with the set makes me regret buying them. They built a 3-row seating vehicle - does it not make sense to make mats for all 3 rows? We actually use our 3rd row - ALL YEAR ROUND!

Ok, rant over.

- JP.

I used the Mazda all-weather mats in my MS3 for one winter; you are absolutely correct, they're junk. When we bought the 5, the first thing I did was order Weathertech mats for the first two rows and front mats for my MS3. They're not cheap but they are worth every penny. If anyone is considering the Mazda mats, don't waste your time or your money.

Based on your reports and other posts, I've ordered a set of Weathertech mats for my 2010 5 Sport. Looking forward to them because I really don't like the carpet mats that came with the 5.

I checked the Weather Tech site when we bought ours, and they did not list that model for the 5 at that time. That is what I plan to get for ours.

They're not cheap but they are worth every penny.

Those are nice! But not $200-$300 nice!

It depends on how long you plan on keeping your car, how messy the occupants are (two girls 3&7) and the weather conditions you expect to face (rain/snow). I assess with high confidence this was money well spent for my family. They'll occasionally run a sale or offer free shipping.

I can see how places that have snow could benefit. We here in Florida are among the rainiest states. Have some pretty messy conditions here - I don't even live on a paved road. I think the high price is because of the digital fit. There must be some deep universals that can do the job acceptably too?

I can see how places that have snow could benefit. We here in Florida are among the rainiest states. Have some pretty messy conditions here - I don't even live on a paved road. I think the high price is because of the digital fit. There must be some deep universals that can do the job acceptably too?

The best thing about the WeatherTech mats are the huge side lips on them; they'll keep all the rain, snow, slush off the carpets for sure.

The site states not to use these mats with a manual transmission. Do the mats not clear the clutch pedal? I'm looking for all weather mats and the WeatherTech seem really good. Has anyone used these mats with a manual transmission can confirm that it works?

The site states not to use these mats with a manual transmission. Do the mats not clear the clutch pedal? I'm looking for all weather mats and the WeatherTech seem really good. Has anyone used these mats with a manual transmission can confirm that it works?

Good catch! Why did they put that in small print at the bottom of the page?!!! I really do not like the gap it shows on their basic all-weather mats. Anyone with feedback on this?

I received a set of Weathertech floor mats today. They appear to be good quality. For my 2010 Sport, the rear mats will have to be trimmed slightly. Plenty of curved lines to follow as a guide.
The fronts fit as shown on their site. One thing, has to be a least one, the mat retention hole is on the right side of the driver's mat. On my Sport it has to be on the left. Weathertech told me this is the best fit they have for the Mazda5. So if this bothers you, beware. I don't expect this mat to move around.

I don't know about the WeatherTech mats, but I can tell you that I've started having problems with the stock all-weather mats in my '07 w/manual trans. A couple of months ago, I noticed that whenever I fully depressed the clutch, the top right corner of the mat would catch on the bottom of the pedal (I took the carpet mats out a long time ago). I didn't worry too much about it for a while and lived with it. About a week ago, enough of the all weather mat pulled up with the clutch to catch on the brake pedal. When that happened, I knew it was time to 'quit living with it' and got home, took a utility knife and cut out a portion of the top of the all-weather mat where it was catching on the mat. I assume that situation might have something to do with the recommendation not to use those mats with a manual.
Also, it makes me wonder, I never had the problem with clearance and the clutch until the car was about three years old. I wonder if this means there's been some clutch wear and the pedal "sinks" farther than it used to?
I don't think my left leg has grown an inch or two... :)

I don't think my left leg has grown an inch or two... :)

Haha. If you use the retention hole and hook there should be no problem. You might just need to pull it backwards a bit. I have the same all weather mats from the factory and also using sports pedals and I do not have problems with the mats.

Nope...I use the retention hole and hook .... since day one.
Strange thing is... the mat clearance problem only started a short time ago and I've had the car three years. Weird, huh?

ive had the digitalfit mats on order since the beginning of this month...they told me today they are back ordered for at least another 2 weeks...must be pretty popular :(

I just got the Weather Tech mats for the front and the back. They seem really good, the test will be this winter.

The only problem I've got is that the drivers mat has the hook hole on the wrong side. The hook in my Mazda 5 is on the left and the mat hole is on the right.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanx, Glenn |B)

I didn't have that exact problem; my retention hole is on the left also, but there was no retention hole in the mat. So...I pulled out my trusty cordless drill and put one in where it was obviously supposed to have one.

Hi, i am a new member on this forum. I received my DigitalFit today, the mats fit is perfect. My car as a manual transmission and there absolutely no problem.

Attachments

• P1100440.JPG
    P1100440.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 162

Latest posts

Back