Gas Milage difference between 2010 and 2011 Touring models?

sprinkle

:
Mazda, cx-9 touring
We're looking at buying a CX-9 Touring model and were going to go with the 2010 to get a better deal (~$1500), but the 2011 is rated 17/24mpg while the 2010 gets 16/22mpg. Is this a matter of the EPA test procedure changing or is there really a difference in the control module or something that accounts for a real improvement, small though it is? Thanks!

I don't know if there has been any changes in the way EPA test MPG (don't think so).
However, no one seems to know what leads to the increase of MPG either. At least not me.

I would go with the 2011. The price difference is small enough considering you are going up one model year which will have improved resale/ trade-in value 4 years down the road.

We're looking at buying a CX-9 Touring model and were going to go with the 2010 to get a better deal (~$1500), but the 2011 is rated 17/24mpg while the 2010 gets 16/22mpg. Is this a matter of the EPA test procedure changing or is there really a difference in the control module or something that accounts for a real improvement, small though it is? Thanks!

This happened with the similar engines Ford has in its vehicles (like the Edge). I don't believe EPA changed their testing guidelines, but I'm not really sure what Ford/Mazda did to get the better fuel mileage on the newer models. If you plan on keeping the car for at least 5 + years, then go with the 2010, if you are one that trades in often, then get the 2011.

Heard from other forum that the differences are purely in fuel control programming.

Forget about MPG

No doubt you've made your decision by now (2 1/2 months later), but for general information, don't worry about the mileage -- you'll never consistently see the top numbers, anyway.

Since fuel economy is one of the 9's few weak spots (albeit a big one as gas heads up $4), better to decide on other factors, such as the price difference you mentioned.

Back