gapping specs for new plugs

tcrawford97

:
'03 Mazdaspeed Protege Spicy Orange
I know that the factory gap for the MSP plugs are between .028 and .032 but I am getting ready to replace all spark related items (coils, boots, wires and plugs) and need to know what gap to set for new plugs. There is a lot of info on the forum about what plugs to go with and I think I have settled with the NGK BKR7EIX-11 since they are an iridium colder plug, but the factory gap is set at 1.1. that seems to be a pretty drastic change from the factory plug gap. Ive done some research and have seen some others gap these plugs down to .7 or .8 would this be safe? anyone with knowledge on these or other aftermarket plugs and the performance they achieved would be greatly appreciated!!

There is no need to "upgrade" any of those parts, as OEM parts are really as good as you can get. Plus our cars run like s*** on Iridium plugs, I used them before and it was the worst $30 I ever spent.

OEM coils
OEM wires (or NGK would be the only aftermarket wires I would suggest)
NGK ZFR6F-11 plugs with stock gap

End of story.

There is no need to "upgrade" any of those parts, as OEM parts are really as good as you can get. Plus our cars run like s*** on Iridium plugs, I used them before and it was the worst $30 I ever spent.

OEM coils

End of story.

i've heard good things about the beck/arnley coils, so that is potentially an alternative to OEM.

also, for those running 9psi and up of boost, i thought it was recommended to go with plugs that are one step colder.

OEM coils

End of story.

++ Good Sh*t

I am swapping out the coils, boots and wires with the beck/arnley replacements from rockauto just as a preventative maintenance measure but my car is modified and running 11 psi. I think I need a colder plug and the
zfr6f-11 plugs are stock heat range.

I am swapping out the coils, boots and wires with the beck/arnley replacements from rockauto just as a preventative maintenance measure but my car is modified and running 11 psi. I think I need a colder plug and the
zfr6f-11 plugs are stock heat range.
In that case, go with the ZFR7F-11s.. you failed to mention the 11 psi in your first post ;)
what about nology wires?

Garbage.

I use PJ copper BKR7E-11's, normally copper is better for F/I engines just because it can dissipate the heat faster than platinum/nickle/iridium. I replace mine every 3,000 miles though too..

i've heard good things about the beck/arnley coils, so that is potentially an alternative to OEM.
B/A is a quality OE aftermarket manufacture for sure.

Back