FYI For A DIY 1.6ZM Turbo Kit: Part 1 & 2

biknman

:
99 1.6T Protege
The following is a cut and paste I pulled form a PM question on what would be needed after buying one of my DIY exhaust header flanges to build a DIY low boost turbo kit for the 1.6 ZM Proetege. It can all be done for under $1000.00 easily and you'd have the skills, knowledge, and tools (MIG WELDER) to make a lot more than just a turbo set up.

QUOTE,
"Question: If I go turbo in the 1.6, what is the best inexpensive, yet reliable way to do it... a kit or piece together. I've never put that kind of work into my car"

ANSWER: First get Corky Bell's Book Maximum Boost read it ten times then get a book titled How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems byJeff Hartman for understanding how EFI works and making it work for you. And either get the Hayes or Clinton service manual for the 1.6 Protg and maybe even the 99 Protg Field Manual service manual form the factory. I got one of ebay for like $10.

Then buy one of my exhaust flanges for the 1.6 motor. Then go to Sears, Lowes, Home Dept, Harbor Freight preferable a local welding supply shop get a now very afford MIG welder now a days under $200. Practice by making a nice welding table or coffee table or wall art for mom or the girlfriend.

Then make sure the engine is in top condition (maintenance should always be kept up to standards) with good tune up per standards set in the service manuals. Perform a compression and or leak down test make sure all is with in factory specs. Install new time belt or verify it’s good to go along with accessory belts. Upgrade oil to maybe a synthetic with lower cold weight viscosity for proper lubing of the turbo I use 5-30W. Add in a good oil filter. Considered maybe install an oil cooler cheap of eBay now-a-days. The turbo will mean keeping tabs on the oil due to the turbo adding extra wear and heat which means you'll have to stay on top monitoring the oil (make it a habit when putting gas in the car check the oil). You need to be prepared perform frequent oil and changes depending on how you drive the car. If I did a track day in July with five 20 minutes sessions on the daily driver I’d be change the oil before the event and maybe after if it really worn down. . The coolant system do a system flush and pressure check, mach sure all hoses are good. Then maybe consider installing a slight higher pressure cap (if the stock rad has lots of miles behind it these maybe to mush for the epoxy seals and spring a leak) or lower thermostat or best would be an fat racing aluminum bigger volume radiator w/1.1/3.bar cap. I ran a racing aluminum 55mm thick radiator made for use on a civic/ de-sol. Half the widths of stock but the same volume so I got the radiator over to the driver side more away form the turbo and header preventing it form getting heat soaked. I ran it with an 1.3 bar cap, 190 thermostat, silicon hoses, and 16" slim line fan the put out like 1400CFM at very low amps. I never had any cooling issues and it made more room for my oil cooler, turbo, external wastegate, header, downpipe, configuration. Of course I had no air conditioning either tit-for-tatJ. The Ignition system get some cooler heat range plugs (don't forget anti-seize on the threads as you'll want to be checking your plugs often one good way to see if your running lean or rich along with regular compression checks which means regularly removing the plugs) plus get some new plug wires and put AMBLE amounts of die-electric grease on all the electrical connections (to include the top of the plugs) in the engine bay at least once a year. Make sure the battery is charging up good and holding its charge that along with checking the alternators output is good and steady under load. Maybe consider getting a red or yellow top Optima. Make sure you have good grounding to the engine and chassis. The Hayes service manual explains all these and has checks you can do. . The wiring/electrical does go bad and faster then you think. Lastly check the fuel system via pressure check at idle thru WOT. Consider getting the injectors serviced/cleaned or bigger ones if you want to run higher boost. Also think about replacing the stock fuel pump with a Walboro 255gph bump very easy to do, basically all imports use the same type of internal fuel pump. I've ran a Walboro 255gph intended for a WRX in the Protg no problem.

Now you’re ready for the turbo build. Start by buying a universal stainless steel header kit or steel if you want to go cheaper in 1 1/4" depending on the exhaust port sizes (Can’t remember what they are) with lots of bends for the making header basically just a big box of U bends is what needed. Then get a universal Stainless steel 2 1/2" exhaust pipe kit for making the down-pipe and exhaust system. If it doesn’t come with it get a piece of flex pipe for the mid pipe to isolate engine movement. A couple set of flanges or wide clamps for the downpipe to connection midpipe to the rest of the exhaust system connection may need one for routing the exhaust over the rear suspension to the muffler.. Some hangers and your done all cheap of eBay or several source on the web JEGs, Summit, Speedway, etc and if you need something quick there tons of muffler shops around that will sale ya just piece of pipe. If you need a cat get the highest flowing one you can afford same with the muffler. I like the new www.aeroexhaust.com brand of mufflers (used by Grand Am American Lemans series etc). NOTE the trick with exhaust system is to never go smaller in pipe diameter than the outlet diameter of the turbo, form the down pipe all the way back to the tail pipe. And if you do step it up in diameter anywhere in the system say at the cat or muffler do not step it back down in diameter after it. Then get the turbo a T3, 14G, or IHI VF22 etc (depends on what you want high end boost or quick spool up and what’s available) turbo kit of eBay that comes with the oil lines and stainless steel manifold and downpipe flanges I’ve seen them as cheap as $300 Always get new turbo if you can used ones are going to have issues unless you know the source and the condition of the turbo. Rebuilding the turbo seals is not the hard and kits be found all over eBay. . FYI The turbo oil supply will be via tapping into the OEM oil pressure sensor port on the engine block via a tee fitting which by the way is weird BPT or metric pipe thread pattern. Once you get the oil sender out you can measure the threads see what is you need. The oil drain will go into the top of the oil pan via a fitting all supplied in the kits usually. Then from eBay get an universal FMIC (Front Mount Intercooler) kit don't get a huge one ( like a lot of bone heads do) that will cause a lot of lag very bad, get one with a selection of IC piping with different bends, t-bolt clamps and couplers for like $150. Keep the FMIC size no bigger than maybe 15" long x 10' high x 3" wide with the IC piping being 2" for the inlet form turbo (you’ll need to measure your turbo high side outlet diameter) and 21/2" outlet to the throttle body which I believe is 60mm just under 2 ” . Next get a BOV (Blow Off Valve) kit that has small piece of pipe same diameter as your FMIC outlet 2 ” piping with the BOV flange welded to it usually around $50 of eBay. Then you’ll need a Raising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) kit from eBay usually around $50 that can do something like 7:1. The Super FPR like the ones from Bell or Vortec are nice as they can be adjusted to what ever manifold pressure level to fuel pressure raising rate i.e.2:1 to 12:1 you want. This will allow you to set the base fuel pressure which is spec around 38-40 psi and then under boost at six pounds you’ll have fuel pressure around 70-80 psi. Which means you’ll be forcing more fuel in needed for the added air for a proper AFR, which under boost should be somewhere between 13:1-10:1 around 11:1 I consider optimal for low boost in the 1.6 ZM but I’m way conservative on AFRs under boost more so than most but I’ve never blown a motor either form being to lean. . Remember after reading the above books these will all be easily to understand Plan on making six pounds of boost with an external or internal wastegate. Wastegate depend on the type of turbo you get if has internal onw or not I like external ones as they are easier to control but makes for more fabrication work and add to the price of it all. The wastegate is used to control boost via a spring and or diaphragm controlling a bypass valve for routing exhaust gases around the turbo once the desired boost level is reached. . With the external wastegate you can set the boost level via a spring rated for given boost level and forget about it. Very response, no fuss, and works every time no worries. Boost controllers add expense and weather manual or electrical are just and all around general pain in the ass they never seem to work right difficult to set up etc etc etc. On the 1.6 ZM at 6 to 8 pounds of boost you will be easily upping the power by 40% J! The power increase will be from 87whp to about 147whp that’s the results I got from my first turbo set up which is basically the same as being described where but with a used T25 turbo and a very small 1gen Eclipse side mount IC. On stock injectors and stock fuel pump eBay FPR an AFC two check valve inline on the MAP sensor. And a 2 cat back with anRandom Technology cat and cheap coffee can universal muffler! This will also cause you to need a new upgraded clutch as it will overpower the stock clutch handling capabilities. Depending on the age of the clutch and how you drive the now boosted, higher horse power motor will burn the clutch up in very sort amount of time if it holds at all. Also plan on getting the flywheel resurfaced when doing a clutch as 95% percent of time it will need it. Also note every time you replace a clutch and or flywheel always get a new throughout bearing for the clutch and pilot bearing and crank bolts for the flywheel very cheap parts that if they fail can make for a very bad day. Since you going to have to remove the tranny for the clutch might as well replace the tyranny with some nice synthetic gear lube since it going to see some more abuse with the added power. If you have an automatic go buy a car with a manual transmission sorry :(! Or try and find some to do a higher stall converter, valve body job, along with a most important rebuilding the trans with upgraded clutch packs. And you may want to add a tranny cooler. if you can find someone good luck and be prepared as it will probably cost more money than the turbo kit along with the value of the car. So that is the basics of the kit. “Walla all-a peanut butter sandwich” J a simple DIY turbo kit on a 1.6 Protg ZM motor making about 6 to 8 psi.

But to be happily boosting along you'll need to along with keep the engine in top notch condition some, monitoring and safety items. You'll need a boost gauge foe sure and I recommend both an AFR gauge if possible an WBO2 one (wide band Oxygen sensor) and a EGT (exhaust gas temperature) gauge to keep tabs on things (you'll learn why when you read the books). Next to make it work with the OEM ECU happily. A voltage clamp device like a SAFC for fooling the MAF Mass Air Flow sensor which in the Protg is also an IAT Inlet Air Temperature sensor) sensor from seeing the increased air flow (Cork sport has something also to I think to do this a search of the web will find some other company make MAF fooling device also). Also some one way vacuum check valves to hide the boost form the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor) will be needed ($1 at the local Auto Parts store). You'll need to run 93 or 91 octane whatever is available in our area.

Next you may want to consider the following two safety items: first a Water / alcohol / methanol whatever you want to call it injection kit very cheap now days and can be found everywhere. Or can be done the good old DIY: Just need a 12V bilge/sump pump from the boating supply house or you guest it eBay capable of 70-100 psi, some type of bottle like and old windshield washer fluid bottle to hold the water, alcohol, or methanol (I like the Boost Juice from Snow Performance available though Summit). If you get a washer fluid bottle that has float in it you can wire it up to a LED so you know when the bottle is running low. Next you’ll need a NOS or fuel jet nozzle or you can get just a water injection nozzle form one of the suppliers that make the kits. You need a fitting for the nozzle for mounting it in the intake pipe to spray it directly into the throttle body/plate as best possible. Then some 1/4 hard with plastic refrigerator water supply hose (plenty capable of holding 100psi) to plum it all up how much depends on where you mount the pump in relation to the bottle in relation to the nozzle. I’ve seen guys use -3AN hose from NOS kits but that can get really expensive. Best to have the pump as close to the nozzle as possible and the supply bottle above the pump so its gravity feed allowing the pump have a ready supply of fluid available at any time. Next get either hose barb or push lock fittings for running the hose form the bottle to the bump then the pump to the nozzle. All the fittings can easily be found at local Home Depot or Ace Hardware in the pluming department Lastly you'll need boost pressure switch plumed into the a intake manifold vaccum line, (can be found on Ebay) for supplying 12V power to the pump while under boost to spray the methanol. You can even get switches that have manual setting to determine at what boost level they activate or even little smart boxes the will not only come on a certain boost level but control the amount of voltage to the pump which determines how much pressure it pumps at. Nice safe guard helps keep the internal temps down, adds air density, if done right can be used to increase horse power. Last is a Knock warming sensor device lets you know if there is detonation. They can be hard to set up properly but can have the ability to activate things like the water injection system, or if there is an electric boost controller cutting the boost.

to be continued in next post to many words :)

47b7ce20b3127ccebdf04c12b23100000026100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Last edited:
Part 2 DIY turbo kit for 1.6 ZM Pro

Continuation from part 1

Reading the above books will give you the knowledge to do all this very easily if youre some what mechanically inclined. When youre done you'll have the skills modify effectively a modern day EFI car. And you'll be saying are they freaking crazy for wanting 3K or 4K just for a turbo kit because the parts don't cost that much believe me. And then on top of that most shops probably make about another $1K or more installing and tuning them all a big rip off to me. Its all easily stuff to do. And if you do it yourself you know what the hell is going on when there are issues. And once you make one turbo set up the reset cake doesnt matter the vehicle. Heck you may get good enough youll be making kits for your buddies and cover the cost of your stuff that what Ive done. The only part that can not be made easily or well with out some heavy duty machine shop tools is the exhaust header flanges the base or start of the whole system. The only skills if you know how to use general tools (i.e. wrenches and sockets and wiring) are the MIG welding which you can become an expert in about an hour. If you get a MIG setup from somewhere like Sears or Home Depot by a manufacture like Lincoln usually you'll get a DVD that will teach you how to weld. A few plugs for the local local welding suppliers; usually if you buy a welder form them (and they have financing along with demo day and refurbished specials all the time) they come to your home and show you how to set it all up and teach you how to use it for free, just for buying the welder form them. Or theyll offer a weekend class at cheap cost. Plus buying form a local welding supplier usually means they well also offer in house service capabilities and or have warranty programs if you ever have problems. Sears or Home Depot you'll have to drag the 40 lbs welder in, then be told you have to deal with the manufacture directory sorry. Which means lots of time on the phone (hope you registered it when you bought it) then expensive shipping and or repairs fees from manufacture or service center which is probably the local welding supplier any-who. There are several good books on welding now-a-days for the beginners. Jessie James (West Coast Copper / Monster Garage fame) put one out (along with other books on metal forming, body work, panting etc) that I read a couple years ago that was excellent. I keep in plastic folder attached to my TIG welder for reference on filler rod size and type, amperage settings/suggestions, touch angle, metal grades and their melting point etc. .Welding is super easy if you can spread peanut butter on bread without tearing it you can weld. The most important things in welding, it's like painting (or sex ;)) its all in the prep work and temperature control. Make sure everything fits together nicely with no big gaps and the metal where its to be welded is super clean along with your MIG wire and tips. Temp control means getting the material right at its molting point and holding there just long enough to join the pieces. This comes with experience but once you see what the color of mild steel is when is at the perfect temp you hear that nice sizzling beacon sound you know you are throwing down some good beads. And not welding at one side of something putting so much heat into that you warp the whole thing turning it into a pretzel.

Last tip is once its all done get it to a dyno soon with AFR monitoring for few runs to make sure your NOT LEAN UNDER BOOST and then your good to go enjoy the boost:)!

Now go buy one of my exhaust DIY header flanges before they are all gone http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123687893

47b7ce20b3127ccebdf04c12b23100000026100AZtGrNk0ct2LA

Hope this helps all you guys and gals out there wanting to FI your 1.6ers. I'm not the best writer (and sure in the hell don't want to be it's a lot of work for me I rather be welding up a header or fabing up an alternator bracket) but I hope you can obtain enough info out of this write up to be useful as I stated in the beginning before ask any question make any post do anything First READ Corky Bell's Book Maximum Boost read it ten times then get a book titled How to Tune and Modify Engine Management Systems by Jeff Hartman for understanding how EFIworks and making it work for you. And the either get the Hayes or Clinton service manual for the 1.6 ZM Protege and maybe even the 99 Protege Field Manual service manual form the factory. Or any other book you can find on turbocharging / supercharging or tuning EFI there are many great ones out there I probably have four or five books on FI and the same for EFI. You can even take a weekend class on EFI form EFI University http://www.efi101.com/ they hold them all over the country.

Thanks & Enjoy
Dave

more useful info on DIY turbo kit

A couple excellent resource I forget to mention:

http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html with lot of how to article on everything form making an intake manifold to turbo header to a fuel system (i.e. rails proper injectors etc.

Also see http://www.megasquirt.info/ look under MegaManual you'll find tons of useful information on how to build a EFI system.

Below is a sample form the SDSEFI tech FAQ articles page:

http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

Fabricating a Turbo Header

This article details the process of fabricating a low cost turbo header. The subject engine is a Toyota 22RE engine using a Garrett T4/T3 hybrid turbo.
Flanges
The head and turbo flanges are laid out on 3/8 to 1/2 inch mild steel plates using the gaskets as tracing patterns. A drill press and hole saw are used to cut the holes. For rectangular holes, 4 smaller holes may have to be drilled and then hand filed to obtain the correct shape. If you have access to a plasma arc cutter, this job will go much faster!

head1.jpg

head4.jpg

head3.jpg

head5.jpg
Tubes
This header was constructed from 1 1/4 schedule 40 NSP weld els and tubing. The els are available from most industrial plumbing and gas fitting shops and are very inexpensive. They are made from a high strength, weldable alloy steel and have a nice V at each end to pour in a good, strong weld. They are available in 45 and 90 degree bends and short and standard radius styles. We recommend using the standard, longer radius ones whenever possible as they have less flow restriction. The els are also available in different IDs. The size describes the approximate ID, not the OD. The 1 1/4 ones are actually about 1 3/8 ID. Straight schedule 40 NSP tubing is used between els. These parts have a very thick wall thickness so the header will probably weigh as much as a heavy cast iron manifold. This thickness is necessary with non-stainless tubing for longevity at the high temperatures encountered. Standard mild steel header tubing will quickly self destruct if used for a turbo header. These materials have proved to last for several years of hard use on many engines including road racing applications.

head6.jpg
head7.jpg
Collector
The collector is what merges the primary tubes into the turbine inlet. It needs to match the outer circumference of the primary tubes and the ID at the turbine flange needs to match the hole ID. It is constructed in 4 main parts, made from 1/8 to 3/16 plate stock which is then welded together. Later, 4 wedges wre cut from each corner and 45 degree triangles were added to help match the tube contours. Alternately, an 8 sided collector can be built or a hammer formed collector made. Hammer forming such thick plate is very time consuming! For Turbos with round inlet holes, a conical collector needs to be made. This entails cutting a paper template to simulate the size and shape and lots of cursing and swearing to heat and hammer form into the conical shape. We recommend that all parts be TIG welded to reduce warpage. Weld the turbine inlet flange to the collector.

head14.jpg
head15.jpg

head16.jpg
head17.jpg

head26.jpg
Tube Layout
The turbo should be held in position where it will be mounted. Lots of thought should go into the tube layout to try to maintain equal lengths if possible and be sure that the tubes clear steering boxes, master cylinders, strut towers etc. It has been found that actual tube length seems to have little effect on response or power in street applications however, equal lengths will theoretically give slightly better response. Most of our systems have a 14 to 18 inch primary tube length and this has worked well.

head18.jpg
The 45 and 90 degree els and straight tubing may be duct taped together to plan the layout. Once you are satisfied with the layout, the tubes may be tacked to the head flange with ONE small tack on the top. We bolt the flange to a scrap head to aid in tube alignment. Start out from the head flange one piece at a time working out towards the collector.

head11.jpg

head12.jpg

head13.jpg

head19.jpg

head20.jpg
Once your pipes are all tacked and line up on the collector ok, carefully bolt the assembly into the car and set the turbo and collector in place. If everything is where you want it, remove and take it back to the bench. Scribe or mark each tube where it meets the flange and number each tube. Tack each joint in at least 2 points EXCEPT at the head flange. Now carefully break each tube off of the flange. Weld all the joints completely on each tube.

head21.jpg
head22.jpg
Once all the primary tube joints have been welded, they need to be carefully repositioned as they were before removal from the head flange. Line up your scribe marks and the original tacks. Tack each tube back in place. The tubes may be moved and twisted slightly to allow the collector ends to meet at the proper angle and height to align with the collector base. A large hose clamp or vise grips can be used to hold the tubes together. Once you are satisfied, heavily tack the primaries to the head flange and the ends of the tubes together. Make sure that the flange is firmly bolted to a scrap head or 1 inch base plate to prevent warpage. Yes, even 1/2 inch plate will warp.

head23.jpg

head24.jpg
Center Diamond and Corners
You need to cut and shape corner pieces and a center diamond to plug the holes where the collector meets the primaries. These should be cut from the 1/8 or 3/16 plate that you used to make the collector. Once satisfied with the fit, weld in place.

head25.jpg
head27.jpg
You are now ready to weld the collector to the rest of the header. 1/8 X 1 flat stock can be used to brace the edge of the flange to the collector and to the outside of the primaries for extra strength and longevity.

head28.jpg

head29.jpg

head30.jpg

head31.jpg

After ceramic coating
head32.jpg

Coated down pipe and powder coated intercooler pipe
head33.jpg

T4/T3 hybrid turbo with H3 compressor, stage 3, .63 exhaust, ceramic coated. A twin port, wastegate actuator is used for cockpit adjustable boost via an inexpensive pneumatic regulator.
t322r.jpg

Complete installation. Note extensive heat shield to protect master cylinder and brake lines made from aluminum backed Felramic 2000 material.

Last edited:
A voltage clamp device like a SAFC for fooling the MAF Mass Air Flow sensor which in the Protg is also an IAT Inlet Air Temperature sensor) sensor from seeing the increased air flow (Cork sport has something also to I think to do this a search of the web will find some other company make MAF fooling device also).

fuel cut was my nemesis when I went above 10psi. the fcd from turboxs solved that issue. it's advertised to work with a 5v map sensor but works on our maf. plus it's adjustable where you can set fuel cut where you want it. it goes for around 100 bucks off ebay.

build me some

you got all the parts for this project for under 1000$ ??

how much would the installation cost for a guy that doesnt have a mig? (Me)

i'm autotranny..... i know it sucks!,

what would be the costs :

5000$ manual protege
1500$ turbo DIY setup + catbck
2000$ installation? and/or other misc items
1500$ car checking and repairing (engine n drivetrain)

total? = 10000$

wouldnt i be better of buying an already FI car like a mitsu eclipse, golf 1.8t, srt4 ??

what do you guys think?

or maybe a hi-powered NA (sentra spec-V, golf VR6, audi Q v62.8 )

or a honda with hi-reving engine? (Gsr)

I don't know what would be the best solution... i sure want something faster than my na 1.6l...

thank you

Oh yeah if we had a manifold that allowed us to use a stock MSP turbo in the stock poition as the msp we could basically use all MSP parts and upgrades, except ECU.

I'm wondering something... I'm getting my 1.6l turbo charged but at how many PSI do you guy think I'll start breaking the interns or other stuff?

Need help urgent ? I have a 1999 mazda familia with the zl-ve engine, its was automatic and i change it to manual (problems):i am missing my airflow box the part that the filter goes on the bottom half (it was stolen) it had a burnt knock sensor ,blown head gasket around the compression rights,and the gas needle moves every move i make depends on the turn are what ever i have a problems on hill (not my driving skills)when the gas is low are on the first mark,and it has a flat spot on move off if i push in the clutch and rev it will take of then die down immediately then pick back up again. Can anybody shine any light on this matter are know how i should ask?

Latest posts

Back