FWD CX-5 on Sloped Gravel Drive?

starburst

:
CX-5 2015 Touring AWD
Hello. I am getting to the point where I need to retire my old Honda CR-V. The CX-5 looks like a great choice. However I am not in a financial position to shell out $25-30k, and am considering a used 2013 CX-5 with FWD. So, a question for those of you with FWD. I live out in the country and park uphill on a gravel driveway, with about a 20 degree slope. Often times I have to slow down to get around another car before starting up the hill. AWD comes in handy for this. In your experience, would I be ok with a FWD? I have seen a lot of people slipping and sliding trying to get up there.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

My first question would be what kinds of vehicles are "slipping and sliding" on your grade? Are they FWD or RWD. The weight distribution on a FWD CX-5 is going to be pretty similar to any other FWD vehicle (approx. 60/40), so if it's predominently FWD vehicles that are having a tough go of it, I would suspect you might be better off with AWD.

Thanks for the response. The cars that slide are mostly RWD, including pickup trucks and sedans. I will probably need the AWD but was hoping to hear from someone with a FWD CX-5.

Thanks for the response. The cars that slide are mostly RWD, including pickup trucks and sedans. I will probably need the AWD but was hoping to hear from someone with a FWD CX-5.
Sounds like you're jumping to conclusions here. A FWD vehicle will generally handle drive wheel traction problems better than a RWD because it has more weight over those wheels. I can't answer your specific question with any certainty, but I have always been surprised how well the FWD cars I have owned handle snow and icy road conditions, so I wouldn't be surprised if a FWD CX-5 could handle the situation you describe better than the RWD vehicles you have observed. Any chance of test driving one up your road? It would be a shame to invest in AWD hardware if you don't really need it.

While I cannot speak to the performance of the FWD CX-5, I can provide my experience with the FWD Mazda3 that I traded in for my AWD CX-5.

I live in Western Washington with quite a bit of hilly terrain. I frequently had traction issues going uphill with my Mazda3 in slick conditions such as gravel or snow. It even had trouble on wet pavement on a steep enough slope when trying to get moving from a stand still. It was my one complaint with the Mazda3. The traction problems occurred with the OEM tires (which were terrible) and the Goodyear Eagles I used later (which I chose because they had been rated well for wet traction, but I question that, since I still had issues). It was enough of a nuisance that I never even considered getting a FWD CX-5.

The AWD CX-5 has handled those similar conditions wonderfully. I expect that the FWD CX-5 will handle those conditions somewhat better than the Mazda3. It is heavier, after all. But, I'd still imagine challenges with grades as steep as 20%.

I know this isn't as helpful as feedback directly from someone with the FWD CX-5, but I figured I'd throw my experience out there for you to consider.

I'm curious as to how the gravel stays on there with a 20 degree slope! Is someone grooming it?

But seriously, generally, going uphill, a RWD car would have an advantage as the weight shifts TO the driving wheels, while in a FWD car the weight shifts OFF the driving wheels. On gravel, I don't know, though, I guess it would really depend on the vehicle for such a specific chore. Perhaps when you do a test drive, you can take it to the driveway and determine whether the CX-5 would fit your needs.

Can you find a year-old CX-5 for the low $20's? Or whatever your price range is?

Dan D

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely try to test drive it somewhere similar and I'm pretty sure I can find a year old AWD in my price range.

Back