Funky smell

chipsdeluxe

:
2002.5 P5
I've had my P5 since 9/02, but just recently began smelling the musty odor described in this thread:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17220.

I tried to ignore it for a while, but had to take action once my girlfriend said my car smells like old fish. Of course she is right.

So I did some investigation, and found a TSB on theman's site:
http://web2.airmail.net/theman/protegefaq/tsb/07-001-03.html

Along with some other TSB issues (brake rotor rust, engine knock at low RPMs) I decided to take my car to Roger Beasley Mazda here in Austin, and they pointed out what I failed to notice on the TSB; the musty odor fix is NOT covered under warranty.

But, the fix is pretty straightforward. Basically the odor is caused by organic buildup (read: mold) in the A/C evaporator. The TSB calls for removing the glove box and spraying some "Mazda Air Cooling Coil Coating" which kills off the mold and prevents regrowth. The service manager at Roger Beasley had never heard of the stuff, but said he was willing to give me an estimate for the repair. Otherwise, he suggested I just use lysol or some other anti-bacterial spray, which is what they have used in the past. I decided to do it myself rather than pay for it.

I should be getting my P5 back from the dealer today, and I'd like to remove the evaporator and clean the inside of it. Does anyone have any experience with that? A little advice would be great. If anyone is interested, I'll post pictures, and write up a How-To after I'm done.

I'd be interested, though I have no idea how to fix it. I've noticed some odd smells before in my car, and this might be that cause.

You can prevent this from happening by doing something before you are done driving for the day. As you are getting close to home, turn air to 'fresh' and shut off the AC unit. This will allow outside air to dry out the duct work.

Getting to the evaporator would be 95% of the job. Keep us posted on the fix...

Fluffy Bunny said:
You can prevent this from happening by doing something before you are done driving for the day. As you are getting close to home, turn air to 'fresh' and shut off the AC unit. This will allow outside air to dry out the duct work.

Getting to the evaporator would be 95% of the job. Keep us posted on the fix...
That's actually what the TSB says the tech should tell the customer to do, IIRC.

You can do this yourself, but it's NOT quick. You have to remove the entire dash, and then take out the ducting and physically scrub it, THEN spray.

If you just spray, it will provide a temporary fix, but will only last a couple months, esp in humid weather (speaking from experience).

Give yourself a whole saturday to do it, and have the spray handy....

OH! TAKE PICS! So you know where everything goes back to.

B

yourfather_luke said:
maybe it's your upper lip.
It is most likely a combination of my upper lip AND mold in my evaporator core...

Fluffy Bunny, yes the TSB does suggest shutting the A/C off and allowing the system to dry before shutting the car off, and I plan on making a habit of it once I clean out whatever is lurking in there.

blynzoo said:
If you just spray, it will provide a temporary fix, but will only last a couple months, esp in humid weather (speaking from experience).
I agree, I tried circulating some Renuzit air freshener and it helped for a little while (couple of weeks) but the smell came back. I'm hoping if I clean it out, kill off whatever is growing, and then try to keep it dry and regularly use Lysol or some other anti-bacterial spray, then maybe I can prevent a reoccurance.

Fluffy Bunny said:
Getting to the evaporator would be 95% of the job.
Hopefully it won't be too hard. I'm basing that on the TSB, not any real experience. I'll summarize the TSB instructions for the Protege and P5:

1. Dry the evaporator using the following procedure:
    1. Start engine.
    2. Set HVAC controls as follows.
      • RECIRCULATE
      • FULL HEAT
      • FAN HIGH
      • A/C OFF
      • AIRFLOW (FACE)
    3. Open one window approximately ".
    4. Let engine run for 10 minutes.
  2. Remove glove box by:

1. Pushing top stops inward (plastic will flex).
    2. At left side hinge, lift clip out of its seat.
    3. Pull right axle pin out towards left side and remove glove box.
  3. Stop engine. Switch OFF fan motor.
  4. Remove fan resistor and inspect evaporator for debris; remove debris using an appropriate vacuum cleaner.WARNING: Blower motor resistor may be extremely hot.
  5. Reinstall fan resistor.
  6. Shake bottle of Mazda Air Cooling Coil Coating well and attach it to applicator. Then connect applicator to compressed shop air.
  7. Insert applicator in grille of recirculation door. Point nozzle tip in direction of evaporator.
  8. Switch fan motor ON.
  9. Begin spraying by gently moving nozzle tip in front of the evaporator surface. Spray entire contents of bottle in short bursts, 3 seconds ON, 3 seconds OFF onto evaporator. A fine mist may exit from ducts.
  10. When bottle is empty, switch fan motor off, and remove applicator. Turn engine off and let vehicle sit for 10 minutes.
  11. Reinstall glove box.
  12. Use STEP 1 to dry and cure product.
Of course I don't have the Mazda Air Cooling Coil Coating, so that part won't apply, but I can use something else in its place. The part that I'm looking at is where it says to clean the evaporator by removing the glove box and the fan resistor (?). Doesn't sound too hard to get to. I'm going to try to look at the ductwork from both ends and see if there is any mold, and if there isn't, maybe I won't need to disassemble the dash. I'll know for sure in a couple of days. Looks like I won't get back to my car until Friday night (business trip), but I'll dive in on Saturday.

My heater occasionally blows what smells like hot pancakes and scrapple with syrup. No joke. Since I rarely use my A/C, I hope I don't have to deal with a moldy breakfast.
Good luck getting the funk resolved.

My car smells like I had tacos the night before, scorced my shorts and left them in the back seat.

Originally I thought that it was a dead mound of something in a dark recess of the garage but now I am thinking this may be it.

Good find, please let us know how annoying it is to fix the dead ass smell.

:D

Back