Fuel Gauge Question

mspdfreak

:
2006 Mustang GT
I posted this earlier in the gen-chat section, but the mods haven't "approved" it yet so here it goes.
Whenever I fill up, it seems I can go a long way before the needle starts to drop. But once I get down to 1/4 tank, it drops like a rock! The light comes on in no time. Is this a common quirk, or is something wrong with my gauge or sending unit?

i think it all depends on how the gauge was made.
i had a maxima that would stay about 1/2 for a long time, then drop fast after that.
and my honda would drop down to 1/4 no time but would stay at 1/4 for a while

mspdfreak said:
I posted this earlier in the gen-chat section, but the mods haven't "approved" it yet so here it goes.
Whenever I fill up, it seems I can go a long way before the needle starts to drop. But once I get down to 1/4 tank, it drops like a rock! The light comes on in no time. Is this a common quirk, or is something wrong with my gauge or sending unit?

That's exactly how mine works.

My fuel light only comes on when the tank is close to empty. That is, the needle is just slightly above the last black bar.

I would say its a sender if, say its at 1/4 tank and then u stall and it says ur still at quater tank.

Well, the light comes on when it's pretty close to empty, it just seems like the rate at which the needle comes down increases dramatically once it gets down around 1/4 tank.

The 2nd half of the tank ALWAYS goes faster than the first. My experience from every vehicle I've owned.

thats where the keep it above half and it saves u money thing came from i think. It does seem to work on long trips for me.

Back