FS-ZE Wont Start

csumne

:
2002 Mazda Protege
Gents,
I just finished installing an FS-ZE in my 2002 protg last night. I read extensively on this and everything seemed to go without a hitch. I swapped over the crank pulley and sensor, knock sensor, thermostat housing, AC bracket, water temp sensor, coil packs, throttle body and maybe a few other little things. Still stock ECU however I have the MP3 flashed ECU just need to put it in.

I went to start it up and it just cranks, doesn't fire/sputter etc..

I didn't have time to troubleshoot however I looked over the entire engine extensively, I know everything is plugged in.

The only thing that seems off is my fuel rail setup. I have the quick connectors (On old motor Red went to FPR, Blue went to end of fuel rail closest to throttle body). I swapped over the FPR from the original rail and now the blue connects to the FPR and red connects to the rail because that's the only way they would click in place. I am wondering if this is where the issue is. I have read, or atleast that I thought I read that this is no issue, but I don't know how you can run backwards through a FPR.

Any insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

Did you swap over the exhaust cam gear and cam position sensor as well? If memory serves, the ZE has the single pickup exhaust cam gear like the 626, and this will not work with the stock ECU.

Did you swap over the exhaust cam gear and cam position sensor as well? If memory serves, the ZE has the single pickup exhaust cam gear like the 626, and this will not work with the stock ECU.

I did not, haven't heard this before. I haven't seen anything mentioned regarding that. I hope that's not the case.

Also, do not run the MP3 ECU with the high compression FS-ZE.

Now that goes against everything I have read. Whats your basis for that?

I got it running though. I had spark, pulled the valve cover and checked the cam gears, they were the same. I then swapped the fuel lines back to the way they are supposed to be ( I got the blue connector to fit on the rail I just wasn't pushing hard enough initially). It still wouldn't start though. so I pulled the fuel rail thinking maybe it was the injectors. sure enough they weren't firing as they were dry on the tips. I pulled one out of the rail and knew immediately what the problem was. Fuel had been sitting in the rail for as long as the engine had been sitting and turned to varnish. This gummed up all the injectors and they wouldn't fire. I swapped over my old injectors and she fired right up and idled perfectly with no CEL's.

I do have one issue that's been bothering me. I don't know if I have an FS-ZE or not. It has the black box on the intake however my cams clearly say FS1E on them, not the FSH9. Based on what I read this seems to indicate I have a j-spec mazda mpv engine?

You are correct about the cams. They should be the FSH9 cams, however these are easily found and swapped in.

The MP3 ECU features a provision for deleted VTCS (not sure if the ZE manifold has this or not, but you'd be well served to remove it if it does.) It also features a more aggressive timing map. Because of the high compression of the ZE, you'll need to be extremely careful with advanced timing to avoid detonation. Even on the lower compression DE, you're still required to run at least 91 octane. Add in higher compression, and you could end up with some serious knock.

Back