Fs-de motor swap msp

lyndonvang

:
Mazdaspeed Protege #386
my msp motor is out and looking to get a regular FS-DE motor for the swap. Car overheated and now it won't start and there is fluid in cyliders. My question is what parts do I need to transfer over to the regular FS-DE motor? Trying to find a FS-DET motor is almost impossible, if any one knows where to look LMK. I was just going to have a shop do it cuz I'm not a car junkie and don't have the time and knowledge.

The only thing you'll need from your msp is the windage tray (betwwen the block and oil pan) for the turbo oil return line.

Search does wonders. There is no FS-DET motor. It is the exact same motor in all Protege's with an FS-DE engine. Mazda basically slapped on a turbo and called it a day with help from several companies to include Callaway Cars, Inc. for the turbo setup. Just swap everything thats MSP specific to your new donor motor. I am currently rebuilding my MSP motor using a Protege5 Block from a 2002 to include the crank. Head castings and all are the same.

There are a few things you will need to swap over like stated above. Just look for the differences like turbo oil and water cooling lines, MBSP ( Main Bearing Support Plate ), etc. Everything is exactly the same even including the FS-DE motors in the Automatics.

Last edited:
Search does wonders. There is no FS-DET motor. It is the exact same motor in all Protege's with an FS-DE engine. Mazda basically slapped on a turbo and called it a day with help from several companies to include Callaway Cars, Inc. for the turbo setup. Just swap everything thats MSP specific to your new donor motor. I am currently rebuilding my MSP motor using a Protege5 Block from a 2002 to include the crank. Head castings and all are the same.

There are a few things you will need to swap over like stated above. Just look for the differences like turbo oil and water cooling lines, MBSP ( Main Bearing Support Plate ), etc. Everything is exactly the same even including the FS-DE motors in the Automatics.

arn't the cams different too?

According to AllData the part numbers for the cams in the MSP are the same as those for all 1998-2003 Mazda 2.0L FSDE NA protege/626 motors.

Intake: FS1G12420
Exhaust: FSD712440

1997 and earlier had different cams...

Main bearing support plate (as stated)
oil cooler
swap the valve cover and engine cover if you still want to use the engine cover

Turbo and components:
turbo manifold and turbo
coolant on oil lines for the turbo

That should be it GL

Back