FS-DE FS-ZE or KLZE...

:
2k2 Pro 5
...that is the question.

Blew the motor in my 02 pro5. Heard a "ticking" then a "knocking" and then an omfgwtf is that sound!?!?! So had the car towed home pulled the valve cover off.. the cams looked good all the valve springs still in tact spark plugs looked ok. So, went under the car and pulled off the oil pan...

A ha! theres a ton of metal in my oil pan! Put a magnet in the oil pan and ended up collecting 1lb+ of metal shards... rough guess is the rod bearing plus who knows how much damage to the internals.

Instead of wasting time i've decieded this block was toast and i needed a new one.

I've been looking at a few motor/tranny combos. I want to know what you guys think...

What should i put in my car?
FS-DE - MSP Motor 4 banger 170hp (+turbo)
FS-ZE - JDM Motor 4 banger ?hp (+turbo)
KLZE - JDM 626 Motor v6 200hp (no turbo)

FS-DE - is my first choice... but i can't find a decent MSP eng and tranny for under $3800
FS-ZE - is the JDM version of our motor. Will cost around $1000 for the eng and tranny shipped to my door. Cheaper price means more money to go forged....
KLZE - I was thinking it would be nice to have a 6 cylinder in my P5 but my understanding is you wouldn't be able to turbo it... Kind of a set back. But who knows... it might be enough power where i dont miss the turbo. Price eng and tranny $1575 Shipped to the door

what do you guys think?

the FSZE is higher compression and cannot exactly be turboed...

If the FSZE is cheaper, you could build a decent NA beast.

The KL also comes with the huge wiring nightmare. And there has been someone that has dropped a KL and also turbo'd it so it CAN be done. Anything can be done really considering how much time and money you can put into it.

bah... the KLZE just dropped off the list... it looks like there is too much involved for my liking. DuRWooD had to do a ton of stuff and to his benifit he had an extra MX3 with all the parts laying around... I dont have this and dont want to spend months going back and forth buying and trying parts.

If you're going to turbo anyway, buy the 130 hp FSDE from another Proty5. The FS-ZE can be turbocharged, but the higher compression limits the amount of boost you can put in (around 10.7:1 if I remember right) compared to the regular US engine (9.1:1 or thereabouts).

You will not get the full benefit out of the FS-ZE engine without swapping the FS-ZE box or at least getting an engine management system that will allow you to remove your rev-limiter. The FS-ZE makes peak power after the redline on the stock FS-DE. Stuck with your regular FS-DE limiter, you're looking at a boost of only 10 hp or so over the MP3, and maybe 15 hp over the Proty5. You could try converting to OBDI if you can get the full FS-ZE harness... but I don't know anyone who has... so... good luck.

The FSDET is your best bet... it's already about 40-50 wheel horses more than your car, stock, and requires the least amount of wiring. It's the most expensive, yes, but versus the cost of buying a new engine + a turbo kit, I think it's probably worth it.

The KL-ZE... mmmmmhmmmmm..... motor!

Do more research. Check out mx6.com and probetak the FS-ZE isnt a simple swap and def isnt easy to turbo. ;)

Decreasing the compression makes it pointless to get the FS-ZE. You might as well just buy turbo-cams and turbo what you already have, for less money.

Decreasing the compression makes it pointless to get the FS-ZE. You might as well just buy turbo-cams and turbo what you already have, for less money.

+1... low comp FS-ZE, may as well be an FS-DE... just pick up another FS-DE and start collecting turbo parts for it if the sticker shock is scaring you. As for the trans, whats wrong with yours? they're the same other than an LSD that you can pick up for a few hundred bucks.

There was a place in Canada (quebec, maybe) that was doing the KL swap for people... don't know if it's still around...

Yeah... decision is going to be FS-DE and i'm just going to build it up. I just cant find one local. I need a tranny because the one i have is slipping. I am going to do an AT/MT swap. Im just hoping to find a donor car that has been totaled from the back. So far no luck... so stuck driving the Civic that has no "jewels"

Hrm... donor cars... anyone wrecked theirs lately?

Same here

the SAME EXACT THING happened to me but i ended up with a fist-sized hole in the side of my block. i ordered a new jdm motor for only $770 from this place https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) . i got it last week, it looks mint, no more than 30k miles on it. and the jdm ignition matches up to the plugs for the us ignition set up. i have yet to complete the swap but once i do i will take plenty pics and video footage of its first and last all out run with the new motor, after that the beast will stay caged.

Back