Front Right Suspension Crunching

I ended up taking my 5 in today for the oil change and also to check on the crunching noise...The service tech came out and told me that he lubed the control arm bushings, and that there was nothing mechanically wrong with my car...He said that they are aware of the crunching, and that he could perform the TSB under warranty to replace the control arms, but they would have to order the parts...They lubed things up and the sound has disappeared so far...I was advised that this issue is more of an annoyance/ugly sound rather than the car actually malfunctioning or parts breaking...

I was also told that this noise has affected the Mazda 3 wagons and sedans as well...In fact, he said they are seeing a lot of 06-07 MZ3 sedans lately now that the temps have dropped...

Same sound in my '06. It's really annoying and loud. I was very surprised. It's cold here (-20), but my 02 Protege5 doesn't make that sound.

I'm thinking of buying the 2008 Mazda 5. How is the crunching noise for this years model. I live in Winnipeg, so its cold 5 months a year.

Did I miss the information somewhere in the thread about how and with what the dealer lubes the bushings? If no disassembly is required, I'd gladly lube them myself just to quiet things down a while.

No disassembly required to my knowledge, but where exactly they lube is beyond me. Buy some ball bearing grease and just have at all of the joints.

You think they're probably using 'regular' grease? I've still got a tube or two on-hand I could use, and a needle bearing injector to put it in with. I think I'll call the dealer and ask them what their TSB says...

I sprayed silicon lubricant at 2 rubber bushings in the rear. The sound still there.. so I will go for the next 'joints' next time. Maybe its time we do some troubleshooting ourselves.

Hey, not sure if you have seen this, but here is a PDF file that contains the TSB for the Crunchies, and how the dealer is supposed to repair. It does not look too hard, but there is disassembly involved. Mazda dealer gets 2.7hrs from Mazda Corp for the repair. The grease reccomended is White Lithium soap based grease.

It sounds as if there is really nothing bad about the noise, just rubber bushing squeaking against metal bushing retainer.(dunno)

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda5/docs/0010.pdf

And for future help for others, here is a great list of all the current Mazda5 TSB's.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda5/bulletins.html

Last edited:
Thanks, Mazdadude. I can hear that this is not serious, just annoying. I just thought it'd be nice to correct it myself if it was fairly simple. I guess I'll get at least the right front done since that lower control arm is bent and going to be replaced!

A new completely fabricated TSB for you guys.
============
Mazda now recommends not driving your mazda 5 on any surface that isnt completely flat to avoid the suspension noise. Your warranty will be void if your mazda5 goes over a speedbump, recession in the road, or any other rock over 3mm high. The mazda5 is a race car, there should be no speedbumps on race tracks. P.S. if you race your mazda5 and do not win your warranty will also be void.
=============

too much time on my hands.

its true. To unlock the mazda5's performance mode simply press up up down down left right left right a,b,c, start.

Hey, not sure if you have seen this, but here is a PDF file that contains the TSB for the Crunchies, and how the dealer is supposed to repair. It does not look too hard, but there is disassembly involved. Mazda dealer gets 2.7hrs from Mazda Corp for the repair. The grease reccomended is White Lithium soap based grease.

It sounds as if there is really nothing bad about the noise, just rubber bushing squeaking against metal bushing retainer.(dunno)

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda5/docs/0010.pdf

And for future help for others, here is a great list of all the current Mazda5 TSB's.

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/mazda5/bulletins.html

Links are now broken, anyone have the file?

Crunching after the TSB was fixed

I was told that the TSB was done on my Mazda 5 but the cruch has come back in the cold over the last few weeks.

Does anyone have any more information on any additional TSB's or what can be done to get rid of the aweful sound.

Revised on '08s?

Was the issue addressed for the '08's? I'd love to know if a permanent fix was found for the revamped 5.

Back