Friends MSP dying on road

Hey, guys I'm here posting for my friend, so I'll get right to it. He has a MSP
and for some reason his car is dying on teh road while driving here's an example today he was driving on the interstate was in 5th gear and slowed as a car changed lanes in front of him, so he engages the clutch and presses on the brake and as he does that his revs drop to 0 and all of the dash lights turned on then the engine died.

It happens quite often he has taken it to the Mazda dealer where he works and bought the car from, they say nothing is wrong with it and he needs to learn to drive. Well we have had one of our friends whos been driving manual for quite awhile and his dad who drives a semi for a living and has died or dropped revs suddenly for both.

Sorry for the long post guys and my many grammer errors lol

Check the EGR valve....a lot of stalling is attributed to this.

Does he have any mods? I had bad idle issues when I installed my exhaust. Esp when I punch it and let go. It would die on the highway too...

Hmmm.. not much else I could say it is not modded completely stock. The dealer is looking into a possible BOV problem So, guess I'll keep you guys updated if you got anymore ideas they would be greatly appreciated. Oh, one more thing before this whole dying thing started about 2 weeks after getting his car it started to act funny not sure hwo to describe but it had a significant loss in power. He took it to the dealer and they supposedly fixed it and the power was back, but I wonder if maybe the two problems could be related.

Check the EGR valve....a lot of stalling is attributed to this.
Yep mine has done this sometimes and throws a CEL every now and then but not always. I have a reader so I can read the code and reset it but it will die on occasion not all the time. However, it will cause the condition you described and it might be throwing a CEL for some reason.

+1 for Forcefed :)

It is about $126.00 for the part which I am about to buy.

Mine does this too. No CEL though. I already cleaned the MAF and EGR. Seemed to have gotten worse after installing the FMIC. Otherwise car runs like a bat outta hell. All the connections are tight and I sit around -20 vacuum at idle.

Last edited:
i already looked for TSBs at work. Nothing. Another MSP phenomenon. And my vacuum readings are exactly what they should be. I'll spray em down with throttle body cleaner tomorrow just to double check...again.

i already looked for TSBs at work. Nothing. Another MSP phenomenon. And my vacuum readings are exactly what they should be. I'll spray em down with throttle body cleaner tomorrow just to double check...again.

what program do you use at work?

I use ShopKey5 from snapon

30 users (computer/ IP adresses) can be on it at once lol)
and its updated everyday.

Spend the money and put in a new EGR. You can only clean em' so much and it is a wearing item. I'm getting ready to buy my 1st replacement too.

367 (mp3yellow

eh.. i used to use that, i think its much easyer with Shopkey IMO never really could find stuff that easly with Mitchell, same with Alldata, ever since i used ShopKey i loved it.

yea...mitchell is so so. I actually really liked Alldata at my old shops, used it for years and thought it was really easy

Back