Free High performance BOV's for everyone!!!

nig3

Was extremely board today and came up with a killer idea to deal with the possible leaky BOV that the MS3's come with. Im all about the sleeper look and sound and hate loud BOV's. I came up with a way to modify the stock plastic bov that come one our cars, by lowering the top of the BOV down the spring rate increases quiet abit, sense you cant put stiffer springs in the stock BOV this is the next best thing, allowing your car to hold higher boost. Using a special gauge It took around 10-15 more psi of pressure to open the modified BOV compared to its stock for so it really works!! rather than spending money on a shiny noisy BOV, this is a great alternative. Here is how it works,first, you need a vice, and a heat gun.
1. remove oem BOV and remove the O ring so that its not damaged during the modification process
2. using a rag or something soft to keep the vice from gouging up the top and bottom of the stock bov carefully mount it into the vice as even as possible.
3. Get your heat gun and carefully and evenly heat around the top portion of the bov constantly moving your heatgun around so that you wont burn your BOV
4. using a small pick tool poke the BOV to make sure that the once hard plastic is getting softer, once that happens slowy start cranking on the vice to crush the top of the BOV down about a 1/4 of an inch. make sure that its going down evenly so that the top of the bov stays symmetrical/ strait.
5. once you have successfully crushed the top inward about a 1/4 of an inch, let the BOV cool for 5-10 minutes before removing it from the vice.
6. re-install your new high performance bov and test that s*** out, you will notive a more consistent pull especially on modded ms3's.

14ukojk.jpg

15q51g0.jpg

e032qg.jpg

2571suv.jpg

mtvyqe.jpg

ogyohz.jpg

id be scared to do that if you screw up then you are down and out you cant explain that to a dealer for warranty. plus you just made the plastic more brittle and prone to break by heating it up and doing that. you are brave to try it so congrats on your new find i'll be interested to see how it holds up.

the plastic seems pretty high quality i even ****** up alittle pushed one side it too much and had to pull it back out, you will notice a stress line if you look closley. but this was the first time ever doing it, they next one i do i will do it perfectly, i pressure checked it with a vacum gauge and it still holds pressure fine. i just pushed it in allttile too far at first, hahaha. you only need to go about a qt inch or so and you will have no problems. Also the platsic does not become more brittle once its heated and cooled like that because its very high quality composite, no worrys, it can take it.

You sir are a smart man, this was the thing to do in my DSM days, when you crushed the stock bov it became better than any aftermarket unit. my only fear is damaging the stocker or heating it too much.

Ummmmm the small port next to the valve on the bottom allows boost pressure to open the valve slightly. You could block that off and see benefits. The only problem I see is if you lose what you used to plug the hole its falling into the intake. As for your melting the top it is the same as the old DSM trick but a tad more shadey.

Attachments

• poop.jpg
    poop.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 300
I give you credit for doing this and showing others how to do it with pics and all, but the only problem I see, is that you can't go back to stock. I don't know how much a stock bov cost, but if you get it new , it can't be cheap.

Good job, anyway. Learn something new every day.

**Edit**

I realize is the oem bov, so technically you're still stock. but what I mean is 100% stock, like factory.

Last edited:
crushed 1st gen would work on our car. Only thing that would be needed is to drill new holes in the flange. Wouldnt hurt a thing and would hold boost very good.

which is what i use on my ms6. although my dsm bypass valve is not crushed but it still works awesome. i definately noticed it held better than the stock one. i got it on ebay for $20 too. a quick cleanup and spray painting it black makes it look stock.

Yeah, there are even companies that sell the crushed stock DSM units. As previously noted, this is a lot less shady on a metal canister. Oh well, good luck with it.

I've been trying to figure out how to throw a Bosch BPV on this car (just like my Supra had)...they come off of Volvo or Porsche cars and have a good record.

LOL! Good old crushed 1G DSM valves. They worked great. Not sure I would want to bother with this on a plastic valve though.

I might look into finding a 1G DSM valve for my car. I know it held great on my old DSM. And like mentioned by bova80, they can be found pretty cheap.

I give you credit for doing this and showing others how to do it with pics and all, but the only problem I see, is that you can't go back to stock. I don't know how much a stock bov cost, but if you get it new , it can't be cheap.

Good job, anyway. Learn something new every day.

**Edit**

I realize is the oem bov, so technically you're still stock. but what I mean is 100% stock, like factory.

Go back to stock??? this is stock!! all its doing is alowing the stocker to hold more boost. why would you ever need to loosen the spring pressure back to stock???? just curious.

Back