Foot well and Interior lighting

ccrunner2011

:
2002 Protege5, Classic Red
Hello fellow P5'ers.

Well while the beast is down for an engine overhaul I feel like I need to do a few other small 'mods', more like conveniences..

I have sourced LED's for the dome, map and rear lights which are in the mail.

However, I am constantly driving at night and like having a little more visible light within the interior. I want to do one of 2 things. I'm leaning towards the first..

1.) Add 2 LED strips under each side on the underdash OR
2.) Add 2 led strips underneath each front seat.

I was just going to do the "add a circuit" because it is easy enough to do...and doesn't require any major wiring. I want the lights to come on when I turn turn the key to the on position mainly, but if it's easier to do it with the headlight circuit i'll do that.

I appreciate it!
-ccrunner

For my footwell lighting, I tapped in to 12v from the stereo's power, and I mounted an on-off switch in one of the blank switch plates that's above the little cubby on the left side of the steering wheel. Works well. I was going to use "add a circuit" but I didn't for reasons I can't remember... I believe the a.a.c. didn't allow some other vital fuse to be installed or something

For my footwell lighting, I tapped in to 12v from the stereo's power, and I mounted an on-off switch in one of the blank switch plates that's above the little cubby on the left side of the steering wheel. Works well. I was going to use "add a circuit" but I didn't for reasons I can't remember... I believe the a.a.c. didn't allow some other vital fuse to be installed or something

did you just use a wire tap? What's a.a.c?

Guessing a.a.c. is add a circuit?

I mounted the led strips under the dash and tied them into the fog light wire. I have the fogs on with parking lights mod done and this way the footwell lights come on when I turn on the parking lights.

add a circuit

and I have an aftermarket stereo, so I just tapped in to the wire harness. A wire tap could work. You could also tap in to the 12v outlet power behind the dash

Guessing a.a.c. is add a circuit?

I mounted the led strips under the dash and tied them into the fog light wire. I have the fogs on with parking lights mod done and this way the footwell lights come on when I turn on the parking lights.

Sounds about what I was thinking to do besides the aac (now i feel dumb). Can't I look underneath to the back of the fog switch and tie into the switch there? Seems like the easiest thing to do.

add a circuit

and I have an aftermarket stereo, so I just tapped in to the wire harness. A wire tap could work. You could also tap in to the 12v outlet power behind the dash

I figured.. My brain is fried after work today. I thought about it after I said that.

I like that idea about tying it in to the fog light switch, makes it one less step... I do like having the independent control of it though. Really depends on your habits I guess

I like that idea about tying it in to the fog light switch, makes it one less step... I do like having the independent control of it though. Really depends on your
habits I guess

I just leave the fog light switch on. The way he did the mod is that the fogs only turn on when the running lights are on. However, I can still turn the fogs off/on with the switch once they are on.

i hooked up my led stripes in my foot wells to the cigarette lighter. i never use it so might as well let it so something worthwhile. then i just put a switch under my steering column

I just leave the fog light switch on. The way he did the mod is that the fogs only turn on when the running lights are on. However, I can still turn the fogs off/on with the switch once they are on.

I did the fog light mod as well. My fog lights are the same way, I was referring to the foot well lights. I can turn my foot well lights on or off independently of everything else, as long as the key is in the ignition.

I did the fog light mod as well. My fog lights are the same way, I was referring to the foot well lights. I can turn my foot well lights on or off independently of everything else, as long as the key is in the ignition.

Any chance you could sneak under and take a pic?

The all yellow wire with the cap on it is attached to a red with gold? band every inch or so. It goes from the fog switch to the headlight relay, I'm guessing?

On the other side of the red with gold band wire is just sitting with a cap on it.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: Found the wiring diagram... It appears that I can use the cigarette lighters + (B/W) and - (B) as a switch source for power (only on when key is on) as well and would be easy enough to add a switch into the positive side of that little circuit. When I add the circuit, it should allow power to still get to the rest of the circuit correct?

Attachments

• IMG_20121127_222510_030.jpg
    IMG_20121127_222510_030.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
So I take it you don't need a pic? If you'd like I can post a pic tomorrow of how my switch is mounted

So I take it you don't need a pic? If you'd like I can post a pic tomorrow of how my switch is mounted

I think I should be good. I'll take the trim panel off tomorrow with the cigarette lighter circuit wiring diagram. Even if I tap into the cigarette lighter connection as long as I continue the electrical path it should be fine. I'll pass my plan by my Dad before I go do any snipping. The wire on these cars is so freaking bare minimum it's amazing the car doesn't have fuses blow 24/7.

Here is what im thinking pink is positive, black is negative, green is just to represent the led string...

Attachments

• diagram test.jpg
    diagram test.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
i tapped into my dome light, so my footwell led strips turn on and off when the dome light turns on and off

i tapped into my dome light, so my footwell led strips turn on and off when the dome light turns on and off

I like that to. I have found a circuit that has power 100% of the time while the key is either in the ignition on acc or running and it shouldn't interfere with any other circuit.

I added the oem jdm footwell kit way back. They come on with the dome when getting in and out of the car and are amber like dash lighting.

Only problem with this is that you can't use the lights when you're driving unless you have the dome on... Unless you hook up a on-off-on switch?

Just a matter of preference

Back