Font Motorsports Mazda 2 Build

Finally got an estimate to install my center dual exhaust. It'll be around $100 to install and to cut the rear tow hook as it's in the way.
Another thing that they will have to do to be able to fit the exhaust is to relocated the evap canister. It's that big black box underneath the rear. They might need to use new hoses and/or extend some wires.

Where is it possible to buy this front bumper, I've been looking all over the internet ..

Can you give a hint where to look for it.??

Where is it possible to buy this front bumper, I've been looking all over the internet. Can you give a hint where to look for it.??

I got it from my source in Thailand. I can make that happen for you as well but it's not cheap. The bumper is cheap. Less than $250. It's the shipping cost that'll hurt. Let me know.

UPDATE -

Finally back with some real build progress and not just teasers.

I've done a lot of thing so far to my Mazda 2 but for today I'll focus on my headlight project that i actually completed back in October 2012. All in all, from the time i got the UK headlights till the time i actually finished them took about 6 to 7 months to complete. I did this on purpose though. I took my time. I tried to think things through. I could not risk screwing this one up. It was a lot of work and the final out come was very gratifying and challenging.

Saying that... i will never attempt to do this again. :)

Crashed & Broken UK Projector Headlights
-

I contacted a UK Mazda dealer and they were just fine with selling me a new set of projector headlights but i didn't want to spend $1800. I could have gotten some used ones from my source in Thailand for $900 ( not including shipping ) but he ran out of them.

So i hit up UK eBay! I found the right side headlight for $78 ( not including shipping ) then i had to sweat it out for another two weeks before the left side headlight showed up on UK eBay. Got it for $120 ( not including shipping ). Only issue? They both belonged to two totally separate wrecked Mazda 2's. Each in great shape except that they both had broken attachment brackets.

HeadlightBuildPhoto1

HeadlightBuildPhoto2

Broken & Fixed Brackets
-

Since the original brackets were broken i had to create my own. I used metal sheets, J-B Weld and a Dremel. Used my stock brackets as templates. I then finished them off by sanding them down and spray painting them black. Not an custom show finish but it did the job and happy to say they are still intact.

HeadlightBuildPhoto3

HeadlightBuildPhoto4

HeadlightBuildPhoto5

HeadlightBuildPhoto6

Figuring it All Out
-

The over all shape of the US and UK headlights are the same. The insides and the back areas are not. I took my time and figured out exactly what i wanted to do and what materials i needed. After exchanging more than 100 emails discussing my project with The Retrofit Source I ended up buying a couple of The Retrofit Source HID kits, HID harness and assorted parts.

HeadlightBuildPhoto7

HeadlightBuildPhoto8

HeadlightBuildPhoto9

These original US wires work and fit on the UK headlights. You just need the right wires from The Retrofit source.

HeadlightBuildPhoto10

The right stuff from The Retrofit Source

HeadlightBuildPhoto11

HeadlightBuildPhoto12

HeadlightBuildPhoto13

All the Hard Work
-

HeadlightBuildPhoto14

I had to Dremel cut the UK shroud pieces. A lot. It was time consuming and nerve wracking. If i screwed up it would be game over. No way to buy new shrouds. Needless to say i took my time.

HeadlightBuildPhoto15

After a lot of trail and error I had to create my own bracket to hold the HID assembly in place. I tried using the original UK bracket but it wasn't going to work out. Just wasn't long enough for what i needed and some of the outer brackets got in the way.

HeadlightBuildPhoto16

I hate seeing bulbs. Looks cheap and not cool. So I decided to complicate my life further by converting the UK high beam lamp into a halogen high beam projector.

HeadlightBuildPhoto17

I managed to some how scratch this inner UK piece badly. I had it sanded and painted gloss black.

HeadlightBuildPhoto18

I wanted that BMW angle eye look so i bought these great parts from The Retrofit Source to go over the low beam HID Projector.

HeadlightBuildPhoto19

Like i already said. I hate seeing bulbs. So I decided to complicate my life even more by deciding to find a smoked lens online that would fit just right and look cool. Amazingly, i found a couple of Suzuki Boulevard VZR1800 Smoked Indicators Turn Signal Lenses that fit and looked perfect.

HeadlightBuildPhoto20

The original UK headlights have chrome shrouds. I'm not a fan of chrome so i painted the shrouds a dark grey which would fit into my white, black and grey theme.

HeadlightBuildPhoto21

So here is the bracket i showed earlier with the HID locked to the back of it. I used the UK headlights original long bolts you see in the background to attach my custom bracket to.

HeadlightBuildPhoto22

I had to extend the HID outwards toward the front of the headlight so that it would stick out from the low beam shroud. I used spacers to achieve this. Worked just fine and are solid enough. Also used strong tape and zip ties for added hold and support.

HeadlightBuildPhoto23

Them i installed these clear smoked angel eye shrouds with angle eyes over the HID projector. This ended up fitting nice and tight through the low beam shroud.

HeadlightBuildPhoto24

This is the inner shroud of the high beam.

HeadlightBuildPhoto25

This is how the high beam shrouds ended up.

HeadlightBuildPhoto26

The low beam with angel eye. Fit just right. If i hadn't of extend the HID with the spacer this would have not been possible.

HeadlightBuildPhoto27

This is the Suzuki Boulevard VZR1800 Smoked Indicator installed without the shroud.

HeadlightBuildPhoto28

Almost finished right side.

HeadlightBuildPhoto29

Almost finished left side.

HeadlightBuildPhoto30

Over time!

HeadlightBuildPhoto31

After the oven i held the assembly together nice and tight with some big rubber bands.

HeadlightBuildPhoto32

Testing the light. The pattern isn't as crisp as i would like but it's fine.

HeadlightBuildPhoto33

HID and angle eye wires out the back. Bought the rubber cups to cover up the holes from you guessed it... The Retrofit Source.

HeadlightBuildPhoto34

Wired up to the engine bay.

HeadlightBuildPhoto35

The End Result
-

I'll let the following photos do all the talking. :)

HeadlightBuildPhoto36

HeadlightBuildPhoto37

Not Done Yet -

The high beams are not as of yet connected since i did not know how to do it myself. I do have the wire harness form The Retrofit Source to make it work however. Thankfully I have found an electrician to do the job and will do it soon. The low beam HIDs and angel eyes work and look great. I also want to get the angel eyes to work separately since at the moment they turn on with the low beam.

Excuse me as i don't remember all the details since i finished this project in October 2012. If you have any question go ahead and ask.

I will take some more close up photos of the final job this weekend. Including photos with the lights on.

Last edited:
Good God that is awesome. Fantastic work, EPIC dedication and excellent craft. DO WANT. I love seeing what you do with your 2 Rodrigo, taking it to another level!!

Last edited:
Rodrigo this looks amazing!! I absolutely love it.

It would be awesome if you could get a before and after. So find an old pic and match angle.

I am very much jealous. Making me want to get started on my headlights!

Do it! If you need the HID kit, let me know.

Good God that is awesome. Fantastic work, EPIC dedication and excellent craft. DO WANT. I love seeing what you do with your 2 Rodrigo, taking it to another level!!

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate that. It was a lot of work but it turned out better than i could have hoped. Thank god.

Yeah, it's okay, I guess. :p

Whateveeeeees.... ;)

So why don't u ever want to do this? Seems simple enough.. haha jk.. wow those look great!

hah, yeah. I recommend serious dedication, time and patience if you want to do something like this.

O...m...g... Do want!

I will not create one for you. ;)

Rodrigo this looks amazing!! I absolutely love it. It would be awesome if you could get a before and after. So find an old pic and match angle.

Thank you sir! Appreciate da love. I will see what i can do about the photo comparison.

looks awesome !! Andres

Thanks Andres! And you've seen them in person.

Wow. Good job man! Awesome!

Thanks a lot!

That was a lot of work... looks brilliant.... ;-)

Indeed it was. Thanks. Much appreciated.

I might just be ordering them soon. Only problem is me and anything electrical at all do not mix...I'm not worried about taking the headlights apart but getting down to the wires will get me. I'll have a road trip and you can do them for me ;)

I might just be ordering them soon. Only problem is me and anything electrical at all do not mix...I'm not worried about taking the headlights apart but getting down to the wires will get me. I'll have a road trip and you can do them for me ;)

If you're going to use an The Retrofit Source HID kit then it's pretty much plug n play. All wires will connect to each other. If anything The Retrofit Source has the best customer service on planet earth. :)

Back