Folder and Random playback issues?

Anyone else having issues withe the Random selection during playback?

First, when you have random mode enabled and try to select track forward or back it cancels random mode completely, which is really annoying.

Second, if you have your MP3 files organized in folders on the CD and try to track forward/back it won't "span" folders.

Do i have faulty software? Or is this happening to everyone? The ability to put MP3's in Folders is totally useless if i cant change folders? And the random glitch is incredible and terrible oversite if everyone has this issue?

The "random" issues are nothing new. It's a UI flaw with the units. Anything you do to advance or go back a track disables the "random" feature as well as purging what has already been played from its memory - so songs you JUST HEARD can quite possibly play again before getting through all the music when you re-engage the random feature.

Also - I don't know of "ANY" players that can navigate folder structures on a disc. You may be asking a bit too-much of a stereo to be able to understand hierarchical folder structures on a data-disc. I'm not saying it's not possible - I (myself) have not heard of it. To the best of MY knowledge... the .MP3s all need to be at the root-level.

I am not sure why you thought the stereo would be capable of navigating such a structure... I'm not saying it's ridiculous, I am just curious if you were given the impression via reading something somewhere or word-of-mouth... or if you know others that have stereos that can deal with that. That's all.

Based on my experience with the Tech package (can't speak for other Mazda head units), music doesn't have to be at the root level and that putting music into folders is indeed possible. I do it routinely. If music is recorded into folders, then two little triangles, one up and one down, are displayed in the bottom left corner of the screen, along with all of the other info recorded on disk, such as track title, file name, etc. You press either triangle to go up and down the folders. But don't put music into folders more than one level deep. The system has to scan ALL folders on the disk before playback begins. If your folder hierarchy is too deep, it'll take the system a couple minutes before playback begins. I use software from Roxio for my recordings.

Hope that helps! Vince.

The "random" issues are nothing new. It's a UI flaw with the units. Anything you do to advance or go back a track disables the "random" feature as well as purging what has already been played from its memory - so songs you JUST HEARD can quite possibly play again before getting through all the music when you re-engage the random feature.

Also - I don't know of "ANY" players that can navigate folder structures on a disc. You may be asking a bit too-much of a stereo to be able to understand hierarchical folder structures on a data-disc. I'm not saying it's not possible - I (myself) have not heard of it. To the best of MY knowledge... the .MP3s all need to be at the root-level.

I am not sure why you thought the stereo would be capable of navigating such a structure... I'm not saying it's ridiculous, I am just curious if you were given the impression via reading something somewhere or word-of-mouth... or if you know others that have stereos that can deal with that. That's all.

Good to know. I have only tried using an .MP3 disc once - and I had all tracks at the root and it worked fine, never experimented with sub-directories.

I doubt I'll "ever" use the feature again since I now have dock installed that can accept my iPod (all 4,000+ songs) or my iPhone (small sub-set of music). Burning CDs to listen in my car is "so '90s" :) Hehehe...

Back