flywheel and clutch installed

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
I finally had my Mazdaspeed flywheel and ACT clutch installed - they go well with the turbo :). Thanks to the guys out at Speedquest for the installation.

I would really recommend these mods to the P5 owners out there - the clutch grabs so much quicker and smoother and the engine revs nicely with the lighter flywheel. Can't wait for some warm track weather :)

Mazdaspeed Flywheel - $132 from Protege5Online.com
ACT Clutch - $391 from SRMotorsports.com

I don't think you can order the flywheel from the dealer. My shipping label read "to race team" or something like that. My seller was the middleman in the transaction.

the flywheel is not listed on their site.. do you have to ask them about it or did you get hooked up or smething? also what stage clutch did you get?

Could you please explain to me why a smoother engaging clutch is worth $400+? With my NA car, I feel the stock clutch is fine. What difference do you feel performance-wise? I understand the flywheel would be beneficial and I am considering that, but I don't see what an upgraded clutch does. Please enlighten me!

the newer clutch will hold more power without slipping
this is why it engages sooner

unless your pushing more than 190hp you probably wont need to upgrade your clutch, unless you rev up and drop your clutch alot to spin your tires, then you would need to replace it because your burning it out

Did you have the clutch and fly-wheel installed or did you do it yourself? What was the damage? I am looking into getting a new fly-wheel and was wondering how much it would be to get that installed.

As much as my psychotic brother wanted to do it himself, I had the local performance shop do it. For both parts, it cost me about $400. A place like AAMCO or a tranny shop would be cheaper, but I trusted these guys. It costs about the same to have both done since both parts are right in the same area of the vehicle.

What does the Indigo Speed Fly Wheel weigh? Has anyone used this one yet? I saw it at SRMotorsports.com... they're comming out with more stuff for our car yA!! woo hoo!

PhyschoMP3 said:
What does the Indigo Speed Fly Wheel weigh? Has anyone used this one yet? I saw it at SRMotorsports.com... they're comming out with more stuff for our car yA!! woo hoo!

ya i've got it...wieghs about 9 pounds

blackp5 said:
the flywheel is not listed on their site.. do you have to ask them about it or did you get hooked up or smething? also what stage clutch did you get?

Actually, the flywheel is listed on their site - you just have to go to the 'For Sale' page, and click on the link titled 'Competition Parts'.

15lb flywheel (2lbs lighter than stock): $132.00
9lb flywheel: $386.00

Cheers,

dr_sarcasm.

Back