fluctuating rpm, stalling, cannot connect OBD

daniel0

:
2002 Protege5
I'd like to get at least another year from this car before taking it for scrap... (bang) So I'd like to get it working without replacing various components randomly. I've had the car sitting for about a year and would like to put it back on the road now that I paid the registration and insurance)

I'm seeing several issues
- I can start OK, but if I let the RPMs drop, the engine stalls
- when I keep the pedal steady in lower RPMs, I find that the RPMs fluctuate about 200/300
- If I've let the car warm up and don't let the rpms drop too quickly I find that sometimes engine doesn't die
- I cannot read the OBDII codes, as the scanner(s) cannot connect

I tried to do a seafoam treatminet, but I only used one can.
I'm thinking I should do a second can before I do the oil change. I have not seen the kind of smoke advertised, and not much is coming out of the muffler (not nothing, but I do wonder if the cat is plugged, I did see a feather that looks like it came out of the muffler, weird...)
I do have reasons to believe that the cat could have issues, such as the rattling and the shield falling off.

I swapped the spark plugs, as mine looked pretty old, but that made no difference
I've replaced the EGR not too long ago (2 years), I'll give that another cleaning.

I've looked at the vacuum lines and cannot find a leak, but that does not rule it out.

lastly I am not able to link the OBDII scanner. Any chance this could be a bad ECU, any recommended way of fixing this?
(I have replaced the main fuse just recently and see that the interior light fuse needs replacing, could this be related? )

Oh, forgot to mention. The (AM) radio is not working, that could be related...
I've swapped for another one and sure enough the ODBII linked now
(bang)(bang)(bang)

Last edited:
...(I did see a feather that looks like it came out of the muffler, weird...)

You should check your muffler for birds !!!

You may need to hire a professional !!!

Seriously,... A bird's nest ( or mouse) could plug up your exhaust and stall your engine...

Your muffler may have turned into a mouse condo...

Last edited:
I've replaced one of the fuel injector gaskets that was broken and was hissing and smell like gas, but that didn't really do much for my engine idling wildly.

I've also got some mad clicking coming from my Purge Solenoid Valve
http://www.videosprout.com/video?id=b1f23570-df87-4a4a-90cc-03266a1ddc1e
I've managed to plug it back in at about 26s

There's a good chance that this is adding to the problem, but any idea what I can do to check that fixing it would resolve the issue before going and buying a new one?

So... it was the EGR
I replaced the IAC recently not the EGR, got them mixed up (oops)

anyway, I did clean the EGR a while ago, but then I had the car sitting for almost a year.
So when I looked at the EGR, I saw it was completely seized.

Cleaned it with carb cleaner and put a bit of WD40 on it and it's springy again.

The car still sounds like a tractor, but it doesn't stall anymore. (yay)

You may want to consider installing a "Canadian" EGR...

It's expensive and kinda difficult to install but it has coolant lines and those who have installed it never had a problem with it again.

With the amount of rust this thing has, I have a hard time justifying putting new components into it. I'm just trying to keep it alive at this point.

Yea,... I hear that.

It's hard to standby and watch your friend slowly die of cancer.

The air intake is notoriously prone to developing cracks in the "bellows" section. Once there is a hole there the car will act as the OP describes. If that is the problem wrapping the bellows well with tape will temporarily resolve the issue, and you can drive it like that for a couple of days until the new piece comes in from Rock Auto (or wherever).

Back