Flares+drop+17's+passengers=Rub?

Well i finally got my car dropped last week(had the springs for one year) And i just got my Konig 17's. Here is my problem. I take these girls home after work, 4 of them to be exact, and my wheels rub against the inside of the Wings West Fender Flare. I would like to resolve the situation this weekend before i get back to work but don't really know what to do. I took the wheels off today and saw the tire isn't rubbin against the wheel well itself just the flare, but i can see the marks on the tire from the rubbing and the inside of the flare is peeling. Only thing i can think of is to make a groove on the inside of the fender flare to allow the wheel the little extra room it needs.
I still had my stock springs in the trunk yesterday so my car was really weighed down and the whole trip to these girls town(Like 3 miles from my job) all i heard was rubbing so i went extra slow. I took the springs out the trunk today so it wasn't that bad plus i told the fat girl to sit in the middle in the back(I felt bad but I had to keep it gully) This situation is killing me guys please help! By the way i have 17x7 Konig's running 205/40/17 Parada Spec II tires.

What is the offset of the wheels you have? seems to me that they are probably not the ideal offset for a car that has been lowered, which is why you are now rubbing with a load in the car.

WESLEEPTHEYLIVE said:
40mm offset..thoughts?

from the image in your sig I guess this means you have a sedan...not to mention you put a wings west kit on...

so....with that....your offset is incorrect for your car....you should be running a +42 for a sedan, and that is barely making it....you would be better off with a +45.........then the rubbing wouldn't be happening.

This information is all outlined in the sticky thread at the top of the forum......

Last edited:
quote from rishies thread
"205/40/17
-------------
7.0" +42 and higher; Barely making it , And he mentions the sedans' can run 2 to 3mm more offset" Maybe i'm confused. According to rishie's sticky the sedan can ran up to a 40m offset, which is what i have. Now my problem is not that i'm rubbing in my wheelwell, it's just that i've never heard anybody in the forum account for wings west fender flares. Butl like i said if i can cut a groove on the fender flare i won't be rubbing at all i'm just trying to see if anyone else with the fender flares and 17's could help me out.

Last edited:
That sounds strange .. I guess I've never really taken a good look at how the fender flares sit on the car. Because what I would think is that if it's rubbing the flare it would definitely be rubbing the fender. Hm.

WESLEEPTHEYLIVE - think you're reading it wrong...

7.0" +42 and higher; Barely making it , And he mentions the sedans' can run 2 to 3mm more offset"

This means that you add to 42...so 45 would be ideal...

ACTUALLY you are both incorrect in your quote....he says that the sedan can run 2mm to 3mm LESS offset.....although you got the quote wrong WESLEEP....your math is correct....but....remember he said barely making it...

and as Rishie will tell you.....not all wheels or tires are created equal....thus if you walk the line....and run the minimum....depending on the specific wheel/tire combo you are running you MAY experience rubbing....that is why you would be wise to run a few more MM of offset than the absolute minimum.

Get tires with a more rounded shoulder (like Pirelli P7000) or add more negative camber .. otherwise it might require some kind of modification of the fenders.

WESLEEPTHEYLIVE said:
so what would my options be right now? coilovers? Would adjustable struts help? What kind of coilovers can i use with my eibachs

well here is what I would do. I would get ahold of Rishie and tell him EXACTLY what brand/model of wheel you have....he will probably know if the wheels center hub has enough material on them to have your wheels mounting surfaces machined. That is have a nother 4 or 5 mm machined off INCREASING your offset. this will give you the clearance you need/want.

as for coilovers......well coilovers come with their own springs...you don't sue coilovers with your own springs...thus their name....COILOVERS = coilsprings over shocks/struts.

Latest posts

Back