Firt Post!! CX-9 Questions

njmazda9

Very much the newbie on this forum (and really on cars in general - definitely don't know as much as you all seem to know!!), this is my first post. I've been reading a lot about the CX-9 and am very interested in it. You've all provided so much great information and I've learned so much just from reading all your posts - thanks so much!!

But I have some questions...

1. Doesn't seem that Mazda has the right color combination that we're looking for. Ideally we'd like the Galaxy Gray or the Liquid Metallic with Sand interior - for some reason that's not popular enough for them to have that as an option. My question to you is, is it not even an option is it's special ordered? Seems like something that can be done, but not sure - can you let me know if Mazda, or the dealers will do such a thing?

2. Otherwise, we were thinking of either (1) Black with Sand interior, or the (2) Gray or Metallic with Black interior (we have a 2yr old now, and are planning to up that to 2 kids). Our concerns with the Black with Sand interior is that the exterior will get dirty much more easily than with the Gray/Metallic, and that the 'light' Sand interior may also get dirty more easily than the Black interior. And with the Gray/Metallic with Black interior, we feel that the Black interior just makes the interior seem 'smaller' / more clausterphobic (sp?) and that during summer months will absorb heat/sun much more than the Sand interior. Those of you with these sort of combinations I'm sure have good advice/input from experience - if you could please provide me with them I'd really appreciate it.

3. We wanted basically 'the works' on the options, but as you all know, you can't get both the Moonroof and Rear Entertainment. So the dealer suggested getting the Moonroof factory installed and then they would do an aftermarket installation of the Rear Entertainment. They didn't mention anything about the "Mazda" Rear Entertainment system, they mentioned some Audiovox system that they could install - they said either the (1) overhead system or the (2) headrests system. So my question to you guys is, what is the better way to go with this? Are there pros and cons - if those of you that have done this could provide your feedback!! Also, I noticed in the CX-9 accessories brochure, there's a "Dockable Entertainment System" - what is this, and would this be something I would want (1) Mazda to factory install (if that's even an option), or (2) the dealer to install aftermarket.

4. Then we come to the "Remote Start". Doesn't seem that our dealer likes to order CX-9's with the factory installed Remote Start. So they said they could do an installation for me. Although, I think they said they don't install the "Mazda" Remote Start, but another brand (can't remember it, it starts with a "P", maybe "Pursuit" - can't remember!) So being that I really don't know the first thing about Remote Starts, could you guys offer suggestions as to what kind to get? And would I necessarily want to get the "Mazda" factory installed Remote Start, or does it not really make a difference if the dealer does an aftermarket installation of another brand. I am also asking because I don't really know what sort of features you would want/not want in a Remote Start, and also, can the functionality be incorporated into the same "key card", or must you have 'another' "key" in addition to the CX-9 "key card" - in which case you have to carry 2 separate items in your pocket?? Please some advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

5. Regarding the Mazda "Navi", I've heard good things and bad, but in general do you think it is a good option to go with for $2.5k??

I think that might be it for right now. I know that's a lot, but just wanted to get these points out there being that I know you can all provide some good insight. Just as a side note, I was sitting in my neighbor's fully loaded Buick Enclave and I was quite impressed, although I didn't take it for a spin - just wondering why I wouldn't go with that car - it seems to have all the options I could even think of (outside of the Blind Spot Monitoring).

Thanks so much everyone!!

First off, Welcome!!!

As for your questions:

1) Mazda only builds the vehicles the way the are offered in the brochure, there are no "special" factory orders. Honda, Toyota, Nissan etc....are the same way.

2) Black will definately take more effort to keep clean, but it does look great when it is clean. As far as interior color I've heard varying opinions on which is easier to keep clean. I have black interior and it definately shows the dirt.

3) The after market DVD system is fine if its done right.

4) Nav system I don't have so I can't really comment on it.

I'm sure some others will be along to offer their opinions.

I'll try and answer some of your questions...

1. Mazda has discontinued some of the color combos (int/ext) you are looking for. I don't think you can special order them either. If your local dealer does not have the color or options, you can check Mazda's inventory on their website for other dealers nearby (assuming you are in NJ, there must be a bunch in the tri-state area). Buy directly from that dealer or see if they can send it to you locally.

2. My CX-9 is Black on Black and we have 2 kids (6 & 3). The exterior always seems to be dirty with pollen or dirt. the interior works well for hiding spills, dirt and general kid messes. With tinted windows, I don't think the interior will get much hotter than the lighter leather.

3. My preference is to go with the portable DVD player which hangs on straps on the headrest. this way they can use it on planes or take it other places. I don't use it for everyday errands, but only for long trips.

4. I love the (factory) remote start. again, if your dealer does not have it, search Mazda's inventory. It does seem to be a rare option. The factory start comes on it's own FOB, but it's just a small 1 button keychain. it would be nice if it was integrated.

5. The Nav is fairly basic. people seem to like or hate it. if you are used to the portable Garmin-type units then you will not like it. for me, it does the basic functionality which I need. is it worth $2500, no, but it's bundled with other options which I wanted (rear liftgate, rear camera).

good luck and hope that helps.

PS - I don't think you'll get much sympathy on the Enclave on this forum ;)

I'll try and answer some of your questions...

3. My preference is to go with the portable DVD player which hangs on straps on the headrest. this way they can use it on planes or take it other places. I don't use it for everyday errands, but only for long trips.

If he goes with the factory DES(Dockable Entertainment System), he'll have exactly that, a portable DVD player. It docks with the car and can be taken anywhere.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3836462&postcount=24

I like that, but it was not avail at the time. plus 2 kids = 2 dvd players so they can watch what they want - cuts down on the arguments for movie choices ;)

I have a portable Garmin 680. It's near the top of the line. CostCo recently had it for $300--I paid $100 more. Factory nav rarely works as well, and costs much more.

The main thing to be sure to get with the entertainment system is wireless headphones. I have a cheap portable system without them, and audio is a big problem on the highway.

We have 3 kids under 5 and a Black with Sand. Interior is no problem keeping clean (espcially since Prince Lionheart) have an excellent color match for the child seat protectors (see Amazon). The black is harder to keep clean (hand smudges) but I don't regret the extra work.

Like you I wanted the Grey/Sand combination (extinct 2007). I saw it once in an Allentown dealership but declined My personal view is that the Grey was not metallic enough (like the BMW Gun Metal Grey).

I have version B of DVD navigation. So far, I don't have any problem with NAV. I know the latest version is D and it far better than mine. Factory remote start is great.

Thanks to all of you for your responses, as usual, they were very helpful, and sparked more heated discussion within the household!! I think we're talking ourselves into the Black with Sand interior.

1. live2ski, yes, like you, we did consider just using our portable dvd player with 2 monitors that hang over the headrests, but just felt we would like to have something that was 'built in' (yes, we are lazy!!).

2. ushtang, I like the look of the Dockable Entertainment System that you have, but I have 1 concern with these aftermarket overhead units. I'd like to know how far back the monitor is now that they had to install it beyond the moonroof - is it really any further back than any other car (or even the factory installed in the CX-9) that has a factory installed dvd entertainment unit? The reason why I would consider the "in headrest" monitors would be because I wouldn't want the location of the overhead monitor to 'strain' the necks of those sitting in the 2nd row. I felt that the aftermarket installation would have the monitor sitting much further back in the car in such a way that the 2 people sitting in the side seats would have to strain their necks too much. If you could shed a little light on this that would be great!

3. live2ski, you mentioned 'tinted windows'. I know the 2nd row comes with some sort of tint, however, could anyone let me know how easy/how costly it is to get a 'darker' tint in the back windows. And is that something that people tend to do? I've read here and there about the different 'levels/degrees/percentages' of tint that people consider, could you explain this a little more? I mention this because I was in my friend's new Black A4 that had 'extra' tint, and I really liked the look of it. Also, what is the story around putting some tint in the first row windows? I thought I once heard that it is illegal? Or is that just from the factory, but anyone is able to do it 'aftermarket'?

4. And lastly, we recently heard a family member mention the "Costco Pricing Program". We looked into it and they said that for the CX-9, the price that the dealer will give you is the "invoice" price - no questions asked. That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, but I'd like to hear from all of you what you think. And based on everyone's experience, what have you been able to purchase the CX-9 for relative to the "invoice" pricing. Don't really understand if there's a catch to this or not, but want to understand this a little more - seems too easy. Or is it common that buyers are able to even negotiate lower than the 'invoice' price. And just to have a little more clarity on this, is the "invoice" price on a CX-9 universal?? Or does it vary from dealer to dealer?

Again, thanks so much for your time in reviewing and offering advice!!

njmazda9,
Welcome aboard.
Dockable DVD system is the only one available to match Moonroof from factory.
It is pricey, so it is up to you.
I sat at the 2nd row in my co-worker's Sienna with Moonroof and DVD entertainment system. I had to turn my head at least 45 degree to view the monitor. I don't think it will work well for long trip.
Finally, buying it at invoice is NOT acceptable at this time. MAZDA is having $1500 rebate to all dealers for 2008. This is unannounced to public. Check with edmunds.com and your will read that people are getting $1500 BELOW INVOICE with some negotiation.
Don't take it at invoice.

Tinting windows is actually faily cheap, I was amazed when I had all the windows done in my Audi for a little less than $200. I had all windows done except for the windshield, at the legal limit of 35% in North Carolina. You better check what is the legal limit in your state before doing the driver and passenger windows, because some states do check the tint level during inspection. 35% made a big difference in cooling off the car during hot, sunny weather. Any darker than that, the police officers will likely have a hand on their gun when they come up to your car during a traffic stop ;)

RE: remote start

I got a remote starter for my wife's last 2 cars. I initially wanted the factory accessory remote, but I learned that most factory remote starters have the range of your key fob, which is usually in sight of your car. The aftermarket starters have a much longer range and usually have a windshield mounted antenna to help that range, so you can start your car from your desk at work or the checkout at the store.

I think I'd prefer the factory/accessory remote still if it was integrated into the smart key.

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful.

So now I'm down to trying to figure out target pricing on the (1) Audiovox Headrest DVD units and the (2) Pursuit Remote Engine Start.

I need to understand what sort of pricing to factor in when trying to calculate what my offer would be.

Could you let me know if anyone knows how much the 2 above items would be, and/or 'ballpark' what I should be paying for Headrest DVD units and Remote Engine Starts?

Once again, thanks so much for your input!!

I had my CX-9 tinted 20% all the way around (except windshield) for $180.

Hi Force-1 and all,

What type of tint did you use? I read somewhere that certain metallic tint will interfere with the navigational system. I wasn't sure if you ran into that issue.

thanks,
thirdroute

First time poster here too.

1, 2) Colors: I liked the sand interior better, but I have 3 demons (13,11,3). Having had sand fabric and gray and black leather before, the latter is much more kid-friendly. Worrying about getting it dirty all the time just takes so much fun away from the car.

Black outside looks just awesome, when sparkling clean. Red is also really nice. However it's so damn dusty around here that they look dirty all the time. So I went with Silver and I love it. Black inside hides kid-dirt (mud, spills, "trasfer"crap) better but does show dust, light threads, polen, more. Dark colors don't always make interiors smaller. In some cases, they make the edges recede so that they have the opposite effect. I think this is the case with the 9.

3) I was offered a demo with 700 mi and sunroof. Since I wanted the DVD, they offered to toss in the factroy system with double headrest screens for the same price as new, with full warranty. Unfortunately, the Leasing Co delayed approval due to cash flow issues and someone else took that one. On its own, the system costs about 3 grand. As NJmazda9 notes, the position when you have the sunroof is too far back for 2nd row and too far forward for 3rd row. Also the "dockable system" is basically a pricey portable DVD with a custom plastic bezel. Once you try the original system, there's just no way you'd want the other.

Put a good DVD scene in the factory system and mess the dials a bit with the Bose system. You won't miss the moonroof. Look at your kid faces as you do this.

4,5) Remote start and Navi aren't available South of the Border. Love the smart card, though.

Checked out the Enclave (eventhough it isn't available in Mexico either). It's a very nice car but perhaps a little too chromey. The Acadia was a close second but the fully loaded Mazda came in right between the cheapest cloth-interior and the middle Acadias. For the price, it's Mazda, by far. Plus I like the firm ride and the much less bland styling too.

Glad to be here.

Back