Finally decided on wheels - help with tire & offsets

Camshaft

:
2011 Mazda2
Hey guys, since ordering my Mazda2 I've wanted a set of Work Equip 01s for it. Now that Rota has the Zero Plus wheel available, I'm ready to take the plunge. I'm planning on installing the H&R lowering sprigs from CorkSport. I'm assuming that I'll have to run 15x7s in the front and 15x8s in the rear...what offsets should I run? What tire sizes should I be looking at to avoid rubbing? Will I have to run spacers and defferent studs? I'm going for kind of a retro '70s-'80s shakotan JDM look...even though it's a new car.

http://www.racinglab.com/rota-wheel-zero-plus.html

I've never lowered a car or experimented with different wheel sizes before. I appreciate any and all help. Assume I'm a complete idiot, because I am.

Last edited:
I am a form follows function person so I recommend 15x7 all around +35 offset is fine, and 195-50-15 tires or 205-50-15. You should get no rubbing at stock ride heights. Either wait for more feedback or browse around for fitment issues.

I haven't picked up lowering springs yet, but there are folks who have run the H&R's and similar with the same tire size Joker mentioned.

I just installed H&R springs along with 16inch konig feathers wrapped in 205-50-16 hankooks and it's the perfect combination of looks and function. No rubbing what so ever.

Yup, what Joker said. If you must have that flush look in the rear to match the front, just run a quality spacer.

Yup, what Joker said. If you must have that flush look in the rear to match the front, just run a quality spacer.

Couldn't I run the 15x8s in the rear with the right offset? I know XCLR8TN was running 15x9s with no problem, and it looked great.

If I'm calculating my aspect ratio correctly, the 205/50r15 is only .75mm larger than the stock tire. Right?

Last edited:
15x7.5 with 35 offset with H&R drop rubs in the front when turning at the maximum. Not a problem tough.

^ Hey JS, what tire size are you running? Camber bolts, yes or no? Rolled your fenders?

If you're wanting to go with a more, full fender/wheel well look, 15x8 +36 would be ideal with a 195/50/15. Has a bit of stretch, but still safe to use with a high grip tire. That would be a nice look, and fitment all-around. Roll your fenders, get camber bolts up front, and you're set. Put a nice meaty Star Spec on there, and you're laughing

Now, I don't have experience with the H&R springs, or know how soft they are, so you might, or might not, be able to get away with a 205/50/15.. You'd have ass loads of grip with those, and some nice braking too.

^ Hey JS, what tire size are you running? Camber bolts, yes or no? Rolled your fenders?

If you're wanting to go with a more, full fender/wheel well look, 15x8 +36 would be ideal with a 195/50/15. Has a bit of stretch, but still safe to use with a high grip tire. That would be a nice look, and fitment all-around. Roll your fenders, get camber bolts up front, and you're set. Put a nice meaty Star Spec on there, and you're laughing

Now, I don't have experience with the H&R springs, or know how soft they are, so you might, or might not, be able to get away with a 205/50/15.. You'd have ass loads of grip with those, and some nice braking too.

Yes. Excellent. *rubs fingers together* However, the 15x8s are only offered in +20 offset. So I assume the following:

-narrower lip than 15x7 +35
-would need 15mm spacers to sit flush
-could forego spacers on the front, would not have to roll fenders or use camber bolt kit

Am I right about any of this? I want to be flush, with a baby stretch, but I want a nice lip, too. Decisions, decisions.

Hello Camshaft! It's nice to see another Clevelander here on the forums!

Anyway... I am currenlty running 949 Racing 15x7.5 6UL's with 205/50/R15 Bridgestone Potenza Tires. My Mazda2 is also lowered about 1 inch on Bilstein Coilovers. I have had zero issues with rubbing. I could have run 15x8 6UL's all the way around and still not had any issues although fitmet up front would have been real tight.

- Tom

Hello Camshaft! It's nice to see another Clevelander here on the forums!

Anyway... I am currenlty running 949 Racing 15x7.5 6UL's with 205/50/R15 Bridgestone Potenza Tires. My Mazda2 is also lowered about 1 inch on Bilstein Coilovers. I have had zero issues with rubbing. I could have run 15x8 6UL's all the way around and still not had any issues although fitmet up front would have been real tight.

- Tom

We should get together sometime! PM me your number.

What offset are you running? I'd like to see your car in person.

Yes. Excellent. *rubs fingers together* However, the 15x8s are only offered in +20 offset. So I assume the following:

-narrower lip than 15x7 +35
-would need 15mm spacers to sit flush
-could forego spacers on the front, would not have to roll fenders or use camber bolt kit

Am I right about any of this? I want to be flush, with a baby stretch, but I want a nice lip, too. Decisions, decisions.

+35 and a 15 mm spacer is +20 right?

Why do you want to run wider wheels on the rear of a front wheel drive car?

Because it looks cool, why else? :p

Since the rear wheels don't turn, I won't have to worry about them rubbing when I'm maneuvering through parking lots or whatever, so I want to go as wide as possible.

Because it looks cool, why else? :p

Since the rear wheels don't turn, I won't have to worry about them rubbing when I'm maneuvering through parking lots or whatever, so I want to go as wide as possible.

Gotcha!

I assumed staggered width wheels were a form of function (that function being more traction for the powered wheels). But there's nothing wrong with making your car look how you want it to look.

Gotcha!

I assumed staggered width wheels were a form of function (that function being more traction for the powered wheels). But there's nothing wrong with making your car look how you want it to look.

I'm glad you understand! You're right about it typically being a functional mod...two of my other cars are RWD with staggered figment for better traction. In this case, aside from a bit of extra weight I don't think it'll hurt anything. It might look a little silly to some but then again we are talking about a candy lime green hatchback with a smiley face.

Stock tires (185/55 r15) until they are used to death ; ) No camber bolts and my fenders are not rolled. I'm on H&R springs. Like I said, it rubs against the plastic but BARELY. I have the turn alllll the way to the right for the tire to touch the fender plastic and even then it's not a problem.

H&R are very sofff.

Back