Fiesta banned from stock class autox, but not the 2.

Some serious 2-wheel airtime in that video! Good to see the driver back off, and courteously not hit any cones either. Our cars can do the same, but theoretically not as easy as the normal fiesta.

It says "stock", so will it still be allowed in STF, FSP, etc?? I read the article and the FastTrack and didn't see it clarified for thick-skulled individuals like myself.

*obligatory ford rollover joke goes here*

It says "stock", so will it still be allowed in STF, FSP, etc?? I read the article and the FastTrack and didn't see it clarified for thick-skulled individuals like myself.

*obligatory ford rollover joke goes here*
If you look at the latest version of the SCCA rule book here (dated Jan 8, 2015):

http://www.scca.com/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

You'll see that the Fiesta is banned from H Street, while the Fiesta ST is still good for H Street. The naturally aspirated 1.6L base car is still good for STF; the 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta is in STS; the Fiesta ST gets classed in STX. But none of the current gen Fiesta is listed under any of the SP class.

It is not very clear to me how a Fiesta of anything trim level would grade in SP. Personally, as long as the car is lowered, I think it should be fine. But it will be up to the individual clubs to decided how an SP-modded Fiesta would be classed.

one day I'm going to submit to have a mirage in scca. probably will end up waiting till after school before I get one though

I know this lot, this car specifically, and this driver. He is a very talented guy...He bolted on some ZII on some 16x7 wheels and this was event #2 of ownership ( miles 305-309). This event, and the one just a week prior, were done on the stock shocks specifically to see what the car needed in terms of valving for either custom Koni DAs or Ohlins. Needless to say, the car us up for sale as it's looking like he's heading back to RWD (Car#121 for those if you that know him). I had an offer from him to co drive the car that previous weekend, but I was trying out some cold weather setups myself otherwise I would have driven it. I went so far as to accept a partial season co drive in the car to see just how good this would fair against the MINI in HS. That all being said. The lot had a HUGE part to play in this "event". If you watch the video carefully, you'll see a dip driver left just before turn in for that right apex. that compressed the left side suspension enough that when it rebounded off the bump stop, exploded all that energy skyward making the car completely so upset that there was no shock left (after the stock shock valve blowoff) to dampen the turn in; thus bicycle.

I knew from day one, event one, run (and only) one that the Mazda2 was at risk for this same sort of "incident" without installing some sort of custom strut in the car. Back when this car was new (2012), there was only one option (from CS).. Now there are others but I knew this wasn't a good HS car, nor did it have a chance against the MINI in stock class so I chose STF. .Not to bash the Mazda2 HS guys, but you are only one "perfect storm" away from this exact type of incident. I've seen 2 Golfs, a Saturn, and a Civic on their lids, not a fun afternoon filling out incident paperwork. Luckily the most serious of the injuries was a sprained wrist.

I think the SCCA made a great call excluding the car from Street (stock) class. If you run this car in STF with limited prep( tires and no strut improvement)(or your Mazda2 in HS without strut improvement), you are putting yourself and your club( SCCA or other) at risk for rollover potential.. Not to scare you off, but you are.

Now....a note to MAZDA...IF you bring the 2016 Mazda2 stateside, AND you don't lower the current proposed ride height and or widen the track width using a lower offset wheel, THIS vehicle will also become excluded from Street(stock) class, further distancing this vehicle from your sporty customer base and drastically defeating the Zoom Zoom heritage we've all grown to love about Mazdas over the last almost 3 decades. Honda proved 40 years ago that you CAN have a sporty fun to drive car, that gets 40mpg on the highway and is STILL under 5ft tall. Let's get back to that. These B segment cars are getting WAY too tall...

Last edited:
If you look at the latest version of the SCCA rule book here (dated Jan 8, 2015):

http://www.scca.com/assets/2015-1-8_SCCA_Solo_Rules_book_online1.pdf

It is not very clear to me how a Fiesta of anything trim level would grade in SP. Personally, as long as the car is lowered, I think it should be fine. But it will be up to the individual clubs to decided how an SP-modded Fiesta would be classed.
I would think the Fiesta ST and the Mini Cooper S would be linked at the hip in DSP..Similiar weight weight power and response to boost programming. 250hp in an DSP legal trimmed 2100lb ish ST would be fun.

I would think the Fiesta ST and the Mini Cooper S would be linked at the hip in DSP..Similiar weight weight power and response to boost programming. 250hp in an DSP legal trimmed 2100lb ish ST would be fun.

The stock fiesta ST is around 2800lbs, I'm not sure how you could cut 700lbs off the car and still be DSP legal.

Thanks for posting your notes/thoughts on the behavior of the car in rough lots. I ran 1 auto-x in my 2, stock with upgraded tires on a smooth lot, and the roll was a bit frightening. Glad it wasn't on our crap lot...I'm definitely doing suspension upgrades for springtime.

The stock fiesta ST is around 2800lbs, I'm not sure how you could cut 700lbs off the car and still be DSP legal.

Thanks for posting your notes/thoughts on the behavior of the car in rough lots. I ran 1 auto-x in my 2, stock with upgraded tires on a smooth lot, and the roll was a bit frightening. Glad it wasn't on our crap lot...I'm definitely doing suspension upgrades for springtime.

Seats, exhaust, carpet under padding and sound deadening, rear seat removal along with rear carpet lightweight control arms. lightweight hood, removal of A/C, light wheels (15") and Hoosiers (which weigh much less than real DOT street tires)..Header, intake with half exhaust.. Easy 700lbs right there. Remember Kirky Seat 7lbs each, stock Recaros 45lb each.

And not a bad idea to use discretion...always trust your gut.

Seats, exhaust, carpet under padding and sound deadening, rear seat removal along with rear carpet lightweight control arms. lightweight hood, removal of A/C, light wheels (15") and Hoosiers (which weigh much less than real DOT street tires)..Header, intake with half exhaust.. Easy 700lbs right there. Remember Kirky Seat 7lbs each, stock Recaros 45lb each.

And not a bad idea to use discretion...always trust your gut.

Not all of those are ST-legal mods. ST-legal seats have a 25 lb minimum weight, and AC can't be removed if it's not unavailable from the factory, for instance. Lightweight body panels (re: Hood) bump you to Street Modified. I have little doubt you can get the car that light, just not that light in Street Touring. It would be an absolute riot though.

A few of the Track Volunteer guys in my region have noted that in b-spec "everything" seems to roll over, aside from the minis. I'm glad that I'm doing the suspension in my 2 before the AX season starts.

Not all of those are ST-legal mods. ST-legal seats have a 25 lb minimum weight, and AC can't be removed if it's not unavailable from the factory, for instance. Lightweight body panels (re: Hood) bump you to Street Modified. I have little doubt you can get the car that light, just not that light in Street Touring. It would be an absolute riot though.

A few of the Track Volunteer guys in my region have noted that in b-spec "everything" seems to roll over, aside from the minis. I'm glad that I'm doing the suspension in my 2 before the AX season starts.

Agreed on the ST limitations, but we were talking of an SP build (DSP which is where I think the Fiesta ST will end up). All bets are off on seat weight, emission controls and alternate body materials.

Last edited:
A few of the Track Volunteer guys in my region have noted that in b-spec "everything" seems to roll over, aside from the minis.

That sounds about right, I have seen every make up on two wheels at some point on the track over the last few years of racing B-Spec, minis included..

Agreed on the ST limitations, but we were talking of an SP build (DSP which is where I think the Fiesta ST will end up). All bets are off on seat weight, emission controls and alternate body materials.

Oh, derp. Reading comprehension > deadlydave the last few weeks. DSP sounds spot on. I don't get out-of-region much, but DSP is a pretty thin class locally.

The 2 can definitely come up on two wheels fairly easily with sticky enough rubber. I drove my Girlfriends STF Mazda2 at the Mt Ascutney hill climb this past weekend and it was on two wheels fairly often. I had to slow down and find a different line through turn 29 after the inside two came WAY up on me two runs in a row. (boom01)

By "sticky enough rubber", how sticky are we talking about? 225 R-comp sticky? 205 wide, 200TW sticky? Also, on what kind of suspension are we talking about here?

By "sticky enough rubber", how sticky are we talking about? 225 R-comp sticky? 205 wide, 200TW sticky? Also, on what kind of suspension are we talking about here?
205/50r15 Direzza ZII's with H&R springs and Corksport adjustable dampers.

205/50r15 Direzza ZII's with H&R springs and Corksport adjustable dampers.

I could see that. It's a great suspension package don't get me wrong, but WAY too soft for what your trying to do with it. Every time you get the car into a hard braking corner, you're on the front bump stops and the shocks just can't handle that much rate. As the spring explodes off the bump stop and you get mid corner along with the higher G forces associated with the grip level the tires can provide, it's just too much for a high CG (center of gravity) car like ours. Add in possible camber changes and road imperfections normally associated with events like hill climbs, and of course it would bicycle. Thats why for track days (BSpec), Mazdaspeed had the Bilsteins revalved and upped the spring rates (way up from their first version, which became the Ford Autocross kit). Ford then went one step further and doubled the rate to try and control this by coming up with their own BSpec kit which helped minimize these occurrences. Now I'm NOT saying that if you went to sky high spring rates and got uber fancy shocks it would PREVENT this, but if drastically reduces these situations and will greatly you help the car settle in most corners. You'll still have the road undulations to deal with so anything "could" happen. It's a regular occurrence that the most B Spec cars get up on 2 wheels during events especially when they are aggressive on the curbing. Andres and I co drove his car Sunday at the NJ Tour and blew out the RF strut. His car was a mess on course and was seen several times in that "danger zone". My car on Saturday had zero problems with this. Even with the blown strut, we were able to match our Saturday times, but the car was very scary to drive.

The CS struts are a really nice street/part time Autocross entry level shock package. You'll need much more than that if you want to continue to have fun at those types of events with the Mazda2; and be safe doing it.

And by uber shocks, I mean a true coilover with springs rate up over the 400 number front and rear and struts valved to handle that. I've had conversations with a couple of the BSpec guys, and the consensus is that the car would be much much more controllable and faster with more spring and shock. But thems the rules...

Last edited:
For Autocross, it is a bit soft. For hillclimb in the northeast, where there are very few hard braking zones and severe frost heaves on a lot of the hills, a little more compliance and droop travel is helpful. The corner I kept coming on two wheels on and had to slow down and take a different line for I was still attacking harder than 90% of the drivers with stiff coilovers there because I didn't have to worry about my spleen exploding or a sudden loss of traction because the suspension couldn't cope (no droop travel). Besides, the car is still mostly my girlfriends daily and occasional autocross car. I have a BRZ setup for STX that I use for autocross/track days.

Last edited:
I might end up looking at something else for the car if she gets something else and I got more serious with it. I don't think the Corksport Struts will survive much longer under hard use. They started seeping a bit after a Rallycross event that she did, and while they haven't gotten worse I'm sure that its only a matter of time before they are completely toast.

Back