Factory remote start

Scotch3, I'd be interested in your pictures as well. We don't need it as much here in the winter as we do in the summer.

Mxer - I think they are the same. What I have seen is that the C is the newer version.
This place shows all the numbers listed:
http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/products/REMOTE-ENGINE-START-KIT/9897813/00008FN02C.html

This is the cheapest I have found it:

http://mazdagear.com/remoteenginestartkit-n02-cx-9.aspx

Thanks for the answer!

The cheapest I found is here. (not sure how legit it is )

http://www.quirkparts.com/oe-mazda/00008fn02c

Not sure of the differences in shipping though. Everyday my wife tells me about how her old car had remote start and our baby needs a warm car and she needs a warm car ....I better order it and slap it in. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage and the high is about 20 all week.

I'm not too keen on having the horn chirp when you start the car (wife goes to work at 5 am).

Do you think it would be possible to just not splice in the horn connection or will mess with the unit? I'm guessing it just pulses a 12v signal to the horn and doesn't require a "feedback" to ensure the horn went off.

Edit: Just realized you need the horn to program it...maybe I can install a small single pole toggle switch near the programming switch.

Last edited:
Scotch...

Did you somehow seal the wire taps especially the ones under the hood? Either with silicone or electrical tape?

Yes, I put a some sealant on it. Then I put some wire loom over it and then taped it up from there. This was for the tach signal wire at the ECM under the hood. I didn't do anything to the others in the cabin beyond normal taping. Unless you really spray the engine down with a water hose, it probably isn't going to get too wet anyway as it's up high and tucked behind the battery. But since those wire taps don't make quite as good of a connection as regular connectors or soldering.... and because Mazda recommends it, I went ahead and "sealed" it.

As for the horn, you could easily wire in an interrupt switch to disable it after you get it programed. I doubt that remote start is smart enough to read or sense any load on it. And if it did, you could come up with your own dummy load as it's almost certainly only powering a relay.

I am working on the write up for the remote start. I'll try to get it posted tonight... or a least a good part of it.

Here is the sole wire tap under the hood...

cx-9_remote_start059-L.jpg

cx-9_remote_start150-M.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer!

The cheapest I found is here. (not sure how legit it is )

http://www.quirkparts.com/oe-mazda/00008fn02c

Not sure of the differences in shipping though. Everyday my wife tells me about how her old car had remote start and our baby needs a warm car and she needs a warm car ....I better order it and slap it in. Unfortunately I don't have a heated garage and the high is about 20 all week.

Keep an eye out on eBay, since the CX9 is not a very popular I was able to pick one up brand new for $150.

Also the horn beep is very faint and quick, like the chirp when u lock the car but about half as strong and long.

EDIT: sorry didnt realize this thread was 3 months old.

Last edited:
Heh, it's always good to get an update on the pricing. Way better than the $500 a dealer would charge you

Keep an eye out on eBay, since the CX9 is not a very popular I was able to pick one up brand new for $150.

Also the horn beep is very faint and quick, like the chirp when u lock the car but about half as strong and long.

EDIT: sorry didnt realize this thread was 3 months old.

Thanks for the heads up. I rearranged my garage and barely able to get that thing in there so I have done the remote start. I probably won't as long as it's in the garage overnight.

I didn't use the horn wire..nice and quiet. Also the small remotes are horrible on batteries the CR1220 is not readily available and the remote itself has fallen off my key ring. Its quite a shame they couldn't integrate the remote start into the factory smart fob.

Latest posts

Back