Exhaust Fumes

thenry662

:
Mazda cx 9 GT
I have a 2008 CX9 92K miles lately I"ve noticed a smell of exhaust fumes coming from the vehicle while I'm warming it up in the morning, The smell usually goes away once the care is warmed up. Can anyone provide me with a cause?

I have a 2008 CX9 92K miles lately I"ve noticed a smell of exhaust fumes coming from the vehicle while I'm warming it up in the morning, The smell usually goes away once the care is warmed up. Can anyone provide me with a cause?

at 92K and a 2008 , I suspect a bad exhaust pipe coupling, or a break in the exhaust pipe from the engine front to the back. I've experienced this before on my previous vehicle, it was a rubber coupling off the engine to the long pipe down to the vehicle rear. I can smell fumes like you described and a hissing sound.
My local shop replaced the rubber coupling and all was good again. You'll need to get the car on a lift and ask them to inspect for any hissing or breaks in the exhaust piping.

Last edited:
Wow that is some great information, Yes it does have that hissing sound like you mentioned, what was your ball park repair cost if you can recall.

Wow that is some great information, Yes it does have that hissing sound like you mentioned, what was your ball park repair cost if you can recall.

not too bad ~ $75 including rubber coupling, some welding was required, all depends on where the break is.

Back