Euro roof rails...can we organize a group buy or something?

monsta

Contributor
:
06 5 Touring, 07 Sport
I'd like to get the Euro/Japanese-spec roof rails. It would be a cool mod for those of us in this little community. The Chevy Avalanche site I belong to has it's own mod (amber DRL's) and my Excursion forum has one as well (roof rack removal) I think it would be cool if we did something similar.

Euro-spec roof rails would be great!

So a couple of things, how many US/Canada folks would be interested in a set?

Who lives in a country that sells them and how would we organize a group buy?

Nobody?

I'd be willing to tackle question #2 if I knew that there were others who would want a set. :)

I had someone on this forum measure the mount points and they are, indeed, different. It breaks my heart, honestly - the car looks so much better with them.

I had someone on this forum measure the mount points and they are, indeed, different...

To me different means they can still work... If it is only the distance between the mount points that is different then we can probably get them to work.

Most rails I have ever seen are usually three pieces. The two end mounts and the rail. If the american mount points are shorter then we can likely shorten the EU rail to reduce the span between the mounts.

Do you remember what the spec were? I'm going back to the UK the week of September 22nd. I may pick up a set from a dealer there if it looks like something can be hacked.

Very different mounting points, far apart:

thumb-Mazda5.jpg

06_Mazda5_RoofRack.jpg

I'd be interested... Try checking for the mounting points.

I doubt that Mazda is creating special parts for NA when they can use what they have.

I'd like to get the Euro/Japanese-spec roof rails. It would be a cool mod for those of us in this little community. The Chevy Avalanche site I belong to has it's own mod (amber DRL's) and my Excursion forum has one as well (roof rack removal) I think it would be cool if we did something similar.

Euro-spec roof rails would be great!

So a couple of things, how many US/Canada folks would be interested in a set?

Who lives in a country that sells them and how would we organize a group buy?

Attachments

• WM_09_BODY-ACC.pdf
    33.9 KB · Views: 180
I'd be interested... Try checking for the mounting points.

I doubt that Mazda is creating special parts for NA when they can use what they have.

That's my point also. Figure the roof is the single largest piece of sheet metal on the car. Chances are zero that they have two different roof stamps.

But the moulding and pickups might be different. So it might be (most likely) a much bigger project than just importing the rails and mounts.

I'll watch this one from the sidelines and jump in to claim victory once you guys figure it out (butt)

I was looking through the maintenance manual... It looks like both mounting spots are under that roof molding. If I win the race to check, it will be a miracle. I am re-building a '65 Spitfire. (bow)

That's my point also. Figure the roof is the single largest piece of sheet metal on the car. Chances are zero that they have two different roof stamps.

But the moulding and pickups might be different. So it might be (most likely) a much bigger project than just importing the rails and mounts.

I'll watch this one from the sidelines and jump in to claim victory once you guys figure it out (butt)

Very different mounting points, far apart:

thumb-Mazda5.jpg

06_Mazda5_RoofRack.jpg

These pictures look deceiving. I'm looking the mount points on the US model in relation to the door seams. Then look at the EU version above. Looks to me the actual mount point is either VERY close or the same. The EU rails just have the aero extension on the ends of the rails that make it look like they are mounted further out.

Back