Engine randomly shuts off while driving

tiff6

:
2004 Mazda6 i
I have a 2004 Mazda6i, the 2.3L. Bought it brand new and currently has 217, 190 miles on it. I drive alot! LOL

Recently, sometimes while I'm driving down the road the engine just shuts itself off. There is no warning, no sputter, no over-heating. I'll Just be driving, like normal, and suddenly I feel I have no power steering and notice my car is not running. Turn the key and it starts right back up. The temp guage reads normal, so I assume this can not be related to the cooling system. It's not setting off any CEL codes. I am decelerating when this issue occurs.

First time it happened was about 6 weeks ago, 2nd time was about 2 weeks ago, and in the past few days it seems to be becoming more frequent. 3rd time it occurred was this past Thursday, then it happened twice today. I have asked a few of my mechanic friends about it, one of them thinks it could be related to the crank sensor , even though there is no CEL code to give us any clue.

He looked at the crank sensor and said it was not excessively dirty, as he suspected, but he did notice the adjustment is turned all the way in one direction. He is an import mechanic, and said that is not normal, from his experience.

A new crank sensor is cheap and it wouldn't be difficult to replace, but we are not certain this would fix whatever is causing my car to just randomly shut off.

Does anybody have any clue what could be the issue here? Please.

Last edited:
Took my car to the dealer Monday morning and we got the issue fixed. It stopped running twice within less than 10 minutes after I left to go to work. I had had enough and decided to have an expert check it out.

Turns out it was related to a vacuum hose connected to the aftermarket air intake. Apparently the sensor connected to this hose has been reading false info to the ECU for the past 2 years, since we installed the intake. The CEL had been on since that time, but now it is off and my car is running great!!!

Back