Engine Pinging - Bad Fuel?

bmacster

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
Recently I have noticed that my car has started to ping over the last two fill ups and I've been using Chevron 92 Octane. When I first got the car, I had no idea the MP3 was supposed to run Premium but was running 89 (stickers were gone.. and no manual, read up on here that its supposed)

It only happens about around mid-throttle, clears up near WOT. Is there something I should check out, try a different gas station, reset the ECU, etc? Air filter is new, not sure if the dealership changed the plugs/wires, etc.

Also, I am coming up on an oil change, no idea what the dealership I got the car from put in it (no sticker and they "lost" the record) so I am assuming its dino oil. Would be it alright to switch to Synth with 120k on the odo? If so, what do you all recommend?

Thanks!

dont know much about the pinging.....plugs? im at 100xxx and still run mobil 1 5-w30

Run some seafoam through your fuel system with your next fill up & then reset your ecu. And then never use any gas other than premium.

Run some seafoam through your fuel system with your next fill up & then reset your ecu. And then never use any gas other than premium.

Half or full can of it?

Is there an easy way of resetting the ECU on these cars?

Quick Update;

Its still pinging after running half of the sea foam in the tank and in the brake line. Only been running Chevron 92. Gas mileage did increase slightly after resetting the ECU (light normally comes on around 380 miles) I can only think of it now being the wrong spark plugs since the dealership only changed the spark plugs before I bought the car. Any suggestions on plugs and wires for this? I am also going to replace the fuel filter as a just in case... Is there anything else I should check? Vacuum lines, fuel lines, etc?

I also switched to Synth (Royal Purple 5W-30) and Redline MT-90 for the transmission.

The trans is still "clunky" after seeing in traffic for a while. I can only fathom that that could be the clutch line or something is out of adjustment.

All of the parts I ordered should be here this week, w00t!

Last edited:
Found the issue, the intake hose was cracked/torn on the bottom where it isn't visible. When I was in my frustrated and trying to figure out wth it was pinging so badly, I lifted slightly on the intake hose and the engine promptly died.

I've since replaced the hose and it runs like a dream once again!

Back