Engine Overheating after replacing ECT?

surfninjas

Contributor
:
03 mazda protege 5 automatic
just had the ect replaced, and the code cleared/CEL went off. after a drive around the block, i restarted the car and then the CEL came back on (flashing, later steady).

p0300 showed up again.

uncle used his scanner, and then the CEL was off.

drove about 16 miles on the freeway with AC on 2-3 with no problems. stopped at a few stores, and then

i notice the engine temp meter is rising slowly to the top. blast the heater and it drops and stays at roughly a little higher than half.

made it home; couldnt smell coolant and saw no smoke or steam (from hood or exhaust) when driving.

ive heard that coolant should be flushed when ect sensor is replaced...is that wrong?

i ask because the coolant was not flushed.

When I first got my MS3 after about a week, my car started rising in tempature and almost maxing out on Temp. Took it to the dealer and it had a bad coolant thermostat. Usually costs like 200-400 to fix, but mine was free

When I first got my MS3 after about a week, my car started rising in tempature and almost maxing out on Temp. Took it to the dealer and it had a bad coolant thermostat. Usually costs like 200-400 to fix, but mine was free

thermostat or coolant temp sensor?

Last edited:
I'd say thermostat. Just had this issue. Your lucky you didn't mess up the head gasket driving it hot...

just took it for a 3 mile drive; no problems at first, then i realized the AC would not would vary in coldness (never warm, just different degrees of cold). temp gauge rose a little; had to have it parked and rev it for temp to rise high.

hoping its the thermostat....just ******* returned it to NAPA today thinking i wouldnt need it...guess i will back there tomorrow.

do i have to remove the "air cleaner"?

not sure what the "ZM model" is...

*refers to instructions on the: floptical mazda pdf.

*after the instruction to remove 'fresh air duct'...also, is that necessary?

do i have to remove the "air cleaner"?

not sure what the "ZM model" is...

*refers to instructions on the: floptical mazda pdf.

*after the instruction to remove 'fresh air duct'...also, is that necessary?

You have the FS engine so look at that part of the service manual.

What exactly is the ect? Tried googling it for our cars but came up with nothing. If you put something for another motor on your car that's probly your problem

What exactly is the ect? Tried googling it for our cars but came up with nothing. If you put something for another motor on your car that's probly your problem

(engine) coolant temp sensor

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...k=Keyword&Nty=1&N=599001+102003+50042+2042052

51142.jpg

Mine was the coolant thermostat.. now my car runs perfectly fine.. even when im getting on it ive never seen my temp go above half

coolant temp sensor aka coolant thermostat aka engine coolant temperature sensor (ect sensor)...like how an expansion tank is aka a coolant overflow tank.

the thermostat goes into the radiator.

cant take it into dealer; not enough money.

although everything replaced so far needed to be replaced, and has cleared codes.

hopefully i can find how to remove the "fresh air duct", since instructions for replacing the thermostat look very easy....maybe ill take a pic of the ect sensor/coolant sensor.

all you need to replace it is like a 6" socket for 19mm.

P5 is not an ms3...

The only issue I've had with my protege that's seems common for all mazdas is the starter wire

Back