Engine Oil Rise

Hi Morsa, perhaps the posters from the uk should contact whatcar magazine as they seem to be interested in hearing from CX-5 owners who have had issues

I've only read of a couple on this forum from the UK with the oil rise problem.

The oil rising issue is not isolated to the odd vehicle here and there, it must be endemic with every CX-5 diesel because the ecu software shipped with the vehicles to end 2012 was all the same. They are trying to address the issue through modifying the engine management software which is only now available in Europe. This addresses only one of the issues regarding the overfuelling.... cold startup and acceleration fuelling differences.
Another issue remains which to reduce the frequency of the DPF regeneration. It currently regenerates approximately every 130 miles (somewhat dependent on driving profile). I've spoken with others in the industry and this is way too high.
Ask yourself why is this issue buzzed more widely in the media/web? Well Mazda global took ages to admit anything and really do not want to issue a recall but treat vehicles on an ad-hoc basis depending on how strongly the customer complains. Dealers rely on MazdaUK because there is little experience with this new model. Top all this off with most owners driving cars without checking oil levels (expecting to get to service interval) and only being alerted if/when a dashboard light come on. There aren't many owners aware! (my dealer told me that the biggest customer by far is the company car driver due to favourable emissions/tax...... do you think they care about checking oil levels or enthusiast forums?)

Hi soupafly, how do you know about the UK status? Did your dealer contact you, or Mazda direct, or did you have to ask?

No the dealer did not contact me. It was an excruciatingly painful experience and resulting in the onset of grey hairs!

The oil rising issue is not isolated to the odd vehicle here and there, it must be endemic with every CX-5 diesel because the ecu software shipped with the vehicles to end 2012 was all the same. They are trying to address the issue through modifying the engine management software which is only now available in Europe. This addresses only one of the issues regarding the overfuelling.... cold startup and acceleration fuelling differences.
Another issue remains which to reduce the frequency of the DPF regeneration. It currently regenerates approximately every 130 miles (somewhat dependent on driving profile). I've spoken with others in the industry and this is way too high.
Ask yourself why is this issue buzzed more widely in the media/web? Well Mazda global took ages to admit anything and really do not want to issue a recall but treat vehicles on an ad-hoc basis depending on how strongly the customer complains. Dealers rely on MazdaUK because there is little experience with this new model. Top all this off with most owners driving cars without checking oil levels (expecting to get to service interval) and only being alerted if/when a dashboard light come on. There aren't many owners aware! (my dealer told me that the biggest customer by far is the company car driver due to favourable emissions/tax...... do you think they care about checking oil levels or enthusiast forums?)

My dealer is aware of rising oil, but said he hasn't had one in for this yet. I have old dipstick which I couldn't accurately read (and i'm no dipstick - lol) my car was built in October any delivered in Jan, so I think I have a month or two before It's going to show up, if it is affected.

For me now it is not the diesel in the sump oil (less than 2mm) but the number of regens and the impact on dpf and engine longevity. I have a 4 yr warranty, have the sump oil tested every oil change for wear particles and diesel contamination. My philosophy is to hope for the best but plan for the worst. I broke my cardinal rule - never buy a first model - you end up beta testing it for the manufacturer. However I believed the Mazda hype and the salesperson's comments tha the Mazda diesel had fixed the issues suffered by other diesel cars.

A lot of US potential diesel customers are not even aware of issues with modern DPF-equipped clean diesels, they worry more about the extra 10% fuel price over regular gas.

Dad of John

My dealer is aware of rising oil, but said he hasn't had one in for this yet. I have old dipstick which I couldn't accurately read (and i'm no dipstick - lol) my car was built in October any delivered in Jan, so I think I have a month or two before It's going to show up, if it is affected.[

It may be the case that the power control module (PCM) was reprogrammed before you took ownership. Reading forums, speaking with diesel engineers, using info from Mazda, and applying logic led me to believe that the PCM reprogram of the firmware my CX5 was about reducing the amount of diesel injected during the active only regenerations. But they were a little longer in duration.

It worked. I had oil changes (up to the old x mark) at 2800, 4000 (Mazda engineer present) 7600 and the one at 8700 (my early 10k service) so I could drive the car a distance without being stranded in the middle of Australia because of the need of an oil change. At 1100 ks the reprogram was done - and the oil was again creeping up to the x mark. What annoyed me at the time was some marketing numpty had said it was because of short trips by CX5 owners. My oil grew on a long trip of 1200ks. In addition I always ensure and still ensure that I keep driving if a regen starts until it finishes.

However regens are occurring around 259ks and while doing a recent trip of 2700ks a regen occurred at 150ks.
So the reprogram was done at 11500 kilometres and within a couple of days I embarked on a trip of 2700ks. The oil grew around 2 millimetres but measuring it was problematic. So it worked.

The issue now is the frequency of regens. Will the DPF longevity be limited? I think another reprogram will occur later in the year to address the frequency of regens.

Other than me beta-testing the CX5 the car is a brilliant car.

I've read lots of posts from diesel owners with no rising oil levels, including the one on long term test with whatcar.

I think like soupafly that there are many many with the issue but do not know it. Also there are a great number without the problem. Why?. This is a mistery the use of the car is very variable.
FYI, the last six figures of the car's serial number are the consecutive build number. The number 150640 delivered on January 23th has the "B" dipstick and probably the new ECU from factory.

A friendly Hello from Germany,

I am also suffering with the oil rise ( my car) . I detected round about 9 % of 219 CX-5 Diesel with this problem.
We can not detect an explicit relation to short distance trips !
Mazda Germany is still not communicating any problem and therefore not announcing a solution for that.

Please summarize the Mazda activities, mainly in Europe:
Is there any feedback if the clipstick is already changed at service from version A to B and in which country? It seems in Germany every new CX-5 is getting it.
Is there any experience for the SW update which was called to save the oil rise problem ? In which coutry it is made and since when ?
Is there any Mazda statement how to avoid oil rising by a detailled description of driving conditions? ( not only "not feasable for short distance")

I guess low RPM is also impacting the problem by low temperatures. My automatic gearbox is moving the car in town and outside at 1500 - 1800 RPM.

Thanks for a global information exchange.

I've read lots of posts from diesel owners with no rising oil levels, including the one on long term test with whatcar.

800 miles and I finally managed a proper reading - half way between full and X. I'm on old dipstick so will check again in a few weeks.

A friendly Hello from Germany,

I am also suffering with the oil rise ( my car) . I detected round about 9 % of 219 CX-5 Diesel with this problem.
We can not detect an explicit relation to short distance trips !
Mazda Germany is still not communicating any problem and therefore not announcing a solution for that.

Please summarize the Mazda activities, mainly in Europe:
Is there any feedback if the clipstick is already changed at service from version A to B and in which country? It seems in Germany every new CX-5 is getting it.
Is there any experience for the SW update which was called to save the oil rise problem ? In which coutry it is made and since when ?
Is there any Mazda statement how to avoid oil rising by a detailled description of driving conditions? ( not only "not feasable for short distance")

I guess low RPM is also impacting the problem by low temperatures. My automatic gearbox is moving the car in town and outside at 1500 - 1800 RPM.

Thanks for a global information exchange.

Hi q50_treiber. Here an "Experten" in oil rise issue (in my car and others too (cheers2).
I have followed you in your german forum and quoted and linked some of your very intesting post, but it is difficult to read in german. (google translate help a bit).

Here you have some data, in my spanish forum, which may interest you:
http://www.clubmazdacx5.com/temas/cambios-de-aceite-por-subida-de-nivel.667/
As you can see 5 members have already "suffered" the ECU update, after oil change and one, next post, without it.

Up the moment it looks that the results are good but it is still soon to confirm.

Also we have severals fellows who have received the car in January and were fitted with the "B" dipstick and looks the oil is ok, not raising, but again is a little soon too. VIN number after 150640 are reporting all "B" stick.

We have reports of one dealer who have ordered a dipstick model "C" for a guy, it is arriving next week...we are eager to see it.

In my case, I live in France, I was fitted with the "B" stick on Januery 8th but still no reflash of ECU, I got a letter from Mazda France saying that I will be called very soon.

I asked to Mazda same questions as you. They said nothing interesting, only that the car don't do "pasive" regens, only active and there is nothing that the driver can do to improve the performance of them.

I expect this info serves, thanks for you good work too, in your forum.

Thanks Morsa,

interesting information that Spain and France are "officially" on the way of ECU updates.
Are clipsticks also changed ? In Germany I heart just from 1.
At least since 1st february new cars are fitted with type B.

One new car got a "X" after just 1700 km.
My one raised the oil by 8 mm for 700km after last oil change and SW Update (31.01.2013). This Update seems to be not the final one.

Are you able to calculate a rate of fuel raise ? Beside the forum I have a similar list of cars, now 20, with oil problem. Out of 212 CX-5 Diesel.

Thanks again
let us keep in contact

Yes, the cars who are getting the upgrade are being fitted with dipstick "B" too. I can't tell you the % of CX-5 hit by the issue as we don't keep statistics but 25 of the forums looks a lot.
The attitude of Mazda Spain and Mazda France are similar to MMD, they deny openly any problem but in privates letters they acknowledge the actions to solve it. I'll inform this forum of any progress.
Regards.

800 miles and I finally managed a proper reading - half way between full and X. I'm on old dipstick so will check again in a few weeks.

The dip stick on the xtrail is very difficult to read, recently my local garage showed me good tip.
Remove the dip stick, clean it with a rag, then spray the stick with degreaser, brake cleaner will do, insert dip stick and withdraw, this then gives a nice clear level.

From what i've read then its around 10% that are affected?

Dad am i reading your post correctly, the level is above the full mark?

The dip stick on the xtrail is very difficult to read, recently my local garage showed me good tip.
Remove the dip stick, clean it with a rag, then spray the stick with degreaser, brake cleaner will do, insert dip stick and withdraw, this then gives a nice clear level.

From what I've read then its around 10% that are affected?

Dad am i reading your post correctly, the level is above the full mark?

Yes it is but it's when it's at the X is when you need to panic, or rather it was if you have the old dipstick as the new dipstick puts the X further away from the full (upper dipstick hole) mark.

Latest posts

Back