Engine noise "ticking" at idle

jargoude

:
2010 CX9 Grand Touring AWD
New to Mazda, but noticed on my 2010 CX-9GT that when I am idling I hear a "ticking"sound. Is this normal? I know all engines make some noise, but never had any of my vehicles make a definitive ticking sound. Didn't know if I should take in for service? Any help is appreciated.

My first guess would be "sticky valves". Try a bottle of gas treatment to see if
that help a little. If yes, keep doing it on every tanks for a few.

But, then, there could be many different kind of noises.
It is very hard to help over internet.

Last edited:
New to Mazda, but noticed on my 2010 CX-9GT that when I am idling I hear a "ticking"sound. Is this normal? I know all engines make some noise, but never had any of my vehicles make a definitive ticking sound. Didn't know if I should take in for service? Any help is appreciated.

My new 2010 also has a noticeable ticking sound at idle. It seems to quiet down once the car is warmed up, but I can still hear it even then.

Would a new 2010 with less then 2000 miles on it have "sticky" valves on it? The ticking is constant no matter what the temp is outside as well as the engine. Maybe I should take a trip to the dealer. I just didn't want to waste my time if this was a common noise to Mazda's and I was being paranoid. Thanks for the input.

Would a new 2010 with less then 2000 miles on it have "sticky" valves on it? The ticking is constant no matter what the temp is outside as well as the engine. Maybe I should take a trip to the dealer. I just didn't want to waste my time if this was a common noise to Mazda's and I was being paranoid. Thanks for the input.

From what I have been reading on the internet regarding this family of Ford engines (Duratec), the ticking noise at idle seems to be a common problem on many of these vehicles although some owners say they don't have the noise (go figure). Please let me know if you take to the dealer... I'm interested in hearing what they say about the noise. Thanks

I actually checked the oil yesterday to see the level and all was fine... I did notice that after driving the car around pretty much most of the day that the ticking noise went away completely... It sounded very smooth as a matter of fact. But once again upon turning the vehicle on again this monring, it had the same ticking noise at idle and then went away after I checked when I got to my destination and put the car in Park. It seems to be just an issue when the engine is cold for mine... No matter what the temperature is outside (warm or cold). My car only has 400 miles also.... Maybe as time goes by, it will just start going away. I'm also thinking of running some Shell 89 octane gas instead of 87 to see what happens.

Thanks everyone. I will take it to the dealer when I have some free time and provide an update after they check it out.

Ticking noise: I hear the ticking noise only when the is not warmed up. I did speak to the dealer and was told that the noise is normal and some are louder then others. It's coming for the value lifters. You can also, get the ticking noise, from the fuel injectors. To check where the noise is coming from, you would need a long screwdriver. Take the tip of the screwdriver and place it on the fuel line to the injector, the other to you ear. If you hear ticking, then it's your fuel injectors and that it normal. (engine must be on)lolol..... If not, take the screwdriver to the value cover and your ear, and if you hear ticking, it's you lifter. (That is also normal, if you are no burning oil.)
The best thing you can do is to take it to your dealer and have them check if out. If they say, it's normal and have then, state it on your service receipt, and records. (drunk)

I've a 2008 AWD cx-9GT, bought it new and it did the same. Ticking at idle and typically when it's cold. I took it to 2 different dealers in the Los Angeles area, and both said that it was normal. Not comforting, but I'm almost at 60k with no problems, and the ticking is still there.

From experience with the Ford Duratec ( I have an 03 Mazda 6 V6) the noise is normal. It is the lifters on the engine. It something I gotten used to over time. And once I started driving our CX-9, I noticed the same thing.

I have heard people classify this noise as "piston slap"...I had this same noise on an older Grand Am I had a while back...only happened in the morning but gradually went away as it warmed up. I don't think there should be any worry IMO

I found all your comments helpful. I also will have to get used to the "Ticking Sound" on my 2010 CX-9.
I was used to my old Toyota Sienna Van which was always quiet.
Is the CX-9 motor found in Ford vehicles?

I don't hear it inside the car. Yes it seems to be worse when the vehicle is cold.

It is a similar type of noise that i used to hear on my uncles subaru years ago. I was wondering if that was normal of japanese vehicles as i have heard that on several different makes of japanese cars. The same thing happens with my cx9 when i first warm it up but then gradually goes away once the needle on the tach hits 1000 rpm or less.

I have the same ticking noise. It really concerned me at first because my '98 Grand Voyager used to start ticking when it burned up about a half a quart of oil. 12,000 miles on my 2010 CX-9 T and the ticking has been pretty consistant (of course checked the oil and it's fine) at start up. Plan to mention it to the dealer at next service, however this thread is convincing me it's probably normal(ish!) for this engine. Thanks for bringing it up.

I thought the ticking sound comes from variable valve timing...
It gets much better when engine is warmed up.

Yeah the ticking is normal. I hear it on my Mz6 sGT as well as the CX-9; both of which feature the 3.7 liter V6. As Ceric points out it goes away after the engine warms up.

Back