Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs CX-5

NinjaNoises

:
CX-5 Sport MT
Apparently, Eibach already already has the Pro-Kit lowering springs released for the CX-5 in the UK. I am a fan Eibach, since I had a set of Eibach Pro-kit installed in my previous car and loved the look and the ride was not too firm. H&R kit lowers a bit too much for me.

I wonder when they will bring this kit to the US, and if it will be a direct fit.

Eibach has two main lines of lowering springs, Pro-Kit and Sportline. Pro-Kit tends to have more moderate lowering height, up to 1.5 inch. Sportline lowers to 2 or 2.5 inches, like the H&R kit currently available for CX-5.

This is the link that I came across online to suggest UK availability:

http://eibach.lowering-springs.com/Mazda-CX_5.jsp
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

$(KGrHqJ,!noE-z)J)NILBP3K(Mc)1!~~60_1.JPG

Currently something seems to be wrong with Eibach-US website when looking-up applications. But I would expect this to become avaialbe in the US for CX-5's in the near future. I would expect Pro-kit only, typical of what they offer for more lux-oriented vehicles.

I agree, Eibach's progressive spring offerings cause less deterioration in ride quality than H&R (significantly lower) as noted with Lexus IS series applications.

Interesting; I called Eibach US recently and they knew nothing about springs for CX-5. BTW, the H&R sport springs being sold here only lower the car 1.25" front and 1.75" rear.

Why would that be?

In the case of Lexus IS350's:

. Progressive spring rates, so soft initial spring rates and firm final rate versus single firm rate.

. Moderate lowering of 1.0" front, 0.8" rear versus 1.5" or so.

If I'm reading this correctly, http://eibach.lowering-springs.com/...ro-Kit-E10-55-014-01-22_16452_52_446_2396.jsp, the Eibachs only lower the car 25mm, or about an inch front and rear. That would seem hardly worth the effort on a vehicle this jacked up and would be more the equivenent of H&R OE Sport Springs (.25"-.75" drop). BTW, all of these springs appear to be progressive wound.

I agree. 1" is good for a sedan, but an suv needs a little more. I think H&R really nailed it.

If I'm reading this correctly, http://eibach.lowering-springs.com/...ro-Kit-E10-55-014-01-22_16452_52_446_2396.jsp, the Eibachs only lower the car 25mm, or about an inch front and rear. That would seem hardly worth the effort on a vehicle this jacked up and would be more the equivenent of H&R OE Sport Springs (.25"-.75" drop). BTW, all of these springs appear to be progressive wound.

I can't argue with the overall appearance the H&R springs gives to the CX-5. But for me, it's about compromises and finding a happy medium in the aspects of style, comfort and cost.

For style, lower looks better. Hands down. However as the spring travel is decreased, the spring rate has to go up to prevent bottoming out of the suspension assembly. That means in a properly designed lowering spring, the lower you go, the harsher the overall ride will be. Comfort will be sacrificed to a certain extent. This is why cutting springs is bad practice, as bottoming and spring rates are not considered in spring cutting.

On the aspect of cost, the difference in price of the spring is minimal. However as the other suspension components on the car is designed to work with the stock spring rate and height. The lower you go, the more stress is placed on the stock struts/shocks. They will have to be replaced sooner. Suspension geometry is also designed for stock height. The more that the ride height is lowered, we may have uneven tire wear due to effects to toe and camber and may have adverse effect on handling performance as well.

It's all about compromise.

That said, I am still considering lower the CX-5 as I have for my previous cars. The question is how much to lower, and where that happy medium is for you.

All of that makes perfect sense. That's why I'm biding my time til there's some forum feedback on how the ride quality is long-term on the H&Rs and how successful post-lowering alignments are. Personally, I feel that the ride of the stock setup over poorly paved city streets is a bit on the stiff side, which makes me a bit leery about putting shorter springs on. They sure do put the body down where (IMHO) it should be though and (as an added bonus) make it possible to reach the center of the roof when washing the car!

I had Eibach Sportlines on my previous rice rocket. I would not do that to my CX5 as the wife would kill me. Pro-kit would be preferred if I were only considering Eibach; but as others have pointed out, the H&R set seems to be right on the money for a conservative but noticeable drop.

I've used both Eibach for BMW and H&R race for the track car, you cannot go wrong with these 2 brands, they have been in the susp. bus for a long time. Also some brands actually use Eibach but tag their own name. Eibach coil over spring for Miata and Civic are well known and used.

so between prokit and H&R sport both should be very similar.

Back