Earthing Kits

MadBiker

Luv my MP5!
:
2002 Protege5
Hello Everybody,

I've just joined Protege.com, hope I can contribute useful info.

It seems that what's called "earthing" is very popular in Japan - here's a sample page that I found that shows you what to do (japanese only):

http://www.dragoncity.ne.jp/~touhei/earthing/

The idea is to take some high-grade wire and to give the battery a better and even ground to improve the sparks from your plugs, revitalize dulling headlamps and give your stereo more oomph.

It supposedly improves low-end torque, fuel economy and gives you a smoother running engine.

Favorite earthing points include:
Cylinder head
Engine block
Intake manifold
Fuel Injector
Alternator
Body (which comes earthed already usually)

The thing is I can't find a single thing about it in the English speaking world.

Has anybody tried Earthing? Does anybody even know about it? If so, please let me know and maybe we can get a project going.

BTW, I live in NJ, aka Armpits of USA.

In the English speaking world, earthing is simply what you described. "Grounding" is what we would call it. Every car could stand to have better grounds. In the rest of the world, the negative terminal on the battery is called "earth". Ever see how many ground wires there are on a fiberglass tub street rod?? Have fun "earthing" and, by the way, I'm from this toilet called NJ, too. You are not alone.

Do a search, and you will find all you want to know. Basicaly I believe most people thinks it a load of crap, considering the numbers that the company clain. There was a big thread on it, don't remeber the title though.

Hey everybody! Thanks a lot for the response. Appreciate it. I'll check out that other thread.

Promp3, where'd you get your Sun ground wires?

i installed my sun-auto system last week. then i had surgery and haven't driven my car so can't tell you if it made a difference. it looks cool though and makes perfect sense so hopefully it wasn't a waste of $95

I like living in the armpits of the USA....Better than tipping cows and sitting in cornfields of Oaklahoma or something....(No offense to anyone living in Oaklahoma).

Where I live I got NYC 2.5 hours away, Atlantic City 45 minutes, any other given beach 45 minutes, Philadelphia only 15 minutes...Baltimore/Chesapeake Bay 2 hours...Skiing in the Pocono Mts of PA, 3 hours....Perfectly centralized for almost anything....

MadBiker, Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to our Club. There are TWO BIG fridge'S in the corner with anything you can think of in them...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. (stash)

make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!! (stash)

Sir Nuke, thanks for the welcome
jsgolfer, Is that a pic of Che Gueverra?
ProMP3, thanks, I checked out that site.
cmack98, yeah NJ's alright but around the GWB, Lincoln Tunnel and Holland it's a stinker. Hey, we got cows too...

This whole thing started 'cuz a friend of mine from Japan suggested "earthing" and said it makes a huge difference in low-end torque but I couldn't believe it'd make a big difference. It seems it does.

I'd like to see some real numbers. I wouldn't believe this actually makes a significant difference in power. Are they selling the idea that you get a better spark? Even in cars that benefit greatly from aftermarket spark control units, they don't make much power...just help cold starts, fuel economy, and maybe a couple of hp here and there.

All those nice wires do look cool, though!

That's the thing. My friend says that you can really feel the difference in the low-end - smoother, not as much need to step on the accelerator, and better fuel economy. I don't think there's any huge boost in power, but it's a little thing that one can feel when they're driving...

If you do a search for "earthing" in katakana on yahoo.co.jp, there's many pages by individuals over there in Japan that discuss the difference that they can feel, but nothing quantifiable.

Some of the guys have done some informal measurements in fuel economy improvement and there seems to be a big improvement there, assuming that they continue to drive as they always did before they did their ghetto rig "earthing."

some even have tried giving a direct ground to their spark plugs! They've definitely got too much time on their hands...

I thought Gary, IN was THE armpit of the USA? Don't mean to offend anyone from there, but its just what I heard ;).

Chris

it does make a diffrence!!! I couldnt believ it ether but it works like it says it does! basicly everything electracal gets better power and that means a better spark I have 9.0mm wires and denso ik20 plugs and it is so smooth even with the eurothane its hard to tell when its running! I would say its a good investment btw i got the silver ones and my radio is no longer picking up my ignition.......its magic.

hey promp3,
what is the product number on that K&N gold filter??
i went to my local autozone and they said that they didnt know the prod. number

thanks in advance

I don't think that the grounding kits are a complete load of crap, but I also don't think hte gains are worth what you would pay for a kit. I guess if you have done every mod that is able to be done to your car, and you are pretty much just bored and want to do something else, it could be worth it. But I don't know of anyone that has every mod under the sun to their car. So in other words, it's not worth the money.

ProMP3 has me sold. So this is what I'm gonna do:

On my '98 626 with 93,000 miles (U.S.) on it, get some battery ground cables and setup a ghetto rig - with mebbe 2 or 3 ground points. If it works like a charm, then I'll get the Sun Hyper Ground system for my P5 for the looks and function.

I'll keep y'all posted...

I tried this on my 02 DX Pro just to get rid of that annoying surge at night when the A/C comp. cycles on and off. My headlights and dash lights would noticeably dim when the A/C cycled. I just used some good quality 4 guage wire from the local stereo shop and some gold plated audio ring terminals. Soldered the terminals on with silver-bearing solder and daisy chained them from the neg. terminal to the body, eng. block, etc. No more prob., and my electronics are all noticeably improved. (Lights brighter, stereo sounds better, etc.) Not to mention your alternator and battery will thank you!

SpeedFreak, way to go! I was going to try to rig it on my 626 first but the cylinder head/engine block cracked on me exactly @ 94,000 miles. Sombody forgot to change my thermostat at the same time as my timing belt. Real bummer...

I think I'll go ahead and get the hyper ground thingy and do what ProMP3 did. ProMP3, Thanks for your PM!

Back