stations that now are selling E85 in the area, and are impressed with the

resluts with running it. Basiclly you have to increase your fuel intake by at

least 30%, if you have a Walbro 255HP pump like i do then all you would have

to do is have a slight increase of say 15-20% in fuel. The real advantage of

running E85 is the octane rating of 105 compared to pump gas. I am

optomistic about trying it becuse i was running a Walbro with WRX injectors

with 93 and a stock ECU so running E85 shouldnt be a problem at all. The

Subaru guys have been running this stuff for a while now. Is anyone here

fimilar or is using E85 in a vehicle other than a FFV?

Well i have been running E85 for 2 days now and i can say that the car runs a

bit smoother than before and is getting less MPG. I have my boost controller

on so i will be turning up the boost to about 10-12 psi, kinda

excited/nervous/scared all at the same time.

Interesting read - let us know your results...

are you getting any increased (felt) power at all running E85?

and E85 will net less mpg unfortunately. Even on vehicles running E85 they get better gas mileage running pump gas (IE chevy flex fuel vehicles)

Yeah, ethanol just doesn't have the same amount of energy potential.

I still would be way weary of running E85 in a car that isn't flex-fuel.. you're risking eating through all your fuel lines unless you've replaced them all with hardlines and braided steel and such.

Kansei said:
Yeah, ethanol just doesn't have the same amount of energy potential.

I still would be way weary of running E85 in a car that isn't flex-fuel.. you're risking eating through all your fuel lines unless you've replaced them all with hardlines and braided steel and such.

Actually ethanol increases HP by 5% in FFV's, the increase in HP is a result in

the added fuel which lowers cylinder temps. I should be allright with all the

plastic fuel lines and tank though.

STOP

E85 will RUIN your motor
. There is a reason only FFV vehicles should run E85. It will ruin your rubber based seals. E85 is made up of corn alcohols that will EAT AWAY most rubber based seals and rubber based fuel lines.

Can I use E85 in any vehicle?
No. E85 is for use in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs).

Will my gas mileage be the same with E85 as with regular gasoline?
Unfortunately, no. You'll lose about 20% of your advertised MPG.

Last edited:
From e85safety.com:

A mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gas, E85 ethanol, should not be consumed by any vehicle unless it is designated at the manufacturer as a "flex-fuel" vehicle. If you use E85 in a strictly gasoline car, not just a vintage collectible car, it may damage it beyond repair. E85 ethanol in a vehicle that is not made for e85 can cause major corrosion through out the entire fuel system, crack seals and hoses and it can remove lubrication off the engine's cylinders. Also, both the E85 ethanol and widely available E10 ethanol will move old sludge buildup, varnish and other dirts from the fuel tank. As soon as these are within the fuel, it will cause fuel line and filter clogging as well as prohibit fuel injectors and carburetor jets from spraying correctly.

Despite its higher octane number, e85 ethanol has less energy then gasoline per gallon. In the industry, it has become a well-known fact that E85 in a "flex-fuel" vehicle capable of using gasoline. E85, will provide less miles per gallon compared to gasoline (Ethanol industry generally estimates it to be about a 30% drop).

UM WTF! dude, dude seriously if E10 damages my car I'm screwed.. all the gas here is E10-E15, not even just the winter blend crap.

E10 is OK for ANY car. It has been tested. It doesn't contain enough alcohol or additives to do serious damage.

I'm ONLY talking about E85.

hmm, I was goin off this that you posted "Also, both the E85 ethanol and widely available E10 ethanol will move old sludge buildup, varnish and other dirts from the fuel tank. As soon as these are within the fuel, it will cause fuel line and filter clogging as well as prohibit fuel injectors and carburetor jets from spraying correctly."

You'll be OK, E10 is safe and all major car manufacturers have verified this.

E10 after a prolonged period *MAY* have those problems. E85 in a car not fuel flexible will see problems within 5 fillups as the alcohol eats the seals away.

s6m1l88 said:
STOP

E85 will RUIN your motor
. There is a reason only FFV vehicles should run E85. It will ruin your rubber based seals. E85 is made up of corn alcohols that will EAT AWAY most rubber based seals and rubber based fuel lines.

Can I use E85 in any vehicle?
No. E85 is for use in flexible fuel vehicles (FFVs).

Will my gas mileage be the same with E85 as with regular gasoline?
Unfortunately, no. You'll lose about 20% of your advertised MPG.

Our fuel system is mostly plastic, not rubber. The only thing I would be

worried about is the o-rings on the injectors, and if those break i will notice

it pretty quick.

UPDATE:

I have been running the E85 for about 175 miles now and the Long Term fuel

trim is at +5%, the ECU is not having any trouble controlling the fuel. My

fuel setup is a Walbro 255HP, stock rail and FPR, and WRX 440's.

of course its going to be fine! e85 is just more ethanol than normal gasoline. you don't need a special pump, you don't need a special rail, you don't need special injectors.

you will kill your engine seals.

What I'm saying is that 10% ethanol doesn't contain enough alcohol to do lasting damage.

A FFV car has different seals.

But hey, whatever, you'll learn the hard way.

You'll get 5-7 less MPG every tank and you'll ruin your motor eventually.
Do the math- the savings from e85 isn't worth it.

you need to learn a bit more about e85.

Did you even read what I quoted from an e85 loving source?

A mixture of 85% ethanol and 15% gas, E85 ethanol, should not be consumed by any vehicle unless it is designated at the manufacturer as a "flex-fuel" vehicle. If you use E85 in a strictly gasoline car, not just a vintage collectible car, it may damage it beyond repair. E85 ethanol in a vehicle that is not made for e85 can cause major corrosion through out the entire fuel system, crack seals and hoses and it can remove lubrication off the engine's cylinders. Also, both the E85 ethanol and widely available E10 ethanol will move old sludge buildup, varnish and other dirts from the fuel tank. As soon as these are within the fuel, it will cause fuel line and filter clogging as well as prohibit fuel injectors and carburetor jets from spraying correctly.

Despite its higher octane number, e85 ethanol has less energy then gasoline per gallon. In the industry, it has become a well-known fact that E85 in a "flex-fuel" vehicle capable of using gasoline. E85, will provide less miles per gallon compared to gasoline (Ethanol industry generally estimates it to be about a 30% drop).

Are you part of a Big Oil company, becuase you are bashing E85 like you are?

How will it "ruin" my motor? If you are talking about the ringlands, the 15%

gas provides enough lubrication. And yes it will give you less MPG mainly

BECUASE YOU HAVE TO SUPPLY 30% MORE FUEL.

s6m1l88 said:
Despite its higher octane number, e85 ethanol has less energy then gasoline per gallon.

This was taken from Wikipedia Encyclopedia. If it produces less energy than

gas why is every Motorsport making the switch?

"E85 has been repeatedly shown to produce more power than a comparable gasoline fuel, especially in engines that need high octane fuels to avoid early detonation.[3] Ford Motor Company found that power typically increased approximately 5% with the switch to E85 [4]. Researchers working on the equivalent of E85 fuel for general aviation aircraft AGE-85 have seen the same results with an aircraft engine jumping from 600 hp on conventional 100LL AV gas to 650 hp on the AGE-85. Recorded power increases range from 5% to 9% depending on the engine. [5][6]
Due to pressure to remove leaded fuel even from racing environments, several racing organizations are looking at ethanol or E85 fuels as suitable alternative fuels for high performance race engines.
In 2007, the Swedish Touring Car Championship, STCC, will have cars running on E85.
In Swedish rallying, as of 2006, approx. 30% of competitors were running their rally cars on E85. There is also a rally cup (Ford Flexifuel Cup) using Ford Fiestas in Gr. N, which started in 2006.
In 2006, the National Street Car Association is adopting E85 as an approved fuel for both their American Muscle Car and Street Machine (racing class) eliminator racing classes.
The National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) currently allows ethanol as an approved fuel in several of its racing classes. NHRA approved ethanol is allowed in their bracket classes, Hotrod, Modified, ProFWD, and ProRWD classes to name some of the more popular. At this time NHRA has not announced any plans to include E85 as an approved fuel in the classes that are currently limited to "pump fuels".
The Indy Racing League is likewise moving to ethanol based fuels in 2006, with 10% ethanol 90% methanol fuel blend, and switching to a 100% ethanol fuel in the 2007 racing season.
General Motors Performance Division's GM Student Cobalt driven by Mark Dickens went 172.680 mph at Bonneville Speed Weeks August 2006, setting a new record for G/FCC class on E85 fuel. This run broke a 19-year-old record of 152.626 mph set by Doc Jeffries in 1987. [7]
There is much discussion of NASCAR also making the switch to an ethanol based fuel in the future. During selected 2006 Craftsman Truck Series races, the Chevrolet Silverado pace truck, such as the one in the GM Flex-Fuel 250, will be fueled by E85, and a marketing campaign with Morgan-Dollar Motorsports resulted in one of their trucks' numbers changed to #85 to promote E85 fuel such as the one used in the pace truck.
In 2006, Shell announced V8 Supercar will use Shell Optimax Extreme, a premium unleaded fuel blended with five percent ethanol.
Interest in E85 is high enough that there are now competitions for engine builders to develop winning combinations for both power and fuel economy on this fuel. One such competition is sponsored by the AERA Engine Builders Association."

i'm done trying to help you save your motor.

if every car could use e85, don't you think ethanol companies would advertise it like that!?

let us know when your motor starts on the down and out.

you motor was NOT built for e85 consumption.

better yet, call Mazda USA and see what they say to you when you tell them you've been using E85.

Ya man, I work for Chevy. We have vehicles specifically designed for E85. There is a difference, and you're gonan **** up your car. Have you even looked at your fuel system at all? I've replaced all my soft lines with braided stainless, so I know. The seals and that (even the rubber hoses themselves) will be eaten by the ethanol. Why run it? It's harmfull, you lose fuel economy, and it's gonna cause a s*** ton of damage.

But hey, you know it all... All those motorsports cars are designed to run ethanol. They've taken the required steps to make sure it's compatible. And as for having to add "30% more fuel" what kind of EMS are you running?

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH thats all i am hearing from u guys. And Maxx what

happened to your motor?, Oh thats right it blew the **** up. If you have to

know i am running e-manage with WRX 440's. I will definetly let you guys

know what happens good or bad, then you can go on with "I told you so" if

something goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back