DSC OFF = what exactly?

hyperpm

:
08.5 CPW MS3 Sport
When I dynoed my car, DSC was off and got good numbers. Does having DSC on or off have any effects on boost or mapping from a performance point of view or is it strictly traction control? Thanks!

DSC is actually the next level of traction control. Traction control is purely wheelspin. DSC is a more complex system that attempts to save you from flying off twisty roads, etc., deals more with lateral control. Turning off DSC alone does not disable traction control. There's a way to do that, though, and I hope your dyno run was done with traction control totally disabled, because traction control on many cars can rob some power, especially on aggressive starts.

I'm still new to the MS3, but if I recall, the method for disabling traction control on the MS3 involves holding down the DSC button before you turn the key to the ON position & then keeping it pressed for a certain interval of time or something like that. I'm just too lazy to do the search for you. ;-)

At any rate, traction control & DSC do not directly affect the ECU tune, boost, etc. But they can rob power by applying brake pressure or reducing throttle input, etc. under hard driving.

Pressing the DSC button does in fact disable the TC, no need for any special voodoo tricks. Trust me I know this to be true!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3m24bjkfg0&feature=related

btw...regardless of wether you turn it on or off your system isn't going to matter on a dyno run. the parameters are probably gonna be so far off whack that your dsc and tcs, and even abs won't be doing much anyway. this is cuz your front wheels are spinning and your back wheels are still, and your car isn't moving at all. im pretty sure this forces the computer to assume something is wrong in the system and thus prevents normal operation

i dyno'd mine and forgot to turn of dsc and still got good numbers

Doesn't the Mazdaspeed3 have lower boost through 1st and 2nd gear? I thought that turning off the DSC/TC gave you full boost in 1st and 2nd gear. Were you dynoing in 2nd gear or something?

By pressing the DSC/TC button once, you're only disabling Traction Control. (EVEN THOUGH it says "DSC Off").

Trust me on that, all winter long I could slip the tires as much as I needed to, to get rolling from a stop in the snow. The "slippery swerving icon" would not glow once. However, if I jerked the wheel trying to make the car step out of line, DSC would straighten the car back out.

By pressing DSC OFF while turning on the car, it will completely disable Traction Control AND Dynamic Stability Control and that is confirmed by the "DSC Off" light and the "slippery swerving icon".

Doesn't the Mazdaspeed3 have lower boost through 1st and 2nd gear? I thought that turning off the DSC/TC gave you full boost in 1st and 2nd gear. Were you dynoing in 2nd gear or something?

Negative, this has been proven to be incorrect.

Well, glad that was cleared up. Guess if I had a boost gauge I'd know. lol

By pressing the DSC/TC button once, you're only disabling Traction Control. (EVEN THOUGH it says "DSC Off").

Trust me on that, all winter long I could slip the tires as much as I needed to, to get rolling from a stop in the snow. The "slippery swerving icon" would not glow once. However, if I jerked the wheel trying to make the car step out of line, DSC would straighten the car back out.

By pressing DSC OFF while turning on the car, it will completely disable Traction Control AND Dynamic Stability Control and that is confirmed by the "DSC Off" light and the "slippery swerving icon".

+1

It is my understanding that reduced torque is based on gear selection AND steering angle...as long as the front wheel is straight, no power reduction whatsoever regardless of the gear...

If you press/hold the DSC button for 3 seconds before and while you start the car the boost cut in 1st and 2nd gear is disabled. Both the "DSC off" and Traction control light should be on if you did it right...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Based on info above, boost or mapping doesn't change at all with DSC on or off in any gear. Correct?

it doesnt even matter if you hold the DSC OFF button while you turn the car on. As long as you press it once before the start up lights in the dash turn off, then you will have succeeded.

There are 2 stages to the DSC OFF function.

You press the DSC off button while the car is running. The DSC OFF light turns on in your dash, but the slippery car icon is not turned on.

traction control is now disables. vehicle dynamic control is still on

This lets you play a little bit, but helps you if things go south.

You either:
a) press & hold the DSC OFF button while turning the car on
b) press the DSC OFF button before the "start up lights" in the dash turn off.

You will notice both the DSC OFF AND the Slippery Car icon will be illuminated.

This indicated both vehicle control systems have been disabled. Please don't wreck your $20,000 car.

It's really not that hard people...

I experienced the DSC in action the other day. I was on an unfamiliar road going faster than I should, when I went over a hill and the road dipped and went hard left, I was going too fast and the road was not banked, I hit the brakes and steered hard to stay on the road when all of a sudden the car took over and the brakes modulated under my foot, the car shuttered as if the antilock brakes had engaged and I stayed on the road. scared the hell out of me and I would have almost certainly left the road had the DSC been off. I have read that alot of members turn off the "Nanny", as they call it, as soon as they get in the car. You never know what might happen when you are out driving so as for me, the "Nanny" is welcome.

Back