Driving Technique Discussion

It seems like some people are thinking that shuffle steering requires you to let go of the wheel, when in fact it is intended to be a way for you to never have to really let go. One hand stays gripped while the other slides across the wheel in an effort to stay at 10 and 2 (or 9and 3).

Yep. Again, if you watch the video, that's what I do in the longer corners requiring more steering input

Khaosman...you got 30 runs? That is awesome.

I agree w/ khaosman. I did an evo-school this year, and had a very similar experience. And am a decent bit faster for it. And yeah, between my runs and the instructor runs, we put 30 runs easy on the car. Plus my co-driver who put another 30 on it lol

holy crap! I didn't realize that you got so may runs. Has anyone done the evo school for car setup?

That's kind of wasting their and your time (and money) to be honest. If you get an instructor familiar with your car / platform, you may be able to get set-up tips from them, but that's really not the point of the school. Find a Test 'n Tune event near you to work on car set up, generally for a lot less money. The Evo schools focus on the driver. Bring whatever you want on whatever tires. The car doesn't matter so much, as the techniques and fundamentals they teach carry over very nearly universally. We actually used a set of clapped out RE-01Rs (we've been running wider RE11s) for the Evo school. Thoroughly burnt them up, but got a lot of seat time and very focused 1:1 instruction.

I heard that there was an evo school speciifically designed to teach about setup. I.e. camber, caster, tire pressure etc.

Is this an un-truth?

Yes, they do have a set-up school, sorry. When most people refer to evo school, they're talking about the Phase 1-3 driver's schools. They only do maybe 1 or 2 dial in schools a year, so they kind of get forgotten, my bad ;)

I did a test and tune last week and had well over 30 runs. I grabbed the fastest guy for a couple runs and let him drive a couple runs. When I got back in the car I was already 2 seconds faster on the same course.

I had my own personal Evo instructor and saved $240...

no worries aMaff.

Well played coon, I haven't done one myself but it sounds like you did get quite the deal.

thanks for the talk guys, lets keep it going. I like comparing technique and experiences.

I did a test and tune last week and had well over 30 runs. I grabbed the fastest guy for a couple runs and let him drive a couple runs. When I got back in the car I was already 2 seconds faster on the same course.

I had my own personal Evo instructor and saved $240...

I've done the same thing and that isn't fair. Like I said, there is a difference between a fast driver and a fast driver that can teach what they are doing. We've held mini-schools locally and they were good, hosted by National caliber drivers; but not the same.

But you are right... more seat time + experienced driver for the win! But at the same time, don't ignore an Evo school because of the cost.

lol, I'm certainly not ignoring the Evo School due to the price. It's been my wife that has ignored me when I ask her for the money for it... :p

Funny, this is a topic that my co-driver and I just got done discussing.

Here is my email to him:

One thing I noticed was that it seems like you are really gripping the steering wheel and are very "tight". I don't remember where I read about this (or maybe someone taught me, dunno), but this is something that I had to practice and had some success with.

Your hand position is good at "9 and 3", and you don't shuffle unless you need to which is good.

You will get better feed-back from the front tires if you can "push" the steering wheel instead of pulling it.
For right turns, push up with your left hand
For left turns, push up with your right hand

Push with the palms of your hand on the front of the steering wheel and place your fingertips on the back of the wheel. Your finger have the most sensitivity and will give you the finer feedback, and your palms will give you the larger info.

I put my thumbs on the front of the wheel (probably out of habit from driving on race tracks so that if the wheel jerks you don't break your thumbs).

The way I practiced it is on the street I would consciously "push" the wheel when turning, and to let go of the wheel with my other hand (have it float just off the wheel). You will probably notice a big difference, at least I did. You do that enough and it becomes habit like rev-matching every down-shift. I still do this all the time when I think about it so I don't get into the habit of pulling the wheel.

I personally think that "pushing" the steering wheel gives me greater control and allows smoother inputs and gives me the most feedback from what the tires are doing. The beauty of this is that it will translate to ANY car you drive so you can really get a better feel for what the tires are doing.

Just a thought, give it a try on the street and see what you think. I know everyone has different techniques that work, and I'm not saying yours doesn't or that mine works better.

Also relaxing your arms more to your side instead of up and out may help keep your muscles from being so tense.

This is where video has revealed alot between our two driving styles, and my co-driver has made some major strides in my car.

I put my thumbs on the front of the wheel (probably out of habit from driving on race tracks so that if the wheel jerks you don't break your thumbs).
I do that out of habit too... from learning to drive in a pothole strewn 3rd world country lol

And I never even really thought about the push vs pull philosophy... I tend to be a pusher regardless. I've never been very comfortable 'pulling' the wheel (shrug)

Last edited:
+1 for the thanks...

I have to find ways to relax when I'm out on the course.

After the test and tune last week I had blisters on my hands from strangling the wheel, lol...

Last edited:
Maybe try, not wrapping your thumbs around the wheel (if you do that now) and when(if) you get the chance on course consciously relax your hands by wiggling your fingers (on a straight of course). I do this when road racing, because I get grip lock. I think it is a little harder for autocross though. You could also get pair of gloves, I like y sparco gloves and they are the cheapest ones they make.

Back