Driver side seat issue

Cx5Dobe

:
Mazda CX-5 TR
Okay so when I first got my vehicle (back in August) I didn't noticed about a month later I noticed that my seat was different...
Odd yes, but then I thought maybe on of my co-workers were screwing with me and changed the settings on my seat.
So changed it back to "normal" (comfortable for me) fast forward probably another month maybe a few weeks, and it did it again. This time I attributed it to my dog, maybe he stepped on the recline lever.

Fast forward to yesterday. I went to the store, when I came back to my car the seat was noticeably changed, and I know no one could have messed with the seat.

Has anyone had this issue?

Car has Approx 8000 miles, no issues other then the seat one. Love my car, and this only happens what seems to be once in a blue moon....

I like my seat cranked up high, but I've noticed that after a few days, it's no longer cranked up all the way. It settles a few notches and needs to be re-cranked. I thought my wife was moving it, but nope, it happened while she was out of town for a week.

Is it possible that you just hit the electric adjustment button coming out of the car???
I know it happen to me one time or two.

I've noticed the same thing (quite annoying!), and my seat is a manual one so there is no electric switch to accidentally hit, and you have to put quite a lot of pressure one the lever to lower it. I also thought my wife kept changing it until she assured me she was not. :)

Okay so when I first got my vehicle (back in August) I didn't noticed about a month later I noticed that my seat was different...
Odd yes, but then I thought maybe on of my co-workers were screwing with me and changed the settings on my seat.
So changed it back to "normal" (comfortable for me) fast forward probably another month maybe a few weeks, and it did it again. This time I attributed it to my dog, maybe he stepped on the recline lever.

Fast forward to yesterday. I went to the store, when I came back to my car the seat was noticeably changed, and I know no one could have messed with the seat.

Has anyone had this issue?

Car has Approx 8000 miles, no issues other then the seat one. Love my car, and this only happens what seems to be once in a blue moon....

This problem was sorted between myself and my dealer, although I have the manual raise/lower seat. As pointed out, when you enter the car, particularly if the driver's door is not fully open, you tend to sit in the car (slightly sideways) and drag you other leg into the car. As you sit on the high edge of the seat cushion, it squashes down and the under-side of your leg hits the raise/lower lever. The lever is just slightly pushed down enough to lower the seat about 50mm/2" over a period of a month, (depending on your body weight). If the lever is in a similar position (on the side of the seat) of the motorised seats, it may have a quicker response. This is a particular problem if you have a garage that is narrow and you can't open the door fully to enter and exit. Exiting the car has a similar problem. This really comes down to poor seat design I'm afraid, not much you can do about it.

Last edited:
I seem to have a similar issue with the driver's side mirror. I think that repeatedly closing the door is causing the mirror to move. Seems like every few days I have to adjust it. Not so much with the passenger's side mirror, I assume because that door opens/closes less often. Maybe if we get a fix for the wobbling mirror this will go away. Anyone else notice this?

This problem was sorted between myself and my dealer, although I have the manual raise/lower seat. As pointed out, when you enter the car, particularly if the driver's door is not fully open, you tend to sit in the car (slightly sideways) and drag you other leg into the car. As you sit on the high edge of the seat cushion, it squashes down and the under-side of your leg hits the raise/lower lever. The lever is just slightly pushed down enough to lower the seat about 50mm/2" over a period of a month, (depending on your body weight).

Not to get too personal or specific, but what kind of body weight are we talking about?

Over 150?

Over 175?

Over 200?

Is this also limited to a particular seat cover/filler material?

This really comes down to poor seat design I'm afraid, not much you can do about it.

I'm 6'-04" and 215 lbs. and I love the fabric upholstered seats in my CX-5. You must get different seats in Australia because I performed a test and I cannot get the seat switches to actuate with my thigh no matter how hard I sit on the edge of the seat and do contortions with my thigh to try to operate the seat switches. It's not unlikely (on my seats) it's impossible.

I believe I have this issue on my 2014 GT.The seat back seems to be farther back each time I get in it....

My 2013 GT has the ghost driver reclining back seat!

Now I know that I am not going (screwy) ... I just accept it.

I brought up this very same issue with the dealership at the first 1000 mile inspection, and they couldn't find anything. My seat has automatic control. Sometimes I would set it to a desirable angle, but after maybe 1 hour of driving, I could tell the angle is different, slightly reclined. I almost have to adjust it daily.

Mazda SHOULD fix it.

So this is becoming super annoying. Seems like there is no fix either? Has anyone had success in their dealer fixing this?

This is occuring to me as well....although it does make it easy to get in...it seems like my face should be pressed against the window with all the times I have move the upward forward button forward. Does this just not have a memory to it?

The problem is happening because the lever that goes tilts backwards and forwards also can be push down on an angle to move it...so I am hitting it with my thigh or butt.

my wifes seat is moving every night

i-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

I'm 6'-04" and 215 lbs. and I love the fabric upholstered seats in my CX-5. You must get different seats in Australia because I performed a test and I cannot get the seat switches to actuate with my thigh no matter how hard I sit on the edge of the seat and do contortions with my thigh to try to operate the seat switches. It's not unlikely (on my seats) it's impossible.

i'm 6'3" and 240 and i dont have that problem either, you'd have to have some serious overlap/hang off the sides of the seat to touch, let alone move the controls...
my seat never changes unless i change it, my wife doesn't have any problem with hers either (other than when the cushion kept popping off)

i'm 6'3" and 240 and i dont have that problem either, you'd have to have some serious overlap/hang off the sides of the seat to touch, let alone move the controls...
my seat never changes unless i change it, my wife doesn't have any problem with hers either (other than when the cushion kept popping off)

It has nothing to do with overlap or hang in my case. I am short 5' 4" so my seat it moved up more than most I would guess. Because of the height of the car as well as the seat being push forward I turn my left leg sooner than my right leg and kind of stretch my left leg to reach the ground (trying to avoid putting additional scratches on the sill until I put my sill plates on when it is warmer out). Reaching for the ground with my left leg I notice my left upper back leg touches the button slightly which in my case moves the seat if there is pressure on the top of the button. So it comes down to pretty much sliding out of the seat and rubbing my upper back thigh on the button. It really freaked me out when I was coming home on my street and I saw a low flying bald eagle (which we see often here) and I pulled over and opened my door with feet touching the ground but leaning on the seat. I tried to take the picture of eagle but he was too fast and too far away for my Samsung Galaxy 3. When I went to got back in my seat the seat was totally reclined back which really freaked me out cause I didn't know what was happening to me (rolleyes).

Back