Drive Belts FYI

so here is my question. my belt for the alternator snapped., is it possible to put on a new belt myself? do i need to mess with the timing chain?

You can do it, it's an easy job. No you do not have to mess with your timing belt when R&R the two belts.

I just attempted to replace my belts, and i STRIPPED the power steering lock down bolt. It's the one thats behind the pulleys. Anyone have any tips on removing it??

What did you use the wrong end of the combination wrench? Its a tight fit so I'm not sure if you can fit vise grips in there. Short of that you would need to remove the pulley to gain more room and use other means to get it out.

i f-up using a open end 14mm wrench. and it's now completely rounded. DSCN0946.JPG

I would get a file and file down some edges until they are flat, then get a good pair of vice grips to completely remove the bolt. Put some penetrating oil on the bolt before you try to take it off. After its off just go to an ace hardware and get something to replace it with.

Late to the party here... I had the same issue CTpro5. The easiest solution for me was to unbolt the entire bracket from the engine and power steering pump. Then I had plenty of room to get a set of vice grips on. GL

Back