Dougefresh's Top Mount Twin Scroll GT3076 set up

dougefresh_

:
2006 MS6 wwp
Long story short, I haven't been on here in ages, but recently sold my DNP mani on here and said I'd update my sig and make a thread @ new top mount BT set up, so here it is. Rocking a SteedSpeed Twin Scroll Top Mount Mani http://www.steedspeed.com/mazdaspeed_36_mzr_turbo_manifolds, A Garret Twin Scroll 3076 w/ .78 hot side (from SU Mark), and Tial 38mm ewg, vta. s*** spools fast as hell, and is fast as hell!!! All current mods in sig. I just finished the install on 4/28, so I'm still rocking the CPE fmic (plan on custom TR8 set up w/ 2.5" pipes). For prep work, I did the following: Upgraded injector seals (stockers blow out even w/ high boost on k04, causing false kr and can lead to head damage), egr delete, BSD w/ gpwerks.com baffled oil pan. I also upgraded all my CPE fmic couplers (which are bad, esp for BT) for some much thicker ply ones from siliconeintakes.com. All T-Bolt clamps (worms = fail). I also replaced ALL my vac line, and it's all is good and leak free (unlike before prep, lol).

Fellow forum member on msf dot org Dustin aka DJ makes a custom DP and SRI/Intkae one piece, and modifies the stock oil lines to work with the custom BT top mount turbo set up, and a custom screamer pipe to go with it. PM him on msf about the kit if you're interested. There's a grocery list of s*** to buy from ATP to complete the kit, and IIRC, it ran about $160. I can't stress enough that the injector seals are a MUST do and not a 'nice' benefit. A dude name SilverDemon created them, and sold them to CPE, where you can (and I did) buy them.

Enough mumbo jumbo, here's the finished product (installed w/ Carlson + Ben 5/28 in one day... I was fully bolted w/ meth, except I was still rocking the stock DP!!!!

Ghetto CPE Couplers vs. Upgraded ones from Siliconeintakes.com. BTW, I've done 90% of the installs in my sig w/ just that lil' sears ratched set, in the very parking lot the following couplers pics were taken (FU people w/ gargages + tools galore!!! LOL JK ;))

Couplercomp1.jpg

couplercomp2.jpg

Couplercomp4.jpg

couplercomp3.jpg

Installed:
Newcouplerson1.jpg

Newcouplerson2.jpg

Newcouplerson3.jpg

Also, the CPE hot pipe wouldn't fit (different turbo location), but two 18" 2.25" L-pipes and hump hoses did the trick, with no fabbing required! Mocked up before install:
HotPipeSolutiononRadhose.jpg

Mockedupclose.jpg

I also had to ditch the stock hood liner tmic scoop thingy so I could close the hood w/ the giant intake, lol:
Gotridofduct.jpg

Install... K04 vs. TS3076:
3076vsK04.jpg

BT Install, finished pics:
BTDONE5.jpg

BTDONE4.jpg

BTDONE3.jpg

BTDONE1.jpg

I ditched the ebcs to run spring out of tuning convenience. I'm running a 16psi spring (Tial ewg), but I'm holding 20-21 psi (logs attached). I used an ATP quick tap for a boost source to the Tial:
ATPquickTap.jpg

Don't mind the zip ties, lol
EWGbottomopenbetter.jpg

That's all folks! Car is fast as hell. Max grams/sec I ever pushed on stock K04 (fully bolted except for DP) was 270g/s @ 20psi. With the ts3076, I was pushing 364 g/s and increasing @ 6,100rpms, but I had to slow down before I rammed the car in front of me, lol. Car is sick.. can't recommend BT enough to anyone. If you don't go twin scroll GT3076, go twin scroll GT35R!!!!

Last edited:
How about how close it is to the firewall are you worried about it melting the plastic?

No, there's plenty of clearance, and the custom dp/intake/oil lines came w/ a turbo sock. I didn't put it on immediately after install, but it's in the vid in the second post. Without it on, it singed the hood liner a bit. I could ditch the liner, but I don't need to w/ the turbo sock, and I don't want the intake bumping the metal hood. That liner also serves as a 'fire blanket' in case of an engine fire, those plastic tabs melt and the liner engulfs your engine. Hopefully, that never happens, lol

Sounds and looks great can't wait to see some dyno #'s and also some 1/4 times.

Sounds and looks great can't wait to see some dyno #'s and also some 1/4 times.

Thanks man, me too! I have a couple issues to iron out first. One is my bad tires... front right bubble is big now, and I need some good shoes. Saving up for some GY Eagle GTs. 2nd issue is my crankcase pressure... I'm blowing my dipstick out, lol. That's actually not good at all. I'm leaning towards running a venturi set up aka valve cover breather to OCC to fitting welded on DP past 02. That will draw vac and alleviate the excess pressure. Currently there's only a filter on the breather. Another dude had the same problem and tested mulitiple things. The venturi set up worked well, and running one to the intake didn't make much difference at all so he got rid of it. I'm still looking at what parts I want to use, and I left the welder a vmail. I also got my Labonte w/m kit back online... you can't have the start psi set to 0 or 1... so I set mine to start spraying at 2, and it works fine.... fs controller, leds, and all. I'm just spraying distilled h20 for now as a KR buffer. I want to get this venturi contraption rigged up so I can get to tuning soon.

I picked up a stock pcv valve from Mazda today that I ordered on Monday. I also ordered the rest of the good for the venturi set up from Jegs earlier. The only thing I'm lacking is the plastic Y-pipe fitting to make the 2 port SM OCC a 3-port OCC, and some 5/8" clamps. I struck out at Lowes looking of the 5/8" Y fitting, so I'm about to search MacMasters-Carr. Here's a diagram of what I'm doing. The check valve at the CC is just a fresh OEM one. Also, I'm not doing the breather set up in this diagram.... it has been tested, and adds 0 benefit over the rest of the set up w/ the venturi.

evacsystemlayout.jpg

That's all folks! If anyone is interested, PM me for more details, or I'll post a full parts slist when I'm less liquored up!!! lol

get that s*** tuned soon! lol

I can't!!! I have to fix this mechanical issue with excessive crankcase pressure first. I already ordered everything from Jegs though. Since I have to take the mani off again to access the stock pcv valve, I'm going to delete the flappers, add this diode so I don't get a CEL, and put a Sure intake mani spacer back in. I'm pushing so much air that I was getting some wot KR vs the K04 set up. So, I could use a 15F drop in Bats (that how much mine dropped before).

However, I got my w/m kit working and did a wot pull yesterday that was KR free, thanks to spraying 100% water (distilled of course) w/ a D05 nozzle. Start spray at 2psi, full spray at 15 :) As soon I get to the venturi/spacer/vtcs delete install, I'll start tuning. I need to get that in order, and I also need MOAR TIMING!!! I may switch from H20 to 50/50 water/meth. I brewed up 10 gallons of it last November, and it's stock piled in my closet, lol.

ah timing is not all that importat... KR is more important.
why add timing if the car is just gonna pull it away? good luck with your issues. i have my own...

ah timing is not all that importat... KR is more important.
why add timing if the car is just gonna pull it away? good luck with your issues. i have my own...

Timing and KR are pretty related, lol. My car gets 0 KR now while spraying H20 now, so no timing is being pulled. I'm sure I'll have room to add more timing running w/m too. I only have one issue (crankcase pressure), but it's already figured out...just waiting on parts from Jegs :). GL w/ whatever your problems are mang

Looks pretty beastly, douge... and that 2nd gear pull seemed pretty quick (and loud). Nice!

Thanks bro, it was a long time in the works! She hauls ass. I never really named any of my cars before, but I now refer to her as The Beast, lol. I got all my Jegs parts, and I'm just waiting on my intake mani spacer, and I should have the mechanical bs straightened out next week. Then on to tuning. After some new tires when she's all tuned, I'll hop on a dyno. Switching from H20 to 50/50 meth next week as well.

Got the venturi set up done tonight, and changed out the stock pcv valve for a new one (that was a PITA!!!). Needed a 90* bend for the OCC hose I picked up late tonight before watching the Bruins kick ass. I just need to jack here up, pop the 90* elbow in, and put the power steering pump back on. I also popped in an intake mani spacer while I was at it. Now I just need to see my buddy welder when he's available, and get the DP drilled and the slash pipe welded on, hook up the OCC line that's tucked up under the car w/ a check valve, and I'm ready to tune!!! I'm pushing just shy of 370g/s.... took this with the DH the other night:

pigrich.jpg

Got a Baseline Dyno a couple days ago...

She put down 338awhp, and 318awtq on a DynoJet a couple days ago @ 20psi. I swapped the heavy spring into the Hallman MBC, and I'll be turning the boost up to 22-23 psi soon. Graph attached as well as AP datalogs from all 4 pulls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kg8lPsRgFc

Attachments

• BT DYNO GRAPH- UNCORRECTED.jpg
    BT DYNO GRAPH- UNCORRECTED.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 158
  • BT DYNO ONE 3rd Gear.xls
    31 KB · Views: 149
  • Dyno Run 2 4th gear.xls
    40.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Dyno Run 3 4th gear.xls
    37 KB · Views: 162
  • Dyno Run 4 3rd Gear.xls