Does CAI gives better gas millege?

A friend of my just purchased a MS3, He got better gas millege after installing a MS CAI. I was wondering would the CX-7 get better gas millege as well if I would install a CAI too?

Probably not really measurable as too many other variables effect fuel economy. If it were an obvious and measurable increase I think the manufacture would have done it. JMO

erhayes said:
Probably not really measurable as too many other variables effect fuel economy. If it were an obvious and measurable increase I think the manufacture would have done it. JMO

Not necessarily true.

Due to noise, emissions, cost they may choose not to do many performance modifications that might also benefit mileage.

But air intakes make small increases

I have seen out of my experience that intakes will give you a little bit better gas mileage. A little more power, and especially improved engine response will help due to the fact takes a little less effort to get up to speed.

erhayes said:

Ummm...the CX-7 does have CAI. Some say it's not as good as aftermarket units, but if you look at your air box, you'll note that there's a tube at the bottom, leading up to a scoop pointed forward. That's CAI.

azcat said:
Ummm...the CX-7 does have CAI. Some say it's not as good as aftermarket units, but if you look at your air box, you'll note that there's a tube at the bottom, leading up to a scoop pointed forward. That's CAI.

But it has baffles and a resonator which slows and reduces the flow of cold air. Thus the need for an aftermarket CAI which flows more CFM(ricer)

A Cold Air Intake CAN give you better mileage provided you don't keep sticking your foot in the gas because you like the performance increase of the engine.
That's the hard part. So in the end the answer is probably not.

1killercls said:
But it has baffles and a resonator which slows and reduces the flow of cold air. Thus the need for an aftermarket CAI which flows more CFM(ricer)

Maybe. Maybe not. On the M1 Miatas, the resonator on the OEM air crossflow tube acts like a shock absorber, smoothing out the air flow when the intake valves close, and giving more power. Don't know how this one works. Have to think that the engineering department at Mazda has a bigger R&D budget than most tuners. OTOH, they have more restrictions regarding noise, etc.

azcat said:
Maybe. Maybe not. On the M1 Miatas, the resonator on the OEM air crossflow tube acts like a shock absorber, smoothing out the air flow when the intake valves close, and giving more power. Don't know how this one works. Have to think that the engineering department at Mazda has a bigger R&D budget than most tuners. OTOH, they have more restrictions regarding noise, etc.

In all my years I have never heard such a thing...got a link that describes how that works?(cool)

1killercls said:
In all my years I have never heard such a thing...got a link that describes how that works?(cool)

This goes back, ummm...about a decade. Here's a link to a post that was well after the post I remember.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=229964&highlight=intake+resonator

I have the Randall CAI on my M1 Miata. It's a carbon fiber tube that goes from the OEM airbox to the plenum below the windshield. You have to cut a hole (big gulp) in the firewall, but it allows the airbox to suck in air from the base of the windshield. Theoretically, you get a little ram air effect and colder air. Practically, you get cooler air and a really neat growl.

Back on topic, the OEM Miata air intake was restricted by the OEM airbox, and the resonator actually was beneficial. Again, I have to think that Mazda's R&D department/budget is bigger than the aftermarket, but lives under different rules.

azcat said:
This goes back, ummm...about a decade. Here's a link to a post that was well after the post I remember.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=229964&highlight=intake+resonator

I have the Randall CAI on my M1 Miata. It's a carbon fiber tube that goes from the OEM airbox to the plenum below the windshield. You have to cut a hole (big gulp) in the firewall, but it allows the airbox to suck in air from the base of the windshield. Theoretically, you get a little ram air effect and colder air. Practically, you get cooler air and a really neat growl.

Back on topic, the OEM Miata air intake was restricted by the OEM airbox, and the resonator actually was beneficial. Again, I have to think that Mazda's R&D department/budget is bigger than the aftermarket, but lives under different rules.
No offense but he is way off the mark. Appreciate the link though. None of his points were substantiated with any sort of hard data. If you think mazda puts resonators in intakes for performance gains...well lets just say a million dynos with CAIs added prove that theory to be incorrect.

In short CAI > any stock air box.

I have the ms cai on my ms3 and I get 40-50 miles more per every tank of gas than I did without it. I know its unbelievable but its true. The ms3 runs incredibly rich so leaning it out really improves gas milage while netting significant power gains. On the same exact stretch of highway a week apart with similar driving conditions and weather I averaged 26 mpg without the cai and 29.5 with it.

Back