Dodgy Mod

sport_20

:
Mazda
Okay, well I was riding in my mates cough..honda..cough the other day when I noticed his speedo was not going. When I asked him why he proceed to reach under the dash and flick a switch which in turn brought the speedo back to life. Bloody good I thought to myself - no speedo = no mileage.

Anyone worked out how to do this to their P5??? (cool)

if you just found the wire that supplies power to it, I'm sure you could just install a switch

aren't ours run by the computer? i've taken my gauge cluster out to put in daveb rings and when i reinstalled it, the trip meter reset, but the mileage was there.

Vulcanon said:
if you just found the wire that supplies power to it, I'm sure you could just install a switch

Yeah, I imagine this to be true. It is just wire finding bit that leads to :confused:

Yeah I think that it should be possible to shut the power off the the speedo motor though.

mountjonas said:
aren't ours run by the computer? i've taken my gauge cluster out to put in daveb rings and when i reinstalled it, the trip meter reset, but the mileage was there.

I know of one member on this board who has had his gauges unconnected for several months. His mileage didn't go up at all. He now has it reconnected and in for warranty work with about "13,000" miles after owning the car for about 1.5 years.

can you say.........unplug your speed sensor?(lick) hahahahahaha i dont know what thats all about! btw, i have 9,000 miles in two years.(naughty)

A friend tried that with his Miata - threw a code he couldn't clear.

Britt

no, the comp still reads it, you have to completely disconnect the speed/mileage censor. Cause the comp keeps the data, and even if you can manipulate the counter, the comp still has the info. Disconnecting the said censor, makes the computer not know that there has been miles put on, and cannot correct the milegae counter. Therefor, the only way to tell the mileage, would be by engine and body and frame wear and s***. And if you are forgiving on your car, and take good care of it, that can be a low value, as well as you counter. Just when/if you do this, be careful, make sure you put on some miles, otherwise you can be charged.

Yup, when it was time to do my indiglo gauges it took it somewhere because I was afraid of breaking any needles. Well, they ended up breaking a needle and replaced my cluster with another one. At the time I had about 12k, then after the new cluster I was at 600. That raises the question if the real mileage can ever be determined, can it be done?

i drove my Mustang around for about a year and a half without a speedometer or odometer... That's when you get to learn how fast you're going by knowing your speed through your current RPMs and your current gear.

About the computer?

I changed ECUs with a friend. He had a turbo'd MP3 and the timing was too advanced for his turbo. After he got his NEW engine we swapped ECU's. He had 70K and I had 28K and after the swap our milage stayed the same.

With the MP3 ECU I still had 28K and he had the 70K on his car.

Swapped computers and the mileage stayed with the cars not the ECU's.

Hmm??

I got 38K and still no problems. Just better throttle responce and an extra MPG or 2.

Last edited:
OK ENOUGH BULL s***!

The milage stays in the cluster not in the ECU or in the car.It is all self contained in the Cluster assembly.
If the speedo is not registering then the milage wont move.If the cluster is removed,the Car milage is retained in hard memory for replacement and the tempory milage,AKA trip milage is reset.It is not stored in hard memory.

God you guys spread sooo much mis- information on this board.
Matt(fu)

ForceFed said:
OK ENOUGH BULL s***!

The milage stays in the cluster not in the ECU or in the car.It is all self contained in the Cluster assembly.
If the speedo is not registering then the milage wont move.If the cluster is removed,the Car milage is retained in hard memory for replacement and the tempory milage,AKA trip milage is reset.It is not stored in hard memory.

God you guys spread sooo much mis- information on this board.
Matt(fu)

Thanks for the info but the attitude wasn't needed.

rednecks_r_us said:
Thanks for the info but the attitude wasn't needed.
Yes actually it was ,seeing how I have went over this NUMEROUS times.
This is correct info.It helps to know how things work.I wish some members of this board would stop passing out info they think is true when in fact they really dont know it to be fact.Soo much BS flying around this place that it is AMAZING that anything gets done right?
Matt

Back