Dodge Mazda5 competitor?

superbike7

:
2007 Touring
I'll give you a topic. First the C-max, then the Orlando, now the Chrysler boys. Talk amongst yourselves.

dodge-small-MPV-illustration.jpg

We've been picking up bits and pieces of Chrysler product news since Fiat laid out The Pentastar's five year plan back in November, but other than the refreshes planned for the next year we're still a way off from any solid details. Rumors have been trickling in, though, and the latest nugget comes from Motor Trend in the form of a seven-passenger MPV for the Dodge brand. The supposed people hauler would be based on a C-platform Fiat architecture to compete with the Mazda5 and the forthcoming Ford Focus C-Max.

Since Dodge is Chrysler's performance division, the five- or seven-seater would likely feature an expressive design that would convey a sportiness not found in the run-of-the-mill crossover or wagon. Powertrains could well come from Turn, Italy in the form of Fiat's efficient MultiAir engine lineup with an emphasis on sporty performance. MT says the MPV could hit showrooms in calendar year 2012.

Does a sporty MPV make sense for Dodge? We're thinking yes, considering the fact that Dodge is The Pentastar's volume brand, and a sleek people hauler would seemingly fit in the lineup a lot better than the current Grand Caravan. Click on the above image to view MT's full rendering. Fairly attractive if you ask us.

[MotorTrend via Autoblog]

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't look like that, but it should still be interesting. Not for me though until Chrysler has years of extremely non-Chrysler quality going.

Thanks superbike7, edited a little to see more meat upfront ;)

Nice rendering, but I'm afraid it can be further Dodge-ized :(

If the Chevy killed its own version, I bet Chrysler even has less design and "productization" moolah to risk at this point (dunno)

It very possibly WILL look like that. Fiat is taking over all of Chrysler's European op's. Yes that sucks when you think of the global ramifications, but for the enthusiast it's awesome.

It means that people with taste will once again be designing and building Chrysler products. Euro-designed parts will inevitably make their way to the N. American markets in the Future.

Off-topic. Viper is now dead but apparently resurrection may come with an Italian chassis.

Well, at least it means there is a real expriation date for the Journey. Its not really that bad of a vehicle, but if you want small & fuel efficient, you get a 5, and if you want a big people-hauler, you get a Flex or Traverse. You don't buy something that sits dead in the middle.

Fiat's UK website doesn't show alot of vehicles - just the 500, Grande Punto, Qubo and something else I forget. Anyway, this is obviously a European MPV design, most likely an existing Fiat.

Fiat's UK website doesn't show alot of vehicles - just the 500, Grande Punto, Qubo and something else I forget. Anyway, this is obviously a European MPV design, most likely an existing Fiat.

Y'er right. But they are an Italian conglomerate and I'm guessing have varying model lineups for different markets. Even in Europe. With their stake in Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, and Lancia that's got to have some good implications.

Latest posts

Back