Docking station Carputer project?

Tell, the missing links are:

Screen
Keyboard

Keyboard is easily obtainable, but the screen is not (financially).

wild. . ..routis 2004 eh?

i want to get a copy of that. . but im not shelling the money out for it though. . don't think its worth 100 bux

ive been messing with VOICES frontend. .its bad ass. . .im trying to run their gps module in mediacar and getting that to work. .. its so cool. . then i gotta find a small mice to use voice commands while driving

LinuxRacr said:
This is the screen setup I want to go with: http://www.lilliput.cn/619.htm
618b.jpg

This is how I want to run it: http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_Lilliput-to-Indash_HowTo.html

In_Dash_LCD_Case.jpg

You ever get this set-up? By the sounds of it, you haven't, but thought I'd double check. Also, you know of any other good in-dash solutions?

Thanks in advance!

good choice on a xenarc .. . .. mine has been running fine for the last 2 years and i don't plan on relacing it

i actually just bought a lilliput for my friend to mold into his 3 hatch and i just powered it up right now and im disappointed with the quality . . ..text seems washed out and colors just aren't as vivid. . ..im saying my 2 year old screen looks better. . granted he only paid 300 and i paid 410 but that was 2 years ago

Glad I went with the Xenarc then. I just re-imaged my HP Pavilion N5190 with Win XP to get rid of that crappy-ass Windows ME! I should be installing my touch-screen software today, and then working on the details of the physical install of the docking station.

LinuxRacr said:
Glad I went with the Xenarc then. I just re-imaged my HP Pavilion N5190 with Win XP to get rid of that crappy-ass Windows ME! I should be installing my touch-screen software today, and then working on the details of the physical install of the docking station.

What front-end you planning on running on the xenarc?

Not sure yet. I do have some updated pictures of the testing I did tonight though. As a matter of fact, I am posting this using my new Xenarc:

normal_DSCF0908.JPG

normal_DSCF0907.JPG

normal_DSCF0905.JPG

normal_DSCF0904.JPG

normal_DSCF0911.JPG

The touchscreen softwar is installed, and working. More to follow.

Last edited:
looking good man, can't wait to see that up'n running. I have to say that screen is very tempting.

The screen is not permenantly installed. I am having issues with the power cable clearing the metal frame behind the dash. Anyhow, this is how it looks in my car:

normal_DSCF0912.JPG

As you can see, it protrudes a little, but not too much!
normal_DSCF0915.JPG

normal_DSCF0914.JPG

normal_DSCF0916.JPG

I will have to get my hands on a hammer and work out the metal frame issues behind the dash. :mad:

NOTE: The fingerprints on the screen are from using the touchscreen. :D

Last edited:
Ok, I got the monitor to fit. It definitely protrudes out, and says "here I am!" I still have to hook up power, and mount my laptop. I also finally stowed my Haltech E6X away, and put my passenger side floor back together again.

Nope. The cage stops right it right there. Also, when the screen is out, it is almost touching the dash. I could take the cage off and try?

Last edited:
Back