Do OEM wheel mfgr's Powder Coat or Paint?

Wurf

:
2010 CX9 Blue
Just wondering if anybody has the facts on how wheels are finished at most wheel factories and weather most of them are either painted or powder coated. I guess if you have any specific info on how Mazda's OEM wheels are finished in particular, that would be great.

I just wonder if two part paint is how most of them are done or not really.

Thanks

I sort of figured that. I wonder if they use a particular type of paint or brand or anything special?

The RX8's I want to refinish have held up great considering they are from a 2006. Chips and wear from normal use are minimal.

Where they didn't do so well is the curb rash and scratches on the face of the wheel from sliding them around on top each other in storage.

That said, I'm not investing in powder coat based on responses here regarding the OEM finish. The wheels I've seen powder coated look fantastic - granted. It's just too expensive and more difficult to repair down the road for me.

I'm now debating weather to rattle can them or have them shot with two part paint and cleared by a body shop. Leaning toward the later but not particularly looking forward to all the prep work ahead of me either way.

One way or another they will look nice for next season.

Thanks to all for replies.

Back