Do I need new shocks AGAIN?

djs9164

:
2006 Mazda 5 Sport
2006 Sport 61000 miles. Rear shocks were replaced at 52000 miles due to leaks. Replaced with Monroe replacement shocks. A week ago i noticed a rattle coming from behind the rear left panel. I removed the cup holder insert and noticed that the screw securing the left rear shock was quite loose and the noise was coming from the vibration. I put a socket on the screw thinking it may have been loose but it never gets tighter. I checked the shock on the opposite side and it was unable to budge with a socket on it. Is that shock broken, or is there a special way to tighten a loose screw, actually does the loose screw indicate another problem. Thanks in advance.

Most shock have a flat or Allen socket at the end of the rod to hold while you tighten the nut. It does not mean you need new shock, it just mean you need to tighten the bolt until it compress the bushing.

Shock Bolt

Is there some specification for torque on that bolt? I will tighten it myself if there is not.

There should but I really do not know. I believe it should be pretty low. Maybe like around 14-22 Ft. Lbs.
The shock upper bolt usually pretty small so do not over tighten it or it would snap.

Broken shock

Brought the car back to the dealer who installed the shocks. He confirmed the problem and noted that the nut was full tight. (When applying pressure the mechanic broke the shock). The shock was DAMAGED before the mechanic snapped it. If I can expect to get 5K miles out of a set of shocks this car will not survive the 30K miles a year I put on it.:(

I'd also double check with your installer because I'm pretty sure Monroe struts come with a limited lifetime warranty. I know my Monroe rear struts did, we specifically talked about it and I was told that if they ever went on me, I could just bring them back and they'd be replaced no questions asked. This was at a local Midas shop. It's the same with the KYB GR2's I had installed up front.

Last edited:
Mazda/KYB is supply the same shocks/struts for the 5 as the 3 while Koni has special shocks for the 5 and Speed 3 that has heavy duty valving compared to the ones they make for the 3 to account for the heavier weight. I would never get OE shocks/struts.

As i wrote in another thread i have found out that there is only three manufacturers of shocks for the 5.
KYB (stock) also sold as kayaba-monroe and probably also other names, but the same S...
And then there is the Koni's but they are more expensive.
And the third make is sachs, they cost a little more than KYB here in europe, i will buy them when i have to change.
But i dont know how easy it is to find the sachs over there, but they are here (german)
http://cgi.ebay.de/2-SACHS-Stosdamp...9516?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item3a5f8538cc

Back