Do i need a camber kit for coilovers?

ThaDover

:
2002 mazda protege 5
I would like to install coilovers on my mp5. Will i need a camber kit to get the alignment right?
I only want to lower it an inch. I am not at all interested in slamming it. I just want to improve the handling.

I THINK you'll be fine on stock wheels. I lowered my p5 moderately and I rubbed without a camber kit in the rear, but I really think it was my aftermarket wheels. The offset is 30something and they're 7" wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 inch is nothing. Stock adjustments should be able to dial that in.

If you're getting coilovers, do yourself a favor and buy some with camber plates built in. Well worth it

Thanks. I really just want to improve the handling a little. Its really kinda all the car has going for it. Handling and looks. I love taking curves in the car.

if handling is king, look to tires first then coilovers if they meet the limits of the suspension. Coilovers alone wont make the car faster could make it worse by overloading hard tires.

if handling is king, look to tires first then coilovers if they meet the limits of the suspension. Coilovers alone wont make the car faster could make it worse by overloading hard tires.
I couldn't agree more. A good set of tires is the single biggest bang-for-the-buck modification you can get. Unless you track the car, coilovers might be a bit of an overkill anyway. Tokico Blue strut/Racing Beat spring combo is what the MSP came with stock, and it's among the best cornering FWD cars ever built.

EDIT: No is the answer to your question. You don't need a camber kit to lower the car an inch or so. All good.

Last edited:
Can i get some suggestions on where to shop for P5 parts? Looking for the tokicos, but i want to make sure they fit my car...

Back