Disabling the ABS DIE DIE DIE!

i like having my EBD braking... and its been tested in magazines abs cars stop faster than non abs cars... maybe except when you're auto x-ing...

I think the ABS and EDB work independantly. I will look for a EDB fuse if there is one.

I have no problem with the EDB system and think it is probably pretty advantagious. The ABS system however, is dangerous in my opinion for reason stated above. I would imagine the EDB system underlies the ABS system so that if ABS is disabled it won't affect the EDB. Since all the EDB does is control the braking power to your wheels. It doesn't look to see if they are locking up.

Maybe someone knows for sure.

I could see EBD helping in evening out the braking force between front and rear. But still dislike the ABS systems for driving feel and driver confindence. I have way more confindence in myself and learned brake control than that of a computer.

Not sure but would think the EBD would work seperatly from the ABS. The ABS is generally there to keep wheels from locking up and sliding. The EBD is to help even out the brake pressures between front and rear depending on vech load weight. Not entirely dependant on if the wheels are locking. But dunno exactly have researched the EBD system yet.

Pulling the ABS fuse also disables EBD.
I pull the fuse when I autox/solo, and put it back when I'm done for the day.
It causes the lights to come on, otherwise car drives like normal.
Much better braking performance without it when autoxing.
ABS will only make a car stop in shorter distances in certain conditions. It's there as a safety feature for people who can't threshold brake.

I took the fuse out. I don't have any really good way to prove that it disables the EBD as well. It certainly takes the ABS out. I would think EBD would be a huge benefit to AutoX if it worked properly.

Logan how do u tell if it took out EBD?

Last edited:
ForceFed said:
Maybe i mis-understood you but that gear is a magnetic sensor for the ABS.It rotates with the hub and the actual sensor is either right next to it or above it(depending on configuration)and sense the rotation of the wheels(or lack of it).Some one else please chime in here if I am wrong?

This is basically correct. The toothed ring is actually called an exciter ring. There is a "Hall effect" sensor that sits above or near that (they do not touch). Basically when each tooth on the exciter ring passes the sensor at some speed a measurable charge is produced. So the computer monitors for a charge present and its rate. If the wheel is not turning there is no signal from thet sensor and ABS is engaged. Most new veicles have a speed sensor that works exactly the same way. Just counting the frequency of the teeth passing and converting that to a speed.

monkeymsp said:
This is basically correct. The toothed ring is actually called an exciter ring. There is a "Hall effect" sensor that sits above or near that (they do not touch). Basically when each tooth on the exciter ring passes the sensor at some speed a measurable charge is produced. So the computer monitors for a charge present and its rate. If the wheel is not turning there is no signal from thet sensor and ABS is engaged. Most new veicles have a speed sensor that works exactly the same way. Just counting the frequency of the teeth passing and converting that to a speed.

It's not a hall-effect. It is a PM generator, but it serves the same purpose. The sensor "sees" fluctuations in the magnetic field as a conductor (that toothed gear) passes through it.

And no, the auto industry has not changed it recently, the 93 Prelude had the same thing.

My ABS activated the other day pulling into the liquor store at about 5mph. I didn't notice any gravel on the road or anything and it scared the chit out of me because I wasn't expecting it. Surprised me that it was so easily activated.

When I had my RX-7, I disabled the ABS by taking a short piece of brake hose and bypassing the ABS unit under the hood. That thing weighed like 50lbs as it is. Then I took out the bulb in the dash because the ECU was looking for the ABS module even though it wasn't in the car anymore...lol

Go Mifune said:
Oh didn't think of that. I am not really up on my rules, but if I disable ABS that would take me out of D-Stock class?

Yes. You can't even run street prepared with the ABS disabled. Don't know why, but it's in the rules. You would have to move to a full Prepared or Modified class. Not worth it. Just to go along, yes, the ABS in the Speed is crap. It might not be as bad if it didn't come on so damn easily...

dont know if any of you have noticed, but... the reason mine is going off all the time is too much bias going to the rear.. rear is trying to lock up in the simplest of situations.... when i pull the fuse and jam on the brakes at speed, i go in total drift mode... as if im pulling on the ebrake....

Back